Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBoone View Post
Wow .. lots of replies! I will start shopping for a cover today.

Is there any preferred manufacturer or are they pretty much the same?
We keep our RV parked under a carport. We also purchased tire Covers (Amazon)
Katherine175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #58

Cover your motorhome

Quote:
We recently purchased a class C motorhome and it will be parked outdoors this winter. I'm wondering if I would need to purchase some type of cover for it or if it would be ok just sitting uncovered for the winter months.

I covered my class A this Winter for the first time, I have a fiberglass roof but i think it won't hurt to have a little extra protection. We get lots of snow and cold temps in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada.
Fiddleman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #59

NHBoone, if you decide to cover send me an email at dwc8182@yahoo.com. Thanks.
crabbd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #60

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
We recently purchased a class C motorhome and it will be parked outdoors this winter. I'm wondering if I would need to purchase some type of cover for it or if it would be ok just sitting uncovered for the winter months.
Our goal was to never park our new class C outside when we were not using it. So we are lucky enough to have a 30 by 62 foot insulated building we park it in. I run a dehumidifier when the temps get back up above 50 ouside. I plan on having this motorhome for a while. I hate seeing motorhomes going down the road or setting in their driveways all faded out. The nicer you keep it the more you'll get for it later. Plus you will look good going down the road.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #61

What is this "The Solution" you mentioned and where did you purchase it?

Thanks, Maurice
missourimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:41 PM   #62

Commercial Member

Parked our '08 outside. 4 years uncovered and 4 years covered but in the end, The South facing side needed to be repainted and vinyl replaced.
Ended up getting a carport (you see these in a lot of small car lots and converted gas stations. Out '16 looks brand new. Still shines like new.
Do cover your tires. HERE is why.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:53 PM   #63

We bought our redhawk in march bought a cover for it. Kept everything tight but i guess the west texas wind was too much, i got paint rubs thru the clear so im in the process of building a cover at home

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	227185
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:34 PM   #64

Water..leaks

Quote:
Yes if you can I would , I have a solid fiberglass Xplorer uncouvered in Vancouver and yes water gets in I hope I’ve got it this time I’m pretty sure it was the felt around the windows and the rear clearance lights as there’s no where else and I think water damage on any of our floating or driving toys is the worst if it gets missed $$$$$
almac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #65

Quote:
I'm in a position where mine HAS to be covered, because the previous owner didn't cover it at all, and for over a decade.

I've got leaks. Multiple leaks. One over the drivers seat, and another over the bed. And those two are just the ones I know about.

In addition to the seals around the TV antenna, the two roof-mounted air conditioners and the three roof-mounted fans I've got over 80 feet of roof-to-wall exterior seals to strip off using a heat gun and a putty knife, and then to replace.

And rainy season is coming.

So I've got a big blue Harbor Freight tarp (40 feet long) covering my 32 foot RV.

I only have weekends to work on it, so each day I've got to pull the tarp up, strip off some length of the seals, then put the tarp back down.
And that means that when the tarp is down I can't use the roof mounted fans or vents, (including the grey and black tank vents).

Be nice to your RV, and protect it. It's an asset - and you will want it to keep it's value.
So either get a cover, or an RV-sized carport.
And check your seals every 90-120 days. If you see a crack in a seal take care of it!
Old 11-25-2018, 10:10 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
We got our Class C last year and left it uncovered last winter. For this winter we wanted something to keep rain, snow & other crud off the roof. After considering some alternatives we settled on a carport type shelter. We wanted to be able to easily take off if there was a mild spell in the winter. Covers dont seem to be an on&off option. The carport is going up in a few weeks. There were a few hurdles. We have to have the gravel driveway leveled to with a 3" tolerance. Also, the town has some stringent requirements for a building permit: health dept. approval, zoning dept. approval, proof of contractors workmens comp insurance and license, "engineered" plans showing structure is built to required wind/snow load and building dept. approval. Of course, there are fees for the "approvals". In CT, the 12x31x12 carport with vertical roofing (so snow slides off easier) runs about $3900 installed.
rv kayakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:13 AM   #67

Lots of good posts. If you are interested in preserving your rig as long as possible, definitely cover it. A MH is a serious investment and regardless of your situation a good quality cover in the cold states will protect your investment.
Harris
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:18 AM   #68

Quote:
Wow .. lots of replies! I will start shopping for a cover today.

Is there any preferred manufacturer or are they pretty much the same?
I bought an ADCO Tyvek cover for our 27 ft class C. Fit is good and I like the design. It has zippers on passenger side so I can go in and out the entry door with cover on. I have only used it a few months so I don't know how long it will last in Florida sun, but cost was only about $300. If I get 3 years of intermittent use I will be happy. Also, I can leave the overhead hatches and side windows open with cover on to lessen heat build up and it still keeps the rain out.

FYI. I posted a way to put the cover on my RV without climbing on the roof. If you search on "svcattales" you will see it. Greg
svcattales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:21 AM   #69

Didn't read all the replies but I have an RV pole barn with FHU. Concrete floor.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:24 AM   #70

[IMG]motorhome front view[/IMG]
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, motorhome