Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #71

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Just a word of caution.. Normally if the coach MFG does not install a ladder to access the roof,, It indicates that the roof is not strong enough to support anyone walking on it without using plywood to spread out your body weight.
I agree with saddlesore. I had a little 22' Ridgecrest a few years back. Our first pull trailer after our camper days. It had no ladder, which i found a little confusing, but I was determined to get on the roof to start servicing whatever owners do up there lol. Needless to say I was a little worried once I got up there because it didn't feel very sturdy and although I thought I was stepping on the roof trusses it didn't feel safe. If I had stepped onto the roof where there was just plywood (if that's what it even was) I'm sure I would have gone thru. Was a bit hairy experience once I got up there and realized I probably shouldn't be there! After that, all my 'maintenance' was done off a ladder and only what I could reach safely.
jimmystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use mine several times per year to check out the roof for debris. I also have a ham radio antenna that I mount on the top of the ladder when I want to talk to the world. Even with infrequent use, I would pay extra to add a ladder to a new coach.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktraveler View Post
I was at a dealership the other day and noticed that a lot of new motorhomes didn't have a ladder attached to the back side. When I asked about it, the dealer told me that a lot of manufacturers are no longer including ladders on their new models due to liability concerns.They're worried about people using the ladders to get on the roof and then falling off. I don't know if that is true, but I do see more and more RVs without attached ladders for whatever reason.

My point is this: even though most RV ladders are barely functional (on my last RV I needed a ladder to access the attached ladder), I still think they are an essential piece of equipment. You have to have some way to get on the roof of your coach. Or am I wrong? So I'll ask. Do you ever use the ladder that came with your RV to get on the roof of your coach?
Yep all the time to clean the roof/ do roof maintenance. I have a full length rear ladder on my 98 Beaver.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:48 PM   #74

I have a rear ladder. On it I mount a socket for the Flag and a socket for my wind gauge/thermometer. So every time we camp I am on the ladder, also inspecting the roof at the same time.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #75

I would have to say at a minimum about fifty times a year. I sit up on the roof for most of the the 4 day race weekends at Mid-Ohio.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:42 PM   #76

I use the rear ladder to mount/remove our portable satellite dish everytime we stop or move the RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-039S.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	230164  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #77

Triple E Owners Club
Roof Ladder

Use mine at least twice a year, mainly to clean solar panels. No way I would use a stand alone ladder.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #78

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use it all the time: cleaning, inspecting, maintenance, insuring debris does not affect slide toppers, etc. As far as the liability BS, I think if that were the case, Home Depot would not sell ladders!?
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:47 PM   #79

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use mine to clean and inspect the roof--also to install trailer cover. 12 ft. leaning ladders are not fun !
nicfroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:55 PM   #80

When i bought a 2019 Entegra i was told if there is no ladder then the roof is not strong enough to support the weight of someone walking on it. When i called BS on the guy as there will always be a time when someone is needed on the roof for maintenance, he said "well that's what he was told to say". What a load.
Chris Hayes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #81

Alpine Owners Club
RV Ladder

2005 Alpine Coach 36 FDDS
My Coach Does Not Have a Rear Ladder.
I have a 16 foot extension ladder I bought at Walmart for $70.
It fits across my lower Bay perfectly.
It is much easier to climb than a ladder that is straight up and down.
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:06 PM   #82

Use mine all the time although I could live with a telescoping aluminum one if I had to but would consume storage and be a PIA.
Sharpgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #83

Tiffin Owners Club
My 2019 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH came with a ladder. As many other RV’s we use it to clean, inspect, clean solar panels, etc.. It is a handy item to have on trips and no need to carry other ladders along
Old 12-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #84

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cool RV Ladder

I rarely use the ladder on our 2017 Coachman Pursuit. In fact, I am trying to figure a way to remove and seal the remaining screw holes. One reason for removing is that the ladder is "weak" and with low hanging branches can be bent easily. When you straighten then the thing breaks and then leaks occur if you don't get the base sealed properly.
RG54 is offline   Reply With Quote