Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you use seat belts while driving?
Yes, I use them every time I drive! 292 89.57%
I use them occasionally, but not always. 25 7.67%
I never use them, too much trouble! 9 2.76%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
Always start out buckled but with our dogs I am frequently unbuckling and rebuckling seeing to their needs. Some trips I feel that I walked further than we drove.
What do you have to do to take care of their 'needs'?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 07:48 AM   #58

Yes, the government only wants to protect you.

I surprised some of y'all still have bathtubs.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #59

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Those of you reading this who think nothing of wandering around a moving coach may find something interesting in the abbreviated "unofficial" version of the pre-trip safety briefing I would give to passengers on my school bus before an activity trip.

"State law and common sense require all passengers must remain in their seats with their upper bodies completely behind the seat back directly in front of them while the bus is in motion. The seats are designed to protect you from injury in most accidents and all sudden decelerations.
Other drivers frequently pull "stupid human tricks" which may require the driver (me) to brake aggressively. This bus is quite heavy and has very effective air brakes to bring it to a quick stop when necessary. Any person whose body is outside of the safety compartment provided by the seating system design when the driver has to perform a maximum performace deceleration(aka - a panic stop) is going to leave their feet and "fly" through the air head first down the aisle.
If the bus is traveling at 35mph when the driver initiates braking that is the speed the face of the airborne passenger will contact the steel dashboard possibly breaking their neck in addition to the severe facial injuries. Their bloody body will then fall into the stepwell blocking the main egress route for the rest of the passengers who will have to step on them to evacuate from the front of the bus."

I know this may sound like brutal and graphic language for children but it was extremely effective, especially for middle school and older kids. It was much easier to be proactive with safety issues than trying to correct rule breakers from the driver's seat while underway in traffic.
If I did have a student or two who insisted on testing the limits of my patience I would pull the bus over at the first safe stopping place, activate my 4 way flashers, set the brake, shutoff the engine, cross my arms and just watch the miscreants in the big passenger mirror.
If there were any complaints I just told all the passengers they were being inconvenienced by the unsafe actions of a few and that as soon as they followed the safety rules I would get back on the road and get them to wherever they wanted/needed to go. The 80%ers quickly used the power of peer pressure to get the 20%ers to sit down and stay down.
If it took more than a minute or two and I was in radio range I would tell the dispatcher where I was stopped for "student management" and would call back when we were on the road again.
I was a relief driver qualified to drive everything in our inventory from 65 passenger CNG pushers on down so I could be called on to drive anything, anytime, anywhere in the district or state. My boss wasn't too fond of my "tell it like it is" attitude and approach to safety issues at first but I soon became the "go to guy" for dealing with routes(usually middle schools) that other drivers hated due to student behavior issues.
I'm buckled up before starting the vehicle, any vehicle!
Hangfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #60

For all you people that require your passengers be buckled in when riding in your vehicle, that is fine and actually good. However, please inform your future guest when offering to drive of your seat belt rule. It may save you some unexpected conflict when you get ready to actually leave. Not everyone likes to be told what to do, even if they are wrong!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #61

I don't wear a seat belt.
I often go over the speed limit.
I don't stop before the stop line.
I sometimes text while driving (although I hate it).
I don't recycle.
I burn when there's a burn ban.
I eat with my elbows on the table.
I've been known to run with scissors.
I built my house without permits.
I probably drink too much.
I swear and I've gone to church.
I do things I shouldn't, and I don't do the things I should.
But that's me!
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:10 PM   #62

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean n Steve View Post
If you ever roll a vehicle and you're wearing your belt, you'll know instantly it's the right thing to do. Ask me how I know...
Saved my life when we rolled
msaffa33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:18 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
For all you people that require your passengers be buckled in when riding in your vehicle, that is fine and actually good. However, please inform your future guest when offering to drive of your seat belt rule. It may save you some unexpected conflict when you get ready to actually leave. Not everyone likes to be told what to do, even if they are wrong!
Well I have not felt the need to announce "No smoking" for decades. I just assume that anybody understands they must do what is legal and socially acceptable.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:40 AM   #64
Commercial Member

my vehicle, MY RULES!!!
either buckle up or walk.
if you have ever been in an accident, you know the value of seat belts.
im from the era of no belts, and ive seen blood and guts too many times to allow
someone to endanger me.
paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #65
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
I don't recycle.
But that's me!
I bet you don't even park between the lines in a parking lot!

Just kidding, it's your life and only you can decide how you live it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #66

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
I don't recycle.
But that's me!
Except for the two I highlighted, have a nut. THOSE two endanger others or their property. Oh, I know, you'd never ever lose control of your vehicle or a fire, right? SMH
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #67

I know that in the earlier days of automobiles, most people didn't think about safety. We rode without seatbelts (not even sure they were available in those earlier cars) without a care in the world.

But knowing what we know today, and for many years, it's hard to understand why someone would purposely choose not to buckle up. Because it's so easy to do, it's really puzzling hearing the excuses why some don't want to wear a seatbelt. I've never heard one good or legitimate excuse. All I can think of is that it might be a show of defiance because he or she doesn't think it's any of the government's business.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #68

In our cars yes. Every time. In the RV most of the time but not always.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #69

you bet

My husband was a Deputy Sheriff/Coroner - you can bet we use our seat belts ALL THE TIME!
Karenys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #70

Roy Fiehler

I should I always in coach more and more in car
mecraf is offline   Reply With Quote