Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2004, 02:40 AM   #15

As I understand it, the Supreme Court ruled that you have the right to defend your residence whether it's permanent or temporary. Therefore, a motel room, campsite tent and, I assume, RV, are temporary homes, and, within reasonable boundaries, you have the right to be in possession of a firearm within that residence. So it's not a matter of a concealed weapons permit, but whether you're stupid enough to flash the gun and let everyone know you have a firearm in your coach, and become a perceived public nuisance. California State Parks have taken that position. We don't see it, it ain't there. You do something stupid with it, we call out the local county's SWAT team.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2004, 05:50 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I always carry a pistol in my belt, shotgun and or rifle in the camper.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:29 AM   #17

We carry a sweet 16 ga.I retired after 30 years working in a max security prison.I know what kind of violent low lifes the system releases everyday.

2001 chevy crew 8.1 allison air bags 7042# dry 2001 Bigfoot 3000 1011,2.5 onan,2 trojan t-105 batts 3668# dry 10710 total
Old 03-09-2004, 07:22 AM   #18

I'm in the always catagory also. The wife and I practice weekly.

Tim

04 2500HD LT CC SB 8.1/ALLISON 4X4
04 OPEN ROAD 357 RLDS-5
PULLRITE/PRODIGY

04 OPEN ROAD 357 RLDS-5
Old 03-09-2004, 07:37 AM   #19

Well this is my home and I have a right to have a legal weapon in it. A few years ago the federal laws were rewritten to stop individual states from making out of staters lawbreakers. What the law now states is, "if you are traveling, and are legal in the state you originate in, and will be legal in the state you tell them you are going to, then the state cannot prosecute you for having a legal weapon". Always armed.
Also, Semper Fi

Bubba
2001 40' Beaver Thunder
03Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
Old 03-09-2004, 08:09 AM   #20

"I know what kind of violent low lifes the system releases everyday."

I started another thread about Rv Security and your post is exactly why I wanted to know what measures can be taken in that area .

Thx for the eye openner!
Old 03-09-2004, 08:31 AM   #21

As a peace officer I always carry. I can. However, some states don't even recognize my authority as a peace officer to carry a firearm on my person. That being said, this subject should never become an issue unless you actually use your firearm, brandish it or you and your RV are searched. If you used it let's hope that you properly trained and this was a legitimate "use of (deadly) force" scenario. If you brandish the weapon it should only be because use of deadly force was justified. If you're being searched the cops probably have other suspicions about your character. If you are a convicted felon...I don't care how long ago, don't carry a firearm, period.

Mike & Angela
'99 Sunnybrook/Mobile Scout 26cks
'03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC...Hemi
'95 HD FLHR Road King (his)
'02 HD XL1200C Sportster(hers)

'99 Sunnybrook/Mobile Scout 26cks
Old 03-09-2004, 08:38 AM   #22

We have them on board too. But only like a spare tire. If we need them, they're there. But we hope to never need them. I am sure all of the others with guns onboard would also agree with that. We have never needed them thus far on the road. Drew my weapon on duty several times, and at my in town home several times, but thankfully never had to shoot. Never needed them on the road.

Brian you raised some good points. But there are some blurred distinctions between defining an RV as domicile or vehicle. For example, we keep the guns in the trailer and do not have access to them on the road. In some states, if it is loaded and within reach of the driver, the fact of possessing a gun or guns becomes a different matter. Especially when in a Tow vehicle pulling your rig. That is subject to vehicle laws all the way. If in the trailer even the most anti-gun community will have a hard, if not impossible case.

In a motorhome things change dramatically. If a loaded gun is within reach of the driver when underway, a case can be made if it is illegal to travel in that state or municipality with a loaded gun in reach of the driver or passenger while underway. That is a different situation entirely from passing through with guns unloaded and put away.

I am not proposing that folks put them away or not. The point is that the distinction is important. If a gun is locked in a box under the bed in a MH, and is found for whatever reason, it would be as hard a case to make as with a trailer. I am only referring to while underway on the road. When it is parked I would think all LE would agree that it becomes domicile.

By the same token law abiding citizens, as stated, are not harassed about guns if no other crime or probable cause exists.

I agree with the statement about no guns in Mexico. But if you have guns, and leave them on a Mexico trip, be very sure that there is not one round of ammo on board, loose or otherwise. They will look at that as the same as having the gun.

Clarification on Canada. Handguns are forbidden period. However, you can legally take a shotgun or long gun, provided it is not on the forbidden weapon list (Assault rifles, short barrels etc.)

It involves going to their website, downloading a few forms, and paying the fee of $50.00 Canadian, which is about $30.00 US. Here are the rules to bring a long gun legally through Canada:
Canada Rules

Here is the form you will need, which must be filled out ahead of time in triplicate, and presented to the border Patrol at the Canadian entry point:
Form

It is still illegal to take even the above legal weapons through Canada if you declare they are for self defense against humans. I brought along just my shotgun for defense against dangerous animals in the North.

RV
http://www.rvroadie.com
Old 03-09-2004, 09:07 AM   #23

Motorjock,
Thanks for serving and stay safe.
Semper Fi

1998 Holidya Rambler Vacationer.

Tom, Kathy and Sydney
Old 03-09-2004, 10:59 AM   #24

Thanks to all for trying to make this sink in my dense head ..

Now, The only thing I want to carry with me to SC is a 12g shotgun and stored in My TT and under my bed.

Obviously I could do what I please with it in NH, by means of carrying it, Displaying it on my rear window like a hunter. So, with a shotgun I shouldnt even have to bother with any sort of permits for Mass, Conn, NY, Penn, Maryland, VA, and SC.. OR do I..

I do not want to carry my pistol in my trailer just my shotgun..

To all those out there about my past, I have a perfect record and for this reason, that is why Im asking for some help with this issue..

Seriously, parking in Wallyworld or the Flying J and some idiot thats on drugs or whatever his reason tries to break in, I need some sort of protection.. RIGHT???

Thanks again for your help..

John
01 2500 Dodge Ram quadcab 4x4
03 Springdale 29'

04.5 2500 Dodge Ram quadcab 4x4 Turbo Diesel.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:14 PM   #25

I wish they would come out with a nation wide permit and stop all this BS...They make it almost impossible to carry a pistol on your person when traveling. Politics are amazing...lol.

John, you have a valid point in having a rifle in the trailer.
Jim Hutch
03 Prowler Lynx 830y
01 Burb 2500 LT 6Lt 3.73
00 GMC Safari awd
Reese W/D and D/C, Prodigy controller
Old 03-09-2004, 12:20 PM   #26

I hung my guns up, I carry in my trailer a Easton, does wonders on knee caps.

Glenn 'Pepper'
Destrehan, Louisiana
2003 Outback 25RS-S
'98 Chevy Tahoe V8, 5.7

Destrehan, Louisiana
Old 03-09-2004, 01:05 PM   #27

John,
It has already been established that you would be fine carrying anything from state to state. Subject to the distinctions I mentioned above.

But the decision to carry is strictly yours, and yours alone. For example if you took my statement that we have never needed one and made your decision based on that, I would be horrified, especially if you became the one in a million. (Somebody always wins the lottery despite the odds right? Just in the right place and number at the right time.)

Your question was a good one, but those of us that have been RVing for awhile can tell you that it isn't the same out in the places most of us go, as in the cities. On the other hand it is reasonable and rational to have a last ditch defense. It is fine to choose not to have that as well. I choose to, as have many others, others choose not to, as have another many others. Both viewpoints are valid decisions for each. But whether you carry or not should not be driven by the media that sensationalizes the reportage with an "if it bleeds, it leads" approach. Nor should stereotypes of law abiding gun owners, or anti Gun advocates. Nor should politics enter into the equation.

It is a highly personal decision for each of us, and made by a majority that are not politically divisive, not stereotypical, and rational. It is the 10% at either extreme that give all of us a bad name, gun owners and non-gun owners alike.

You're getting a remarkably unbiased set of replies in this thread, along with a lot of good and valid information.

Take it all in, do a little back up research of your own, and make YOUR decision.

You now have a lot more information to make an informed decision of your own, than you had before!

RV
http://www.rvroadie.com
Old 03-09-2004, 01:38 PM   #28

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
Yes,30/30 and 380 with hand gun permit good in
22 states.

2001 Travel Supreme
36' Diesel
"Smoky's Den" on the rear. Towing Blue PT Cruiser.

36' Diesel
Closed Thread