Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2009, 02:10 AM   #309

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciesMom View Post
My Taurus .38 is sitting in a storage locker at an RV park on the border of US/Canada. It's been there so long, I can buy a new one for what I'd pay in storage fees, so I am. I feel naked without my handgun. I've carried one since 1984 . . . I'm of the opinion that if the crazies are going to have guns, then I'm going to have a fighting chance to defend myself. I don't have kids - no nieces, nephews or grandkids . . . and kids are never in my rig. I don't think the doggies will go looking for the gun so I feel safe in having one with me. Now that I'm going to be boondocking a lot, I'm definitely going shopping for a new one.
When one first realizes that they may or can not retrieve a weapon from storage at at gun store or other storage facility, it is prudent to make arrangements in advance to have the weapon shipped to a licensed gun dealer near their home where they can claim it upon their return. As another option, one can carry cheap inexpensive throwaway guns when venturing into Canada.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2009, 02:20 AM   #310

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I prefer a 380 semi auto and a 12 ga pump. The "click click' sound is international and instantly recognizable in the dark.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #311

Winnebago Owners Club
I may have answered this post long ago. We don't carry a pistol because you may hurt someone next door but we do have a "short" lol shotgun. We have never felt unsafe in our rig but after the DC snipers were caught at a reststop near our home, and a tourist was killed in a failed robbery at another reststop 9 miles from us ,we decided to take it along just in case. We have traveled all over Alaska and Canada sans gun but do put it in the rig otherwise, needs stored somewhere.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #312
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We do but hope to never have to use it.

There was recent local confirmation that arming yourself may be a good idea (assuming you are willing to train appropriately and remain competent in the use of the firearm of your choice):

This past weekend in Botetourt County, VA, a family was alerted to an individual outside their home yelling and beating on the door/s. The husband called 9-1-1, gave the phone to his wife and instructed her to take the children to a far room. The husband armed himself with a shotgun and told the intruder to leave and that he was armed. The intruder continued to yell and scream, and proceeded to use a metal patio chair to break thru a patio door. The homeowner (clearly heard on 9-1-1 recording) repeatedly told the intruder to go away and that he was armed. Nevertheless, the man crashed thru the door at which time the homeowner shot and killed the man. No charges have been filed, as the commonwealth's attorney ruled it a justifiable action.

The intruder was unknown to the family and had a history of substance abuse and violent behavior. He was with a friend who had just put him out of his car since he was intoxicated and getting violent with him.

It is a sad event but one that demonstrates, IMO, that there is justification for responsible citizens who choose to do so to arm themselves.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #313

Monaco Owners Club
Not to give away info that could be used by the bad guys but for those that have shotguns, how do you secure them in the MH if traveling with kids / grandkids and when you leave for a period of time?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:24 AM   #314

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Historically this thread has provided some of the most blustery, wind-filled responses that an RV forum could provide.

Maybe I'm dumber, smarter, or just feel safer then a lot of the puff-up-the-chest types here, ... but I pack beer and my dogs in my RV and leave my .357 and .45 at home locked in their safes.

beer, dogs, fun times, and thin walled RV's don't mix well with old foggies who don't keep up at the practice range,

maybe find another place to camp ??
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #315

The interesting thing is that we all have our reasons to pack or not to pack. America, what a country. Having children on board would certainly make me leave them at home. When ever it's been Mom, the dog and me, I always take a Shot-Gun and my trusty Glock.

Being in law enforcement all my life has prejudiced my decision. I too have NRA stickers on the window as a deterrent. I respect those that choose not to carry a firearm, it's made interesting conversations on the road.

There are several places you can "hide" a couple of guns on the coach with minimal alterations.

FatDog thats a good looking dog you got there. Had one for 13 years.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #316

As an active LEO I'm surprised at the number of victims who think the police are there to protect them, not that we don't try. The reality is, you have to take responsibility for your own safety. If that means packing, or simply trying to avoid becoming a victim, then it's up to you.

When I became an LEO my wife got her CCW so she could be my backup off-duty. When she took some advanced tactical training she realized she could never point a weapon at a person and pull the trigger. In her case, carrying would have been foolish as her weapon would have been taken away and used against her in an armed confrontation.

I would urge anyone who carries in their RV that they get a CCW and throughly familiarize themselves with the laws involving deadly force in every state they plan to travel. Also, no matter how justified deadly force might be to the letter of the law, there almost always is a criminal (homicide) investigation that might lead to charges and the typical civil suit that could bankrupt you just in the lawyer fees to defend yourself.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #317

Newmar Owners Club
I carry a 12 ga. short barrell pump and would hope that just the noise of the action being employed to inject the 00 buckshell would deter any would be bad guys. That said in the event they are not detered I would not want to be in their shoes when the boom occurs.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:57 AM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Whippets View Post
... When I became an LEO my wife got her CCW so she could be my backup off-duty. When she took some advanced tactical training she realized she could never point a weapon at a person and pull the trigger. In her case, carrying would have been foolish as her weapon would have been taken away and used against her in an armed confrontation.

I would urge anyone who carries in their RV that they get a CCW and throughly familiarize themselves with the laws involving deadly force in every state they plan to travel. Also, no matter how justified deadly force might be to the letter of the law, there almost always is a criminal (homicide) investigation that might lead to charges and the typical civil suit that could bankrupt you just in the lawyer fees to defend yourself.
Great points here for those of us who do carry. A few weeks back I took a CCW course (my DW and oldest son are doing so this weekend) to make sure that I really understood the laws/responsibilities of gun ownership as well as to have my CCW. One of the instuctors is from a law firm that among other areas of law also specialize in gun law. It was very interesting, to say the least, as we went through the various laws to have this lawyer give actual case examples of situations pertaining to each statute. There a some pretty easy and simple acts that could end up with a felony conviction because of misunderstanding of the law. Some of the things you may think you, as a gun owner, can legally do you really can't. Remember that ignorance (of the law) is no excuse under the law. So as Wicked Whippets advised, know the gun laws of the states you will be visiting.

A couple other great points Wicked Whippets has pointed out in his post were points taught by our insturctor/lawyer. Yes the "...judged by 12 rather than carried by 6" statement came up and there is great validity in it. BUT it was very clear after the class that there are tremendous consequences that you will face (eg.darn well better make sure you don't injure ANYONE else or you will be prosecuted since there is no excuse for injuries to a "bystander" even accidentally done in self defense) and you will most likely be sued civilly by the perpetrators family where the level of "proof" in civil court are not as high and therefore easier to loose a case. The another great point was that unless you practise for the situation you will most likely not be able to resond as you think you would. Therefore doing some advanced tacticle training was HIGHLY encouraged. As in the previous post referenced you may find that you aren't the right person to be carrying either. JMHO
Old 04-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #319

check out this publication: Traveler"s Guide to the Firearm Laws of the fifty States.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #320

I carry my pistol grip pimp 2 gauge Mossburg 500 in a hidden in a case in the closet. I have the shells in it so that number 8 shot are the first 3 shells fired and followed by 3 double buck shot. I think this solves the problem of going through the side wall of the coach and still provides protection and the ability to do away with the bad guy. We never have any kids in the coach and if we ever did, I would make arrangements to secure. I also carry 380 auto semi automatic that is carried in my truck when tooling around in strange areas. I have a concealed carry permit and do not travel with my firearms outside of the country. Responsible gun ownership and prodeures are not hard to do na just make coon sense. I do not expect to ever ever have a need to use my weapons, but am prepared to do so to save our lives and protect our property. I assume that anybody coming into our coach is there to do us harm as well as steal our property. Most thieves are cowards and the smart ones try to rob people not prepared.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #321

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ktmnoel,

The Snopes article below casts some doubt on the crime rate increase "down under"

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp
Old 04-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #322

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davel View Post
ktmnoel,

The Snopes article below casts some doubt on the crime rate increase "down under"

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp
Interesting, but I don't live in Australia. So I carry when traveling.

John
Closed Thread