Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #379

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
You sir are a bad, bad person showing me that.
Glad I could help. Imagine my daughter not wanting me to buy the grandson his first BB gun.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #380

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To have and not need is acceptable...
To need and NOT have, leaves one at the mercy of the folks that intend harm.
I carry, always have, and so long as more vets help keep us free I always will !

The closing of a .45 ACP slide or shotgun slide can bring the runny drizzles to the baggy shorts of "ne'er-do-wells", what few places that DO NOT ALLOW firearms are typically crossed off the trip planning itenary. When I stay at a Military Facility, which I very often do, the majority have a system to check your firearm at the facility armory, those that do not, I find a safe/secure storage location until my stay is complete.

It is definately a matter of personal choice. There are those who have no ability to take the life of another human, there are those of us who do and have, mostly to protect the freedom to have the choice at all... if you could not bring yourself to dispatch another then DO NOT EVER CARRY A WEAPON. Be honest about it and to thine ownself be true.

If you love your freedom, Thank a Veteran !
Old 03-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #381

Monaco Owners Club
Any weapons I carry will come as a sudden surprise to anyone in my space with unsavory intentions that I think will result in harm to me or my loved ones. But if I were going to reveal what I might carry to friends, it would either be a 12 gauge, a Marlin 45-70, or a .45 Colt, which could be an LC or a .45 ACP. I don't believe in displaying weapons or giving any wrongdoer warning when I might have or use them, and I sure would not use one unless a felony involving personal safety was in progress.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #382

i'm working on installing a lockbox for the defense weapon; since i can only envision needing it when we'd be sleeping, i plan on putting it towards the rear of the coach. however, "ne'er do wells", as you put it, don't follow a strict schedule, and having it at the back while we're up front poses another problem. most municipalities require that firearms be locked up and unloaded... a bad combination IMHO.

it is unfortunate that ownership of a motorhome somehow indicates that i have a lot of money... which is sadly not the case. i just have a motorhome. scofflaws who target me are going to be disappointed when i have no money to give them. disappointed enough, probably, to do great harm. so..... discouragement of this is strongly in order.

my Dad boondocked out of an ambulance for a time in DC... he put NRA stickers on the back windows. he said he was parked at his job one night, chilling and reading in the van, when a police cruiser stopped and two officers got out, shined a light at the back of the van, and remarked about the NRA stickers, then got back in their cruiser and left. never even spoke to him. Dad said having those stickers was like having a Quad .50 on top of the van..... real dissuaders.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #383

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
..........I would never want to hurt anyone, unless the situation happens, and yes I do have a permit to carry a weapon and our motorHOME is our residence away from home. JMHO, travel safe.
David ZG.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #384

George had large bowl outside along with chain laid out. Inside, the dog was on couch. Burglar attacks camper, dog wildly barking, and when door is busted open, gives the dog a large bloody raw steak. Dog eats steak, burglar robs camper's goodies and walks away after closing up the door. Dog finishes off steak and waits for owner to come home. End of true story. Oh it was like a boon-docking camp site area. The few other near campers were mostly away for afternoon too.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:35 AM   #385

Always Armed

We always carry a side arm and a rifle in our motorhome. The rifle (which I don't believe any state would argue is legal) is always accessable. The pistol would require a hard search, though I can retrive it in seconds. The fact is, I've only felt the need to have it out once in 20 years.
Regarding the various state laws: I would rather argue my right to self defense after the fact than argue my right to bear arms. So keep it concealed, and always ready.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #386

Always armed, Wake up every day expecting to use it.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #387

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have a need. I do carry pepper spray.

My grandfather was a city cop. Always thought it was silly for civilians to carry or as he put it " hide behind a gun"
My dad was a pilot and an MP in WWII.. he never felt it was necessary for people to go around armed.
I have heard stories from both of them dealing with some very violent people.

I am a black belt in kempo. I grew up next to a city, went to high school in the city. My work as an electrician put me in some of the worst neighborhoods in several different cities. I have worked in drug infested areas all the way to prisons. The factories with the acid baths were worse to work in than the any of the neighborhoods in any of the cities. I use to go to biker bars with some of my old friends. I have never once felt that I was in a situation that I would have to resort to deadly force to defend myself. Very few have ever even bothered me.

In 30 years of travel with both motels and camping I have never felt afraid for my life or even close. I think you would have more trouble from the cookie monster on sesame street than with people in campgrounds lol There have been shady characters in some of the truck stops but nobody has ever bothered me.

IMO--- I blame alot of fear in the general populace on the news and their tendency to propagate hysteria. I fear aggressive drivers in traffic more than I do people.

Then I have several dogs with me at all times and I wouldn't want to be an intruder. One time a guy tried to come over the fence at my shore place and one of the dogs came through that back screen door like a bullet. He was a lucky man as he was only on the top of the fence and was able to leave fast.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #388

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS
My usual "road carry" is a S&W Mod.59, spent the $$ a few years ago and got the Indiana Lifetime Personal Protection Permit.
Our usual route is through Ky., Tenn., to Ga., ALL three states honor the Indiana permit and if stopped at a roadblock (paper check) I hand the officer the permit along with the Drivers License, have never gotten any grief from an officer about it, quite the opposite.
Usualy do not carry "openly exposed" into a truck stop or station (makes people nervous sometimes) .
The 59 is a bit bulky though and I've been looking at down sizing a bit for carry convenience, but to date have never had any trouble about it from any law enforcement officer (except one rookie).
Check the state laws on your travel route (and stay away from ILL. , not carry friendly there) .
Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #389

Yes, S&W .380
Old 03-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #390

Yes we do. Those that have issues with others right to protect themselves should, IMHO, place a sign prominately on their RV that they do not have a firearm on their person or property, thereby relieving the rest of us from assault by armed and or dangerous criminals intent on doing us harm.
Kind of using the old adage "put your money where your mouth is".
Just saying of course.

Best...Madisons
Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #391

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Yes...Kel-tec 380 auto. Some folks say it's too small...but, if needed, it will be needed up close and personal, and it's plenty big enough for that.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #392

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
Never even considered it.
Closed Thread