Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2009, 06:21 AM   #337

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Very interested in your revolver with .410 buckshot as I've considered something in this order. Have you ever patterned the .410 buckshot to see at what distance all the shot will hold in a body-sized target? Without any kind of choke like a shotgun, I've wondered if the shot would scatter as wide as the coach at just a few feet. I have my child's size 20 gauge Mossberg pump loaded with alternative buck and slugs but a small hand gun would be great under the pillow. Have seen derringers in .410 gauge but not any revolvers.

Wagonmaster2
Taurus now makes the 4510 in 3in. chamber. It will shoot 45 long colt, .410 shot or .410 slug. I have the 21/2" chamber and it patterns at 8 inches at 10ft. with both #6 shot and #000 buck. At 15ft. it is an 18in. pattern with the 6in. barrel.
In the close quarters of a bedroom or motorhome it would afford plenty of firepower without penetrating through the walls. For close quarters self defense I think it would be hard to find a better weapon. Just my opinion.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #338

You can count me As Always.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:48 PM   #339

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's experiences with the weapons they have chosen and have used. There are so many good choices that is seems to clearly reinforces that when choosing a weapon to use for concealed carry or for home defense you really need to go to a shooting range where you can rent the type of gun you are thinking of buying and try it out. What feels good in one person's hand doesn't to another. One person may be able to handle one caliber of gun and not another (the kick from firing the weapon and being able to bring it back on target quickly, under control for a followup shot). I know that has been true for me as well as for my wife. The weapon that I like and use, a Sig Sauer 239 elite, really doesn't fit my wife's hand very comfortably. She can control and shoot accurately with it, but it just doesn't feel comfortable in her hand. She does better with a S&W model.

We all have different valid reasons for choosing the type of firearm and the caliber, so what I believe it really comes down to is does it feel right in your hand and can you reliably and accurately fire it and keep it under control.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #340

I always carry mine. I have shot before and never heard a word for it. The grand jury tossed it out. It was in Texas so we are a little more proud to protect our selves. I don't care if I am getting robbed I stay ready to protect myself. I hope the cops don't get there until they need a coroner to cart the thief off. I was taught if your going to steel... steel something worth dying for. It could be the outcome. I will advise a shotgun for defense unless you practice rabbit hunting with a pistol. Pulling the trigger is easy. Aiming is not.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #341

Appalachian Campers
Something I'd like to ask those that say "I carry when alone, but never with my kids around."

Aren't kids worth protecting more than yourself? I carry always, but I'm a little more cautious when I have my kids out in the woods where cell phones don't reach. By cautious I mean I carry my pistol in the camper when the kids are with me, and a shotgun when alone. I can control a single bullet far better than a shotgun. Any edge I can have when protecting the kids is worthwhile to me, I'd carry an RPG if I could get my hands on one.

Tactics are number one in a home defense situation, and it can happen anytime, anywhere. Remember the old Boy Scout marching song, be prepared, be prepared.

Teach the kids, get them involved in shooting, take the forbidden mystery out of it. If you remove curiousity then you greatly reduce risk.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #342

I recently heard of this and have started doing it myself. I load my Mossburg 500 pistol grip so the first 2 shorts fired are # 7 birdshot and the remaing 4 are 00 buckshot. The bird shot will not penetrate the skin of an RV, but the buckshot will. It is amazing what hs happened to the price and avilability of ammo now.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #343

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I recently heard of this and have started doing it myself. I load my Mossburg 500 pistol grip so the first 2 shorts fired are # 7 birdshot and the remaing 4 are 00 buckshot. The bird shot will not penetrate the skin of an RV, but the buckshot will. It is amazing what hs happened to the price and avilability of ammo now.
I don't know Linsay, I think that would depend upon how close you are--I certaintily wouldn't want to find that out though.
I think 00 would be all my rounds if I carried a shotgun (357 mag is what I carry)

John
Old 05-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #344

From what I'm hearing and reading, if Obama gets his way we won't have to worry about which handgun (and maybe any kind of firearm) we want to choose to use as none will be available. In our part of the country the gun dealers are doing a landslide business in firearms and amunition and the professional firearms target ranges are backed up for weeks with appointments for training.
Don't know if all this is unnecessary panic or something real coming down the road toward us. So better not dally too long making your decision.

Wagonmaster2
Old 05-07-2009, 03:34 AM   #345

I gave it a lot of thought and feel like the scare off factor of the bird shot would be a big factor also. I do not want to kill anybody and the bird shot would not do that unless fired at point blank range. Two side to the theory thought I realize.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #346

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Colorado View Post
"hollow points" are not desirable. They seldom work as advertised, and if they do expand they tend to inhibit penetration to vital organs.
Ron, I was agreeing with you up until the above comment. A good hollow point will work much better than a FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) if you are looking to "stop an attack." I have personally ran several test with different hand guns (.38, 9MM, 357 Mag, .45 ACP) and I have found that 230gr. Federal Hydra Shoks in a .45 works great. The .357 was also impressive with 125 gr. Hydro Shoks. The Hydro Shok bullet is a hollow point bullet with a "post" in the middle of the "hollow point."

I used old phone books that soaked in the bath tub for 3 days, stacked them in a crate and fired into them at a range of 6 yds. I compared penetration and cavity damage with all loads. I used several popular loads (in different bullet weights)to try and compare which bullet worked best in my fire arms. As far as doing internal damage that would "stop" the bad guy, any of the hollow points used were far superior to the FMJ (Hard Ball) ammo (which just pokes a hole thru the subject).

Also, something else to remember, according to the info I read in the 90's the Hydro Shoks (in .45 ACP) had the best "one shot stop" something like a 98% rating in actual real street shootings.

Accordingly, all of my carry guns are loaded with the Hydro Shok rounds.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #347

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert h View Post
If my estimates are correct in these posts; more than %80 carry; crooks know this, could be thats why you don;t here of campers being robbed much. those that don't carry can thank those that do carry.
I am pretty sure the results were more 50/50 than 80/20...As far as thanks ,You can rest assured This non carryer will not be thanking you .Do you really think that is why there isn't much campground crime ? I had an interesting discussion with a gentleman who vociferously defended his right to carry by saying he was responsible enough to use the utmost discretion in its use ..I bet him I could make him mad enough to pull out his pistol in 5 minutes ... All it took was a few well placed comments about his intelligence and his lack of experience and viola! And just think what a few "shots " of alcohol would do to that situation ..I believe as strongly as you do in the other alternative that not carrying a weapon is a whole lot safer than carrying one . And I concede that right to you without inference or implication as to your personal code or your morality..I tried to stay away from this discussion but to be told I should thank someone like that was too much arrogance for me .
Old 05-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #348

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusSC400 View Post
I had an interesting discussion with a gentleman who vociferously defended his right to carry by saying he was responsible enough to use the utmost discretion in its use ..I bet him I could make him mad enough to pull out his pistol in 5 minutes ... All it took was a few well placed comments about his intelligence and his lack of experience and viola! .

Really? He pulled out his pistol? That is a little too much to swallow!
Old 05-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #349

I have to say if he pulled a gun he obviously should not have one. I would guess if true he represents less than 1/2 of one percent who carry a weapon in RV's. I agree with the post that says bad guys are a little hesitant about messing with campers knowing quite a few carry weapons.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #350

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Especially given that there was a bet on the table. I smell something.
Joe
Closed Thread