Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2021, 08:55 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogbelly View Post
I usually have mine nearly full.

You?
Full or near, unless I forget - as we use the tank as our water supply all the time.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 08:58 AM   #44

1/2 traveling to full service campgrounds. Full when we will be multiple days at camps with no facilities or boon docking.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:19 AM   #45

Finally got a big diesel pusher with 100 gallon water capacity and 150 fuel capacity and plenty of torque. And, I cruise at 66 mph. I prefer having safety margins, so I usually start with full tanks.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS56 View Post
Correct answer.

When you get near your final destination fill up if you need to e.g. boondocking.

Why pull all that extra weight? Why put the added weight on the rig?

If you are going to a RV park why bring your own water?
WRONG answer. when i leave my home i'm full. if i need to stop somewhere i have water, if i happen to break down i have water, if i'm boondocking i know i have water and good water. my unit tows much better with the water full.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:27 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You're kidding....RIGHT?

If carrying water in your coach is going to cause it to break down or run out of fuel, maybe you should be looking for a new RV. In my situation, my 43K DP doesn't know if the water is empty or full!
HE HAS TO BE
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #48

Quote:
https://www.investopedia.com/financi...20additional,4.
3. Leave Extras at HomeAn additional 100 pounds in your car can reduce gas mileage by up to 2%. The reduction is relative to the vehicle's weight: Smaller vehicles are more affected by increased weight than larger ones. For every 100 pounds in extra weight, plan on spending up to 6 cents more per gallon.
Quote:
More weight = more fuel & brake wear.

It is science - follow the science.

https://www.truckinginfo.com/347664/...ighter%20truck.

The laws of physics work against truck brakes in other ways too. It's accepted that if truck weight is doubled, stopping power must be doubled. But if speed is doubled, stopping power must be increased four times. If both weight and speed are doubled, stopping power must be increased eight times.

In practical terms, that means a fully loaded truck descending a hill at 60 mph will require eight times the stopping power of a lightly loaded truck traveling at 30 mph. Or, the brakes on the faster heavier truck will be doing eight times as much work as the brakes on the slower lighter truck. In other words, the brakes must absorb or dissipate eight times as much heat.
Yes there are physics and science involved, however more than these 2 simple versions.

I have hauled trailers of similar weight but different styles that make way more difference. My tandem axle car trailer loaded 10k lbs get 2-3 mile better MPG than the cargo trailer I had of similar weight. These things are giant sails which makes more of a difference than weight.

You are right, weight maters, but is also a fact ratio.

Want to save even more, plan your route around weather and mountain passes. If I travel on cold front or windy days I can see a 1-2 mpg reduction. One of the spring time trips I take when the temperature is changing I am always shocked at how much more fuel I use.

I know not all truck have this feature, but it is becoming more common and that is engine or exhaust braking.

I have traveled all over the PNW with lots of large down hill on the back side of passes. Rarely do I even have to touch my brakes.

The really cool thing is that we are all able to do what is best for our situations. In practical application for many of us full or empty makes no noticeable difference in performance either MPG or braking. People who run overloaded would likely see a noticeable difference.

I also do not travel with only enough fuel to go between destinations. I have 275 gallons of fuel. I travel between best fuel prices along my route. If I am under 3/4 and see a good deal I fill up. If I am 1/2 or below I start looking for the best price within my fuel range.

Not only do I travel with a full tank. Because of the type of RVing we do, I am looking at adding an additional 100-150 gallon tank to my tow vehicle.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
With our MH, I use a water meter and fill it up wit 35 gallons which enough for the road. Unless we are going where there is no water or bad water.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #50
Community Moderator

2/3 full. There is no reason to carry more weight than I need. Why don’t I carry a pallet of bricks around to make a patio everywhere I camp ? Same reason.

Maybe the folks are not full timers that say they always fill it up....they don’t have hundreds of pounds of tools, clothes, food, and everything they own already on board.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is 75 gals. I only carry enough to flush toilets and wash hands (around 10 gals.) We're in rv parks mostly.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:16 AM   #52
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We travel with a full water tank.

We were at a campground a few weeks ago in Alabama and the power went out during a thunderstorm. The park water went out also because, as we found out later, the well pump was on the same power line that supplies the whole RV park. We were glad to have plenty of water with us in the tank.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While I don't have the experience that most of you seem to have, so far I've been using the destination as the rule for for filling the 105 gallon freshwater tank.

If we are going to a location that doesn't have water available, then fill up the tank at home before leaving.

If the destination is an RV park with fresh water, then put in 15-20 gallons for hand washing and toilet flushing during the journey.

Just my $0.02. Seems to work for us, and haven't noticed any difference at drive time.
dwirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:31 AM   #54

I have a simple rule i always follow. Never leave a campground (or home) with an empty water tank or full waste tanks.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:42 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
With our MH, I use a water meter and fill it up with 35 gallons which enough for the road. Unless we are going where there is no water or bad water.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #56

Has anybody done a MPG study on full versus empty water tanks ?

Is it even measurable ? The wind may have more of an effect.

Tire pressures will effect MPGs. Should we fill them to the max ? Ohhhh nooo we can't do that !!
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, travel, water