Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2022, 12:50 PM   #1

Do you have an easy way to accurately measure the height of your RV??

I know this sounds like a silly question, but do you have an easy way to accurately measure the height of your RV?? I can think of a bunch of ways to do it, but they're all cumbersome and prone to error. I can't help but think there's a simple and easy way to do this accurately that I haven't thought of. I've thought of laying a board on the highest attachment on the roof and trying to level it and then measure to the ground, etc. but that's very error prone. Just a degree off level can be over an inch error. What did you guys do?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2022, 01:03 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I know this sounds like a silly question, but do you have an easy way to accurately measure the height of your RV?? I can think of a bunch of ways to do it, but they're all cumbersome and prone to error. I can't help but think there's a simple and easy way to do this accurately that I haven't thought of. I've thought of laying a board on the highest attachment on the roof and trying to level it and then measure to the ground, etc. but that's very error prone. Just a degree off level can be over an inch error. What did you guys do?
I did what you said. I laid a 10 foot board across my air conditioner which is the highest point on my roof and levelled it with a carpenter's level. I then propped it in position so it would not move, and with a tape measure I measured the height of the board on each side of the coach. Both measurements were within an inch of each other so I took the larger number and adopted that as my coach official height. If you have air suspension, make sure you do this with suspension fully aired up.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:13 PM   #3
US1

The measurement at both ends of the board is most accurate.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If you are close to any low underpasses, be sure to add 4-5 inches (10-12 cm) to your height because you never know if a new layer of pavement has been put down, or you could bounce up at the wrong time.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:27 PM   #5

Cheap.A water tube level and plumb bob off a ladder. The measure the string.
Better more expensive.... laser level.
With in an inch either way is not terrible considering air suspension, road grades ect. anyway.
When setting equipment even what looks/seems like nice level concrete is not, so you set on studs with and jack bolts then grout the feet, or grout entire flat base .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:57 PM   #6

Do the board thing, but don’t worry about the level. On flat, level ground, and if it’s a towed unit hitched to the truck, measure each end of the board to the ground. Flip the board over and measure again. The largest measurement is your safe number as it keeps a warped board from causing your measurement to be too short. Write the number on a sticker and place it where you can see it while driving.

If you have doubts about how flat the ground is repeat in another spot.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:01 PM   #7
US1

I forgot to mention, by using a long board overreaching both sides and measuring down to the ground at both ends, you dont have to be concerned about levelness. In fact, if the ground is unlevel and you level a board, you will get an error if measuring just 1 end of the board.
Old 02-03-2022, 02:16 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The bottom edge of the rafters in my barn are exactly 16' off the pad.
I just measure down from them and do the math.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:19 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwilson1989 View Post
Do the board thing, but don’t worry about the level. On flat, level ground, and if it’s a towed unit hitched to the truck, measure each end of the board to the ground. Flip the board over and measure again. The largest measurement is your safe number as it keeps a warped board from causing your measurement to be too short. Write the number on a sticker and place it where you can see it while driving.

If you have doubts about how flat the ground is repeat in another spot.
I guess I'm not understanding your suggestion. I don't see how this could be accurate without leveling the board.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:24 PM   #10

Doesn't anyone just measure from the ground to the roof top then measure the AC (or highest object on roof) and add the two numbers together?
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:27 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Doesn't anyone just measure from the ground to the roof top then measure the AC (or highest object on roof) and add the two numbers together?
That's what I did. I measured to the roof, then used a long carpenter's level on the top of the satellite dish which is the highest point.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:39 PM   #12

I put 2 2x4'sx8ft almost end to end to get a total of 14 feet. Measured from 10 foot up to 14 every 6 inches with a felt pen. Then I had a buddy hold it level on the ground and I went up on top, my AC is the highest point, and with a laser level sighted off the 14 foot 2x4. Pretty easy really. In my case, you do have to climb up onto the roof though.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:40 PM   #13

Hmm....if the sign says 13' 6" and I measured 13' 4" I aint doin' it!! So tryin to get within a half inch or so on your total height is just exercise imho!
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:44 PM   #14
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I guess I'm not understanding your suggestion. I don't see how this could be accurate without leveling the board.
As long as the measurement at both ends of the board are the same, then that’s the rv height. You could have the rv parked sideways on a hillside and this is just as accurate. Levelness s a non issue using this method.