Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 10:23 PM   #29

bottled water for me..

I carry 18-24 gallons of bottled water for drinking and coffee. I refill the bottles at machines for usually .25 per gallon, although occasionally as cheap as .15. I boondock for long periods and use the tank water for all the other things like washing and showers. I keep my tanks clean and sanitized and could drink out of them. I also don't have an in coach filtration system.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 10:28 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Me: Yes
Wife: No way
Old 05-10-2021, 10:30 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Yes - we've always regularly sanitized the fresh water system and have no issues using the water from it for any reason. I would second twogypsies recommendation on rvwaterfilterstore.com. As we are dry camping and boondocking more we have added their 3-stage Essential system + Metal Trap for filling the fresh water tank and have an additional under-sink filter specifically for the drinking water. In addition to that we always add the recommended amount of Purogene (also from rvwaterfilterstore.com) when filling the fresh water tank.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:28 AM   #32

I would never dream of drinking bottled water, it's an environmental disaster. My wife on the other hand seems to think that 25% of our refrigerator should be devoted to keeping her bottled water cold. It's one of those things you learn to live with but never like.

Much of the bottled water in this country is simply tap water that is filtered, put in plastic bottles that leach chemicals into the water and then wastes diesel fuel trucking it to the store. I don't consider this a good thing. I'm sure others disagree.

I guess I should add, yes I drink the water from the tank.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:36 AM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
not much of a drink water guy, but we use the heck out of the ice
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:58 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS56 View Post
I've been RVing since 2006 and I've never drank from my RV's fresh water tank. I always used filtered water either from Walmart or a filtered water station for about .25/gal. I'm in the SW now and I'm guess I'm drinking 3/4 gal of water a day, plus coffee, soda, beer. Water is too important to my health to risk it.

What do you do?

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/criid/2013/286347/
Why do you think filtered water from Walmart, a major corporation that is profit driven is healthier than your rig water where you have complete control as to the type of filter(s) and how often you change them are?

Look at the RV filter store. A three (3) cartridge South of the Border filter system combined with the Acuva point of use filter is what I like. The South of the Border filter the all the water including what is going into my holding tank and the UV filter is point of use for the kitchen sink and the fridge for extra protection.

There are hidden camera videos of water bottling companies using outdated and dleapted filters and sometimes no filter and still selling the water. The FDA has little control over those companies oddly enough.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:06 AM   #35

We do not and I suppose the main reason is we have well water at home. It is very pure. City water is gross. Like drinking pool water. So we drink and cook with bottled water.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:16 AM   #36

Of course i do... That's what its for
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:36 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Why do you think filtered water from Walmart, a major corporation that is profit driven is healthier than your rig water where you have complete control as to the type of filter(s) and how often you change them are?

Look at the RV filter store. A three (3) cartridge South of the Border filter system combined with the Acuva point of use filter is what I like. The South of the Border filter the all the water including what is going into my holding tank and the UV filter is point of use for the kitchen sink and the fridge for extra protection.

There are hidden camera videos of water bottling companies using outdated and dleapted filters and sometimes no filter and still selling the water. The FDA has little control over those companies oddly enough.
Can you expand on this a little? The FDA oversees all bottling processes.

https://www.fda.gov/food/buy-store-s...inking%20water.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:38 AM   #38

We fill our tank at home with our fresh well water and drink from it all the time. We use CG water to wash dishes and do laundry and are careful not to let that foul tasting stuff stuff into our tank.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:38 AM   #39

All the time. Why not? Just sanitize it regularly and life is good. Other than well water most fill stations have treated water so the odds of contamination are pretty small. In 40 years never an issue for us.

Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 05-11-2021, 06:40 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, we've always drank from our tanks in all three coaches we've owned. Our current coach and our previous one had the filtration system that filters the water as it enters the coach so why not?
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:04 AM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought our first camper in 1968. We have used tank water in all ten campers since. I have installed a filter in all the last four campers to kill the chlorine taste of the water in some campgrounds that have a well and add a lot chlorine to the water.
In 53 years we have never had a problem.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:07 AM   #42

There must be no Texans on this forum.

I thought that all Texans drank water from a horse’s hoof print….as said by Rooster Colburn in True Grit.

Now myself, I drink water straight from a hole in the ground. The same hole in the ground for the last 35 years. Why wouldn’t I drink it after it has been pumped into my RV tank?

I have also drank water from..
- Garden hoses
- Public drinking fountains
- Squirt guns…after taste similar to McDonald’s coffee
- Lyster bags
- Streams
- 20+ year old plastic canteens
- Plumbing systems that have been in use from the 1900s

What I will not drink is water sold in grocery stores….tasteless garbage.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water