Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #29

YEP, we save our and others. turn them in for laundry money here in MA.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 06:23 PM   #30

We don't recycle unless we are paid for it.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #31
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I am a manager at a recycling facility and honestly If I never saw another aluminum can I wouldn't miss them. You can't imagine all the crap people put in those bags.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #32

We brought it there - we keep it to recycle it. FYI - any NATIONAL facility we have been to (park, seashore, etc) does have recycling bins, at least for aluminum cans and plastic bottles. So even if you just stop for lunch or to site see, you can recycle. Paper, like empty cereal boxes, if not recycled on the road get stowed and brought home. Wish more CG's offered this - not usually their "fault", but rather the lack of commercial recyclers in their area. Hats off to the other posters here that also make an effort to do this!

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
If they are thrown in the trash, how does that happen?
the bears and squirrels get into the dumpsters, take the trash out and take into the woods
Old 08-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Unless your recyclables are 100% clean(No food or foreign mater), it goes into a landfill. Latest numbers indicate only 9% of recyclable items are actually are recycled.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:48 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
We don't recycle unless we are paid for it.
At home to recycle, I must sort and store it until time for the weekly pickup, then pay the company that picks it up. If I throw it in the trash, I store it and and pay to have it picked up. Trash pick up is a flat rate, so I must pay extra to have the recyclables. Plus the company that gets paid to pick it up gets to sell it.
And recycle glass by crushing it and make new glass? How much power does that save compared to starting from sand? If we wanted to save, why not clean and reuse the bottle?
If I'm ready to throw a can or bottle (don't use many) and there is a recycle near as the trash I use it.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:55 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Some counties recycle at the landfill ... everything goes in the dumpster but gets separated later. A lot of recycled material is not recycled because there are no buyers. It's a mess out there ...
https://www.investors.com/politics/e...lobal-warming/

County we were in once did the seperating later. No matter how much sorting you did it was all going to the same place to be sorted again.

We had fake recycle bins and such around the campground because it was easier to let folks use those and think they did something good than to have to explain to some folks that it all goes to the same place to be sorted so we dont need to have seperate bins for plastic, can, and on and on.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:58 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
We gladly pay $15/month at home to have our recyclables picked up. There is no market now for recycling glass, so it gets put with the trash. We have lots of paper, cardboard, plastic, and metal so we usually fill the bin every week. It is easy to,wash things out at home though. On the road, we recycle plastic bottles if they have a spot, but that’s about it. We just can’t get them as clean with the limited water available in many of our dry camping spots, and I don’t want to store dirty things.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:17 AM   #38

It's funny how threads "evolve". The original question was "Does Anyone Save Their Empty Soda or Beer Cans For Recycle While Camping?" and people seemed to focus on the word "recycle" and started talking about recycling. I always find it interesting what people focus on.

For us, we do save our cans & bottles and bring them to a nearby redemption center which makes returning them pretty easy. You literally just dump them into a machine, it counts them and you get your money. If I had to use one of those machines at the grocery store I don't know if I would bother. That's too cumbersome/time consuming.

We currently have a TT and it's easy to put the cans in the back of my truck but in the future we are looking to swap that out for a class c with a toad. I'm not sure what we will do then.

Speaking of cans, does anyone know if bags of cans attract bears?
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:19 AM   #39

Not if you wash them.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:28 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Just like at home, we have a trash can and a recycling can under the sink.
Trash gets thrown away at the camp ground, recycling comes homes with us and gets put in with our home recycling (unless the campground recycles, which seems to be somewhat rare).
Old 08-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Just like at home, we have a trash can and a recycling can under the sink.
Trash gets thrown away at the camp ground, recycling comes homes with us and gets put in with our home recycling (unless the campground recycles, which seems to be somewhat rare).
X2.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #42

Spartan Chassis
Deposit cans and bottles we brought from home we save and redeem when returning home. Recyclables purchased on the road are recycled when there is an opportunity, otherwise trashed. We try to achieve a reasonable balance without using up too much scarce storage space. We boondock way more than stay at parks and campgrounds so recycling opportunities are somewhat less frequent.
At home we are avid recyclers - didn't even have garbage service for 20 years.
Sneelock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping