Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #15

If you finance the RV the lender generally has a statement about no commercial use. Your insurance will also require that you have a commercial policy to rent it.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2018, 05:13 PM   #16

Not just no, but...........
Old 01-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #17

NO! Rented a house out once. Last time ever! MH? Won't even think about it. NO!
Old 01-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneraven View Post
I’m very new to this and I’m trying to figure out a way to be able to afford an RV now so I can full-time it later. I’m also thinking about Airbnbing my house And when people stay in it I can stay in my RV and vice versa. I’m curious about people’s rental stories. I’ve been thinking about renting different RVs from the primary RV rental site to see which RV I prefer prior to purchasing. I’m really looking for a way to provide income along with exploring. Any information would be appreciated.
A VERY BIG NO! Why, no one will take care of my RV like I do. Also my wife main reason for owning a RV no one has slept in her bed but her! That's why we do not like hotels beds.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
RV’s are rented out successfully all the time, however those that do it successfully do it as a business. As you can see here people have a lot emotional investment in their RV. It is a very personal item that represents a lot of good times in their life and they treat it accordingly.

We have a vacation home in a very nice community in central Oregon. When we bought it we intended to use it as a vacation rental and it has worked out well for us. The key has been to run it like a business. I tell my wife it is our three bedroom hotel. We keep some funds set aside for new carpets every few years, don’t get upset with water rings on the furniture etc. it is a business and part of the overhead is dealing with that stuff. For our RV I would not rent it out, it is my escape mechanism from everyday life, it’s not a business. It’s my toy and my toys I take care of.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Different folks...different strokes.

For the majority of the folks on here their RV is a valued possession that would never be subjected to the risks associated with renting.

Renting a house is one thing, and the risks are relatively minor because the renters will already have a basic knowledge of how to use a home.

RV's are much, much more complicated than a home, and RV renters are likely to be clueless and not have the ability to meet the requirements to take care of an RV.

So nope, never !

I completely and wholeheartedly agree. I would never let anyone use our motorhome except me and my wife. Too many things (& all BAD) can and would happen. When we have a problem, we identify and get it fixed before the problem causes other, more serious, problems. Renters wouldn’t do that. So, absolutely and irrevocably NO to renting or even “borrowing“ of our motorhome. Besides, no one sleeps in our bed but us![emoji49]
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #21

This subject has been discussed a few times already. Do a search and you will note the overall consensus is not no, but H.... No!
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #22

No way, never, to no one! No one would ever take care of our MH and all these different systems the way we the owners would. After 41 years in airports, airliners, and hotels I finally have our very own cockpit, bed, and schedule.
HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:51 PM   #23

for us never,that would be like lending your toothbrush out for the weekend and most units cost over 250,000
tombottcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:12 AM   #24

Hold that idea....a toothbrush rental business. SBA loan to start, sky's the limit....
Even have a name ready: Solyndra Toothbrushes Can't miss!!!!!
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:13 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
NO...and you cant ride my Harley or borrow my wife either....:0
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:15 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
NO...and you cant ride my Harley or borrow my wife either....:0
^^^^THIS sums it up nicely.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #27

Thanks for the responses

Thanks for all your responses. I love seeing what RV's you all have. Currently, I'm just in the beginning stages of purchasing an RV, probably a Class C (for safety reasons since I'll be soloing it). But, due to my sad and pitiful () situation, I'm trying to figure out a mode of income to support me since I'm in the process of being robbed of everything I've worked for my whole life and have to start over. I was thinking of using my home as an Airbnb, which should work out well, given it's location to town. I was thinking of buying an older RV, but not too old, nice enough to use myself but not too nice I wouldn't want to share it and rent it out. I was planning on paying cash for it; between the $15K & $30K price range. This would give me an opportunity to both familiarize myself with the RV world and travel () plus supply income. Then, once I'm more familiar with both my RV driving talent and financial health, I plan on buying my dream home RV, which I would NOT rent out.

I'll definitely search the site for the other posts, however, when I originally posted, I did a search and was unsuccessful in finding any.

Thanks again.
Reneraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:59 PM   #28

Do you have a job? If not, why not sell the house, invest the money wisely, get your RV and travel while doing some workamping gigs? You didn't say how old you are but many RVers work at Amazon during the holidays - good pay but hard work. Good luck!

Read this blog thoroughly. She's single and young and is doing well by workamping. Read her entries under "Resources". Due to her lifestyle she is living her dream very economically.

http://www.interstellarorchard.com/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote