Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #15

About 3 years ago we were traveling eastbound on CA 20 on the north side of Clear Lake. Met an oncoming MoHo and as usual I waved. The return wave was something else... both driver and co-pilot returned the wave with big white gloves on their waving hand. No missing that!

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:33 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JB Texas:
... both driver and co-pilot returned the wave with big white gloves on their waving hand. No missing that! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome. I wonder if I could drive while wearing a big foam finger. Oncoming RVers should see that

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:36 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
LOL! White gloves! Now that's funny, I don't care who you are! You know, we don't generally wave, but lately we have been when we're close to another RV... on the motorcycles the wave thing (which everyone does) is interesting, when we're on the Harley, all bikes wave, when we're on the BMW, none of the Harley riders wave unless we do first. We felt "snubbed" when we first started riding the Beemer!

Either way, I think waving is a great thing (on boats, everyone waves!)... I always think of my waves as a wish for a safe ride (whether its in the RV, on a boat, or on a bike). It doesn't require a response, but it's nice to get one.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:30 PM   #19

Im from a little town called Bangor PA. you know everyone as friends or relitaves in the whole town everybody is close, weather ya know them or not ya always say hello, goodbye, have a nice day.. and when i moved out here to phoenix im saying hi to everyone some people dont say a word, some people will grumble hello,
but i can always tell a pennsylvania person by the way the will stick there head up and say hi
Old 08-27-2007, 03:56 AM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I'm not a waver but I will wave back if somebody waves to me. However I do think it's important to make human contact these days as much as possible. People sometimes need a wave and a smile. It can make your whole day! Some of the things that go through my head when someone waves:
Do I know that person?
Who do I know that has a car/rv like that?
Do they think I am someone else?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
We both wave at all rvs. DW waves across that huge median just incase they have binoculars.

I think most people who dont wave back didnt see you and on very rare occasions someone might purposely snub. If the snubbers look in their mirrors they may see my back up wave
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:00 AM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
Hey, I wave, but you probably didn't notice as
you passed me. I also give alot of courtesy on
the road to ANYBODY, not just rv people. When I
was a kid living in california, my folks took us
on a vacation to colorado and I was totally impressed how people in colorado waved and also
gave the right of way and signals of the "go ahead" I never saw that before, I was impressed.
We moved there and I spent all my life there until now. 50 years later I'm living in arizona and I miss that friendliness on the road. I still wave and I still give folks the "go ahead"
and they give me really funny looks. Arizona is
not nice.
But I'm STILL WAVING!!
cameo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #23

We wave a hearty wave and about 50% of the time get a wave back, sometimes a very timid wave like, honey do we know those folks? It is fun.

1990 Foretravel Grand Villa Detroit powered pushed by a car trailer with an Explorer on it.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #24

New Horizons Owners Club
I'm a waver too, spent my formative years of driving in the Texas Panhandle. Everybody waves out on the farm-to-market roads.

But I have noticed that as the years have gone by the tinting and reflective coatings on automotive glass has made it more and more difficult to actually see other drivers. Unless the light is just right about the best I can see is a silhouette, most of the time just reflections and glare. I wave but don't know if I can be seen through my own factory tinting.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wave here in Cali, but most dont.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:08 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Arizona is not nice."

Must one wave to be nice? You know, the highways leave the state as well as allow entry.

I wave when I see someone wave but I do not watch for that trigger. I wave at others first when I think if it. I believe safe driving has other priorities.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:38 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
I gave up waving a long time ago. It has been my experience that most Harley riders will only wave to other Harleys. Most don't wave to me on my Goldwing. Could the same phenomena be prevalent with RV'ers? Don't know, but I found out that I am better off concentrating on the road and not worrying about waving to someone.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:15 AM   #28

My kids wave at other RVs. We also play a little game. It goes like this. As a certain type of RV passes, you shout it out. "5er" "MoHo" "popup" "trailer" "hybrid", etc. Sometimes one will even shout out "Mini Winnie". We also shout out "turtle" when we see vans or cars go by with the little "shells" on top.

My kids are definitley wavers!!!

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote