Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #491

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I couldn't agree more. I usually come across in these discussions as being "anti gun" and that's not the case at all. My problem is with those rare individuals who become bullies with a gun in hand and use it offensively to press their point. In one thread someone actually made the statement that they had pulled their weapon many times to keep situations from escalating. IMHO, once a gun is pulled the situation escalates automatically and often uncontrollably.

In the case of this road rage incident, it's great support for those who contend that one shouldn't pull their gun unless they are ready to fire it... and shouldn't fire it without an intention to kill their target. The guy who got out of his truck with a gun in his hand was probably doing it to scare the kid... but he got a real surprise.

Rick
Unfrotunatly there are those who think that if they have a weapon they are then in authority and go into vigilante mode. All the weapons training in the world will not change the attitude of the bearer. I wish there was some way to test for responsability and attitude, before purchase of a firearm, but sadly there are ocasions when this is the result when someone feels the need to retaliate. "you can't fix stupid"
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #492

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Unfrotunatly there are those who think that if they have a weapon they are then in authority and go into vigilante mode. All the weapons training in the world will not change the attitude of the bearer. I wish there was some way to test for responsability and attitude, before purchase of a firearm, but sadly there are ocasions when this is the result when someone feels the need to retaliate. "you can't fix stupid"
The world is full of nuts; problem is you never no when you might meet one.
Once when I stopped at a red light the car in back of me tooted his horn for me to go throught the red light. when he saw I wasn't going to; he jumped out of his car came up to my car and began kicking it in; and was reaching in through the window trying to grab me. had I had a gun this man would have been a dead man. lucky I got the window up before he could get a hold of me. I had several witnesses and they said this was a very angry man and someday he will get his rewards.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #493
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
. had I had a gun this man would have been a dead man. lucky I got the window up before he could get a hold of me.
Don't blame you a bit but rolling up the window seems like it provided the best outcome for everyone.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #494

yes

always have always will many decades ago a crazy paramilitary type wacko held a McDonald hostage i watched on tv and though if just one person would have had a handgun on them and knew how to properly use it it could have been much different ending.
i carry one in my rig no matter what it is and will never start any thing but if i have to defend my family or self as a last resort i will.
better to have and not need it as to need it and not have it.
in all the years I've owned firearms not one of them has hurt any body, they just set there quietly
Old 04-14-2011, 04:35 AM   #495

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post

The world is full of nuts; problem is you never no when you might meet one.

Once when I stopped at a red light, the car in back of me tooted his horn for me to go through the red light. When he saw I wasn't going to; he jumped out of his car, came up to my car and began kicking it in; and was reaching in through the window trying to grab me. Had I had a gun this man would have been a dead man. Lucky that I got the window up before he could get a hold of me. I had several witnesses and they said this was a very angry man and someday he will get his rewards.
In this situation, if it had happen to me, I would not have needed any gun to take care of this situation. His hand and arm would have been caught and stuck inside the car and I would have then driven through the red light as fast as I could drive safely and head straight for the nearest police station with him attached to the car. If he couldn't keep up, then at the least I would still have his hand for fingerprints to track down the "one armed bandit".

I own weapons and have gone through numerous gun safety classes, have shot small bore competition, have used them for hunting and have had hours of range practice. The most important fact I have learned throughout my ownership and use of weapons is that you treat EVERY weapon as if it was LOADED until you open it and check the chamber. Guns don't kill people, people KILL people. Any loaded or unloaded gun in a case will NOT kill anyone. it's the STUPIDITY of people handling the gun that accidentally kill people. Never point a gun at anything unless you are willing and able to shoot to KILL.

All of the different guns laws in every state throughout the union only help the criminals that have always been able to acquire all the guns they ever wanted or needed to conduct their criminal deeds. It's the innocent law abiding citizen's of this country that are at the mercy of the lousy gun laws with their stupid ideas on how to control guns.

Any current or future gun control law will NEVER work as long as the criminals have such easy access to them versus the law abiding citizens. Gun control laws only effect us not the criminals.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #496

Well I hate to say yes or no, but if it is the middle of the night and you need to come in, you had better knock first.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #497

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJ423 View Post
Sounds like the 21yo might have went beyond self defense and into murder if he emptied the mag. The threat is usually over well before the weapon is empty as long as you are hitting the intended target.
Not always true...depends on caliber of the weapon he was using and the type of ammo...FMJ would just punch a hole through the attacker and may need multiple hits, while hollow points would expand and may only need 1 or 2 hits to stop the threat... That's why I carry a .45 loaded with 230 gr. Hydro-Shoks...That way when you "thump'em" they know it.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #498

Monaco Owners Club
All this talk about killing - all the euphemisms -WOW! Scary. I know that most people who talk about weapons do so in a well-meant way, and don't believe they will ever kill anyone. But talk is dangerous. Shooting a person, regardless of the circumstances, is VERY serious business. Just like a martial artist who might be a black belt, all martial artists learn, sooner or later, that the best way to avoid trouble is to think ahead and that's how people need to be about guns - like martial arts of other sorts, like a sword, they are something to be used only as a LAST resort. To me, it's pretty scary to have people out there with guns who would try to use one in a Hollywood way, ie, take control of the situation with the idea that it will de-escalate. It probably won't. People who are intent on targeting others for theft or rape or the like are not necessarily rational, and if you draw, you will very likely have to shoot. I once knew a guy who spotted a person stealing gas from his pickup. He put his knife to the back of the perp's neck and told him to freeze. About that time, a fellow perp with a gun appeared around the front of another vehicle, and the two perps then calmly discussed whether they should kill my friend. They did not, but he was lucky. He had not thought ahead. Had he placed a pistol to the back of the first perp's head, he might not be here now. All I am saying, really, is that no weapon does much good if you don't think ahead to keep away from trouble.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #499

Another home owner killed an intruder in his home this week; police say no charges. fear for your life? If the thiefs new that every homeowner was armed, I"ll bet the home invasions would go to 0.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #500

The big problem I see with a shotgun for defense in our mh or other camper is safe storage when on the road, but awY from the coach. With a handgun I'll either carry it with me or easily lock in a small safe. You need a pretty good size gun safe for a shotgun. I'll bet most with shot guns don't keep it in a safe in there rv's.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #501

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
No need to worry about a place to store it, same as a handgun but works as a shotgun. 410 pistol. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=1&FORM=IDFRIR
Old 04-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #502

Yep I know about the Judge. Not legal in CA, won't work for us so well
Old 04-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #503

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Yes and always will. I don't plan on using it, but I would rather have it if I have to defend myself and family.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #504

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen-peg View Post
Well I hate to say yes or no, but if it is the middle of the night and you need to come in, you had better knock first.
+1

And if you STILL insist on coming in after multiple warnings, expect a semi-jacketed hollow-point round from a Smith & Wesson M&P to enter your body REAL soon.
Closed Thread