Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #351

Bet

In the spirit of this being a family discussion place I left out a few of my well targeted insults to my gun totin friend ... it is really easy to incite someone if you know their hot buttons ....And btw there was no $ involved in the bet it was simply an exercise to prove a point ... you all seemed to miss the point or perhaps proved mine that just because the law says you are allowed to carry a gun doesn't mean you should..I happened to see the 20/20 piece on guns and they showed the video of a robbery taking place and a handgun was fired numerous times and nobody was hit ...Now I know all you gun owners say that you have training and that wouldn't happen with you but who knows? Frankly I am more scared of my neighbor in a CG having an arguement with his spouse and whipping out the pistol and firing blindly (alcohol fueled of course ) into the night ..50 % are packing heat ..that means I have a 1/2 chance of being shot by a fellow rv'er ....wow? Not really what I was hoping for ...but definitely somethin to worry about
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #352

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
lexus,
my posts in this thread over the years have been pretty consistent with yours,
i feel generally safe out there, RV's are thin walled, and RV'rs tip a few beers now and then ... not my idea for a perfect mix for also carying a gun,

but,
your 'bet' and the insults you used to 'win' it, combine to be the single most in poor taste thing i've heard on this forum in many years
we all are recreational folk and happy outdoorsmen at heart while in our RV's, ... i pride myself in the happiness i bring to the campsite
Old 05-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #353

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusSC400 View Post
Frankly I am more scared of my neighbor in a CG having an arguement with his spouse and whipping out the pistol and firing blindly (alcohol fueled of course ) into the night ..50 % are packing heat ..that means I have a 1/2 chance of being shot by a fellow rv'er ....wow? Not really what I was hoping for ...but definitely somethin to worry about
Lexus.....your statements make me wonder where you are camping. "Drinking alcohol and shootin guns". In all my years of rving and camping, I have never experienced what you are talking about.

I understand your position of owning a gun and thats great (for you)...but this thread is for responsible, inteligent conversation!

By the way, I am a gun owner and I carry in the RV. I have never used it nor do I want too!
Old 05-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #354

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow!!!!!! This is really starting to deteriorate. Started out with a survey then progressed on to a discussion of personal defense weapons. Now it has been degraded to lets see if I can provoke someone to pull a gun.
Lets get back to the the discussion part I was enjoying that
Old 05-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #355

Thor Owners Club
Thumbs up Taurus "The Judge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Taurus now makes the 4510 in 3in. chamber. It will shoot 45 long colt, .410 shot or .410 slug. I have the 21/2" chamber and it patterns at 8 inches at 10ft. with both #6 shot and #000 buck. At 15ft. it is an 18in. pattern with the 6in. barrel.
In the close quarters of a bedroom or motorhome it would afford plenty of firepower without penetrating through the walls. For close quarters self defense I think it would be hard to find a better weapon. Just my opinion.
I have this Taurus...nicknamed "The Judge"...mine is "The Night Court Edition".

If you can find it now...buy it!

It is a magnificent handgun...I carry it in Motor Home when we travel. It has five cylinders. I load two with 000 buck..two with #4 shot...and one with #6 shot. This gives me in gun revolving cylinder choices for very assured hit response. Very intimidating to look at...if it is pointed at you...
Old 05-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #356

Intelligent conversation

Ok I agree it has wandered a bit ...lets take another tack ....Of those people who "carry" ..other than the fact that the law allows you ...what specific incident or incidents factored in your decision ...I am not looking for stories about something you heard or something that happened to someone elses friend ...specific incidents that you personally used to make the decision to carry ...please no generalities...(its a crime filled world...there are bad people out there... etc)
Old 05-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #357

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Ok I agree it has wandered a bit ...lets take another tack ....Of those people who "carry" ..other than the fact that the law allows you ...what specific incident or incidents factored in your decision ...I am not looking for stories about something you heard or something that happened to someone elses friend ...specific incidents that you personally used to make the decision to carry ...please no generalities...(its a crime filled world...there are bad people out there... etc)
Primary factor: Two times while traveling in motor home on I-40 and I-10 in South West. We overnighted at large brand named truck stops...both times we were awakened in middle of the night by either Pedro or Pepe with Maria knocking on door...said they wanted money for gas....or?. We did not open door...but spoke through a cracked window..no quick 911 law enforcement response in that area..

Now, if there's a knock on the motor home door in the middle of the night..Taurus "The Judge" meets the door knocking with me.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #358

Winnebago Owners Club
Pubtym, how would you compare the Mossberg 410 home defense shotgun with the Taurus? Of course I understand one is a hand gun (a hefty one) and one is a shotgun (a small one) but what are the advantages of one over the other for home defense?

I'm a newbie, so can you also explain your logic of why you load the cylinders in that sequence?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #359

Thor Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Pubtym, how would you compare the Mossberg 410 home defense shotgun with the Taurus? Of course I understand one is a hand gun (a hefty one) and one is a shotgun (a small one) but what are the advantages of one over the other for home defense?

I'm a newbie, so can you also explain your logic of why you load the cylinders in that sequence?
Rich,

In general I find a medium sized hand gun (not a Dirty Harry 44 mag with 9 inch barrel)..is easier for me to carry and handle quickly..rather than a smaller shotgun..I also have a South Dakota Permit to Carry a Concealed Weapon.

I believe a revolver handgun is more intimidating,,,especially one with a fat (large caliber) barrel...that you might be able to see the large diameter rounds in the cylinder.

As far as loading cylinders with varied rounds...I'd easily select the round to be fired by the nature of the threat and my desired torso hit response...if threat is serious, armed..close range (10-15 feet)..and I see need for lethal force..I'll select 000 buck. Very high probability I'll hit it with first shot.

If threat is close range (10-15 feet) unarmed, medium threat, serious..I'll use #6 shot first..maybe a number 4 shot followup to torso...all intended to be non lethal force...but disarming-discouraging to the immediate threat...Again, very high probability I'll hit it with first shot.

When I purchased the Taurus "Judge", I went to the indoor range to fire it..I shot the 000 buck, # 4 and #6 shot rounds at a torso silloette ranged at both 10 and 15 feet. Holy Mackrel! Bad news as torso lethal...yet bad news as torso non lethal..perfect for me and my handgun needs in motor home and home defense.

Bottomline: Have a flexible good plan for your weapon response..I have that plan.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #360

Monaco Owners Club
I served with the U.S. Army for 24 years. Being very familiar with weapons and having a concealed carry license, I carry a weapon and am comfortable and expert with it.

I don't fall into one poster's category of drinking beer and carrying a weapon. I have served in countries where individuals fire weapons into the air in celebration and fire for numerous other reasons. I didn't feel particularly safe and was glad my family was not with me. I truthfully hope that my homeland, the U.S.A., never reaches this point.

When you have a lethal weapon, whether it is a knife, handgun or long gun, you have an awesome responsibility which cannot be taken lightly. It is not unlike the responsibilities of driving a car or a motorhome, both of which can be lethal weapons as well and more often are lethal weapons.

While I would detest shooting another human outside a combat situation, protection of my family and myself comes with a known responsibility, and I do feel it is my responsibility to protect my family.

In the south Texas area after Hurricane Ike, while I was in my motorhome, several foreign males tried to break into my coach. I say foreign, and according to Obama, I am being an arrogant American. Who knows, they could have been American citizens who couldn't speak English.

My bottom line is that if someone unknown is outside my house or motorhome after 8:30pm, they better be carrying a pizza box.

Bud
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #361

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Because a lot of good people died to give me the right, which I choose to exercise, just as you exercise life, liberty, free speech. That's the single most important one.

From a personal standpoint, I grew up on the south side of Atlanta, and a white kid with a smart mouth no less. I've stared down the barrel of a gun before, been shot at before, then spent time involved with a police dept. I've seen the bad side of society. Once in my adult life I've drawn my weapon, in a small town no less.

Considering that, I made a decision that I'd rather have it and not need it vs. the other option.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #362

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pubtym; "holy mackrel" I think thats the same thing I said the first time I fired my .410 revolver. I own a Rossi which predates the Taurus and is no longer in production. Going to purchase the Taurus with the cylinder for 3".
I originally purchased it for my DW in 1970 when I worked nights and she was home with three children in rural Arizona.
Now for the exciting part: I have only used it for lethal purposes on two ocasions. Once when a fox with bad intentions invaded the henhouse and had to be eliminated and an old GE refrigerator that had been rampaging the countryside that I had to dispatch with five rounds of #00 buckshot. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Rich -in-Tampa; My preference is the revolver because of the smaller size And larger shot pattern at close range, just right for the confines of an rv or bedroom and easier to store. The shorter barrel also means less penetrating power due to lower muzzle velocity than the long barrel making it less likley to penetrate through walls. Your .410 will do just fine.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #363

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
In the spirit of this being a family discussion place I left out a few of my well targeted insults to my gun totin friend ... it is really easy to incite someone if you know their hot buttons ....And btw there was no $ involved in the bet it was simply an exercise to prove a point ... you all seemed to miss the point or perhaps proved mine that just because the law says you are allowed to carry a gun doesn't mean you should..I happened to see the 20/20 piece on guns and they showed the video of a robbery taking place and a handgun was fired numerous times and nobody was hit ...Now I know all you gun owners say that you have training and that wouldn't happen with you but who knows? Frankly I am more scared of my neighbor in a CG having an arguement with his spouse and whipping out the pistol and firing blindly (alcohol fueled of course ) into the night ..50 % are packing heat ..that means I have a 1/2 chance of being shot by a fellow rv'er ....wow? Not really what I was hoping for ...but definitely somethin to worry about
Lex,

I don't know if we have ever met while RVing, but if we had, I can promise you I was armed, and you didn't even know it.

As far as your request about hearing stories about why one would/should carry, I have 3 situations in which I was glad I was armed. One where an escape con from a road gang tried to get into my car, that ended when he came face to face with my S&W 645 and the VA State Police picked up that guy. The 2nd took place in my "stick home", a male with "28 priors" came into my house at 11:20 PM with a big liquor bottle wrapped in a towel holding it like a club. I pulled a .45 on him and held him until police could get there. The 3rd and last time was at a camp ground near Williamsburg, someone tried to break into my coach's bay to steal my TV (Police theory) That punk got away before I could get woke up and outside, (happen around 2:30 AM) the coaches alarm system frightened him off, it took police over 45 minutes to respond.

In two of these situations the fact that I was armed kept my family and property safe. No I've never pulled the trigger, but then the "Bad Guy" didn't force the issue (funny how a .45 instills manners into people...haven't been "sir" so much since I got out of service ) however, had they forced the issue, I was and am prepared to pull the trigger.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #364

September 2008.

Peace River Campground, FL.

At about 1 am my doggie got a little upset over some noises coming from the drivers side little window. I woke and walked slowly towards the window where I could see movement from behind the curtin.

All I did was rack one in the chamber. All I saw was ass and leggs running away from the coach. Two other campers were broken into that night. Mostly storage area stuff was stolen.

Funny how the sound of a round being chambered makes some folks fast runners.
Closed Thread