Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2004, 04:00 PM   #1

I have seen this on a website and now im really confused.. What do they define as a firearm. I know that a pistol you cant carry it from state to state but what about rifles and shotguns.. Dont get me wrong, I never EVER brought my firearm with me but how many of you have and was it a pistol or rifle??

Do you carry a firearm in your RV?

With 2334 responses thus far, here's how the voting is going:

Always 39.55% (923)

Often 13.45% (314)

Rarely 7.41% (173)

Never 39.59% (924)

John
01 2500 Dodge Ram quadcab 4x4
03 Springdale 29'

04.5 2500 Dodge Ram quadcab 4x4 Turbo Diesel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2004, 05:29 PM   #2

You CAN carry a pistol from state to state. There are only a few states that prohibit it. The easiest way is to get a concealed weapon permint from your home state (if it allows it) then a lot of states will reconize it. The big problem is what is an RV? Is it a home or a vehicle? The laws are different. So, a carry permit is the best option.
Even without a permit, there are a lot of states that will let you carry it in a way the driver can't get to it easily.

Tony
(fka TonyT)
29' Four Winds 29QB/Pac-n-Play, '01 GMC Savana 3500 Extended Hi-Top Conversion, 8.1L

(fka TonyT)
Old 03-07-2004, 05:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Count us in the Never category.

Gary Brinck
2002 Dolphin LX - W22 chassis
2003 Chevy Tracker ZR2 4WD
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Old 03-07-2004, 07:56 PM   #4

Firearm topics of the past covered the 'if we should, should not, will or will not' have possession of various types of arms.

I have a concealed weapon permit from Washington State and like 'BeenThere DoneThat' indicated, it is reciprocal with most of the neighboring states and some of the others beyond. Even those states that may not allow the weapon, it stays in the RV, out of sight, would never be used unless necessary and I haven't the slightest worry about breaking a law because of having one close by. One thing for sure is you CANNOT legally take a pistol into or through Canada. For more information, I suggest you checkout the NRA Website.

Rich

iRV2.com Member #216
98 Nash 23-5R (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 97 GMC 1-ton dually
Bremerton Elk's #1181 Travel n' Fun club
Amateur Radio: Rich- KH2JA ex-KA2RD and Zara- KA7QLV
Rich & Zara both U.S. Navy Retired
Vietnam Veterans Association

[This message was edited by Rich & Zara on Mon March 08 2004 at 03:24 PM.]
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Old 03-07-2004, 08:52 PM   #5

I do not own a firearm at the moment and probably never will again,but who knows.

There are things that put security on my list of things to incorperate just to be on the safe side and a gun is not one of them.

There are plenty of weapons one can use in their immediate surroundings if one had to and I do not think a gun should be one of them.

Not saying those who carry guns are wrong to do so , it's just that I do not like the way they are frowned upon when they are used and I would not like to shoot anyone unless they were armed and going to attack me. What justifies deadly force being used from state to state would be a concern if I ever had to use it.

Protecting personel,family, home and property is something that is sometimes required,but most RVers I bet are not people that have many fears of assault or personal harm when traveling ,even full-time.

It's a personal choice I would think.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:17 AM   #6

Count us in the ALWAYS category.

2002 Silverado Extended Cab, Duramax Diesel, Allison Trans.
2001 Cedar Creek 30RKFS
Old 03-08-2004, 06:22 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
You can count us in the ALWAYS category. Except when you travel to Mexico or Canada. It is better to be Judged by 12 then carried by 6.

Dave

[This message was edited by Dave Fernandez on Mon March 08 2004 at 11:34 AM.]
Old 03-08-2004, 09:22 AM   #8

This is a great question and can be fairly debated by both Pro and Con sides. I spent 24 years in the USMC, served in VietNam, Desert Storm and many other smaller conflicts. I served to protect and defend the constitution which gives freedom of speach to our citizens and the right to keep and bear arms. I respect both sides opinion which was why I served. I, myself and my wife, own weapons. We carry them on our RV. I have never taken them out of the Country because its not my right to do so. Therefore, while I'm in the US we always have them. Sorry for the long winded response but it's important to the back ground before a simple yes.
What come with ownng any weapon is a deep respect for that weapon and the damage it can do. Unless you've seen it first hand you'll never really understand. The great thing about our country is we can openly talk about it and agree or disagree. Semper Fi.

1998 Holiday Rambler
Tom, Kathy and Sydney
Boca Raton, FL

Tom, Kathy and Sydney
Old 03-08-2004, 09:32 AM   #9

You "betcha" , I also carry fish poles, bow & arrows and a baseball bat & glove. I have long guns and short guns, some for personal protection some for shooting sports and some for hunting and some bedcause I like them.
Peaceful

"Fulltimin & Lovin It"
Old 03-08-2004, 01:17 PM   #10

http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/ ....this is a great site for info state to state on carrying..all states are different and just because you have a permit from your home state, don't think you are legal in others. Save yourself grief and double check...you can apply in alot of states for a non resident permit providing you have a permit from your home state.

To answer your question ...always carry and also have a big Bowie

Jim Hutch
03 Prowler Lynx 830y
01 Burb 2500 LT 6Lt 3.73
00 GMC Safari awd
Reese W/D and D/C, Prodigy controller
Old 03-08-2004, 02:21 PM   #11

Always, and with a great deal of respect for the responsibility we have assumed.

Tom & Carol (My Bride)
ToBi Our Chocolate Lab
2002 F350 7.3 PSD
2001 Salem 27RKSS 5er.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:42 PM   #12

Ok.. Im really confused now.. How do you carry a pistol from state to state.. seriously the majority doesnt recipricate and if they do, what must you do, get a permit from state to state.. Im really confused now from that link.

John
01 2500 Dodge Ram quadcab 4x4
03 Springdale 29'

04.5 2500 Dodge Ram quadcab 4x4 Turbo Diesel.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:01 PM   #13
RKW

I never do, but I'm glad the other RV'ers do. Keeps the bad guys wary.

"Official Generator Wrangler"
Old 03-08-2004, 04:34 PM   #14

Yianni, It depends on your home state. At the web site mentioned, use the 'tool' but tell it you have a Florida permit and see the difference.

Tony
(fka TonyT)
29' Four Winds 29QB/Pac-n-Play, '01 GMC Savana 3500 Extended Hi-Top Conversion, 8.1L

(fka TonyT)
Closed Thread