Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you use gloves when handling your sewer hose?
Yes! Always! Ewwwww! 69 52.67%
Nope, never. That's what soap and water is for. 58 44.27%
I tell people I do, but I really don't 4 3.05%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #29

When parked at a campground with FHU, no, don’t use gloves. I can use soap and water immediately after before driving off.

But I do use gloves when pumping diesel. That diesel smell doesn’t come off for hours/days.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2021, 04:55 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Do you use gloves when handling sewer hose?

Nope when done I use the wash faucet in my wet bay with soap. And sanitizer. Simple Don’t touch your face or anything until you do and sanitize the handles you did touch before washing.
Most people I see using gloves are using non disposable and maybe rinse with Water ( not sanitary ) them and toss them in the bay or their hose storage bin or worse yet grab bay door handles etc. with them on! Clearly not sanitary. People don’t understand sanitation. Gloves must be disposed of after each use . Unless you have cuts on your hands just wash them.
Those of you with hose odor issues that are rinsing out your hose.. use end caps on the hose and seal them , no odors , simple.
Old 08-28-2021, 05:49 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep almost always gloves and when I take them off I use hand sanitizer.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #32

My wife is a Nurse.

I always use blue throw away gloves. Wouldn't want to pick of mersa or something bad.
Sam 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #33

An RN for 28 years now retired but I didn't retire basic infection control techniques! Darn right I wear gloves! Also gel in and gel out any time using public bathroom facilities. If any that don't had just spent just a few shifts in the E.D. and were able to see the things I've seen..........
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #34

Nope. I do not have a messy situation when dumping and I also have hand sanitizer built right into my wet bay so when I am done I use that and my paper towel dispenser right there as well. I then wash hands when I get back inside. Gloves are a hassle for me.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:15 PM   #35

Oh yeah. Why not? It’s no trouble, and is cheap insurance. I also wash, and/or use sanitizer when done. I’m a little bit of a germ-a-phobe though.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:29 PM   #36

Jayco Owners Club
For those who wear gloves, I recommend these. It says in the features for these that "KEEP HANDS CLEAN - Works good to keep crap off your arm when you are artificially inseminating a horse. " so if it is good for that then you know it's got to be good for RV dumping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	341289  
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:45 PM   #37

I dont use gloves but do wash after dumping boat or MH.
I tried reusable gloves for awhile but found it was hard to put on / take off w/ spreading anything bad that might be there.
Single use better but most people aren't careful with removal and likely to pick up anything on a glove.
I dont wear gloves when I use the toilet and wipe and noticed most moms / dads dont glove up to clean up the tots. Washing after seems to do the trick.
I do keep separate hoses for fresh water and black tank flush but they get connected to the same spigot every prior camper used so we all take calculated risks I guess.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:48 PM   #38

I keep a pair of industrial rubber gloves and a container of sanitizer wipes in my wet bay. The gloves, in case I screw up and the wipes to impress my neighbors when I'm done hooking up.

However, twice now I've had "casual observers" tell me they had friends who died due to infections they picked up by not wearing gloves. I tend to come up with a spontanious line but if anybody has one I can use the next time - please post it!

Bill
03 Tradition
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:49 PM   #39

Yes I use the disposable latex gloves because I get them free. I use them when unhooking the trailer or toad also. We’re required to wear gloves at work, so I feel naked without them now and my hands are in much better shape for that reason. DW likes my soft hands after years of them being hard and sometimes cracking and bleeding in the winter.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:18 PM   #40

I also use the disposable latex gloves. Keep a box under the seat in my truck. Just seems like a good thing to do to me.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:23 PM   #41

Yeah..I glove up. Gross not to.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Love the first sentence!

As many times I have been inside sewer manholes (woops sorry, "Personnel Access Chambers") to measure sewage flow with nothing but street clothing and hip waders, or manhandled 4" trash pump hoses to bypass a clogged sewer line, or been down in a muddy stinking sewer trench trying to get a broken pipe out and a install a replacement, I'm probably immune to just about anything! I've handled much worse than my clean RV sewer hose.
You should change your screen name to Norton!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 6.25.25 PM.png
Views:	27
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	341298  
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose