Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #43
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
While this is said very harsh it's the truth. For every 1 responsible dog owner there are 100 that aren't.

And for every 1 unresponsible dog owner there are 100 that are.

And as for someone to complain to when children or other items are the nuisance, you can complain to the dog owner when they return to their campsite. I would wager that 99% of the "other" campers would not want to raise an issue.

Now, define unattended. Many, many times I have told the CG reception desk that I have a Husky. I have asked the specific question of what they mean by "unattended." The majority of time I get the response that they mean tied up outside. I will then explain that we do not do that, and that MY DOG DOES NOT BARK. You've heard that before, right? Well, with Miya it is true. She sits up with her two front paws on the dash and just looks out. If a dog owner passes by with their dog she just looks at them, whether we are there or not. Many times I will ask neighbors that we have gotten to know if they heard any ruckus from Miya. There reply is always the same. No they didn't or didn't even know she was there.

And guess what, she is not friendly to other dogs when we are walking outside. She was attacked when she was 18 months old and ever since then she has become very, very protective when on the leash. If a dog owner is walking on the left side, as they should be with the dog on their left, Miya will walk in the heel mode right by any dog - unless they come toward her, then I keep her in check.

So don't say that all dogs are the same, or all dogs bark, or all dogs are - whatever. There are many of us that can train our dogs. Although Miya is not perfect, she's far better than some of those little "kick" dogs that are out there. You know, the "attack" dogs that weigh about 3 pounds, sit up in the windshield and yap, yap, yap at anything they see. That is the owner's fault. Don't blame all dogs, and all dog owners.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
It's a way of saying, "No dogs allowed" without actually saying it.

Since we are full-timers, we normally don't stay in motels; but we have noticed similar policies there. One motel advertised themselves as being "pet friendly," but when you read on down the page, you found out there was an extra charge of $150 a night per pet!
That's just crazy.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
...One motel advertised themselves as being "pet friendly," but when you read on down the page, you found out there was an extra charge of $150 a night per pet!
For $150/night/pet...I would become VERY PET FRIENDLY!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe you have to be a Hotel/Motel owner to understand the extra charge.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
I always find it interesting how these threads bring out such strong responses.

We stay mostly at public parks for the space and dog friendliness. I've seen restrictive dog rules at private parks, but we choose to not stay there.

As for barking dogs? Only had it happen once in past 3 years of full timing that a dog was barking all day next door. What did I do? I went to talk to the owner when they got home and offered some free training tips (I used to be a dog trainer). The next day they took the dog with them and hopefully my tips helped. We worked it out between us as normal human beings.

As for shouting kids? Had that happen multiple times, but I live with it unless they invade our campsite or are particularly obnoxious. And if it really bothers me i'll talk to the parents (never has so far). It's camping after all and we should be able to let loose a little.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #48

We had a precious beagle that did not like to stay alone after her surgery for spaying. We tried everything to no avail. Since we are full timers and did not want to get kicked out of campgrounds, we reluctantly re-homed her. We get to see her whenever we are in the area of her adoption. Public parks and campgrounds do not make you exempt from having to listen to really obnoxious dogs barking all day and night. If you want to sight see, take your dog to a doggy day care. Everyone will be much happier, including the dog.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #49

Foretravel Owners Club
We have been in about 60 different parks in the past year. Haven't heard a barking dog yet.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #50

The rule is not there to exclude dog owners from camping, it's just there to stop someone from making their dog someone else's problem while they go about their touring by themselves.

As a dog owner, I never thought that this was a problem, until the first time we were in Myrtle Beach years ago and camped beside someone who left their dog in their trailer while they left for the majority of the day. Dog barked the entire damn day and quickly became an annoyance. Of course, when they got back, everyone got the "...we had no idea our dog barked when we weren't around...".

Everyone thinks their dog is perfect and not a problem and gets offended when they see such a rule, but there are reasons for it and I appreciate the fact that it's there. You brought the dog with you, you bring it with you when you go.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
Now I can understand if your dog barks non stop and that should be addressed with that person.

CG owners are in operation to rent spaces and maintain the property - NOT to be involved in constant policing and enforcement actions and potential confrontational wrestling matches with renters who refuse to use common sense and courtesy towards the park owners - AND other occupants!

At the very least this policy in my opinion makes the CG a non dog friendly park. One of the reasons my wife and I bought our first motorhome was so our dog could come with us.

FINE! Then that policy won't affect you at all - just do as you state, and TAKE the dog WITH you wherever you go - won't be a problem for the CG owner, OR other campers!

Normally we leave our dog in the motorhome and do what tourists do. Returning to feed and walk our dog.

YUP, and THAT makes YOU one of the potential CG problem RVers - as well as a CG rule breaker at almost EVERY CG we have stayed in over the years - this is NOT a NEW policy! And besides, didn't you just state up above that you BOUGHT the RV so "the dog could come WITH you"? THEN, TAKE the dog WITH you, as you stated - if you're just going to traipse off doing the tourist bit, leaving the dog behind, why not simply leave the darling back home to begin with - no problem for you, CG rules - or neighboring campers!

I just don't understand this policy and its increasing popularity among campgrounds.

Most of the REST of us "understand" it perfectly, and apparently, you are very much in the minority, since most other posters here are VERY familiar with that long-established CG rule, and appreciate the peace and quiet it is intended to provide!
In our 60 years or so of various forms of camping, we have been subjected to just about every form of undisciplined and uncontrolled dog and brat that exists - we are, and have LONG been aware of the "unattended dog" rule, and seen it IGNORED just about as many times as the leash rule, and requirement to clean up after the pooping darlings who vastly prefer to decorate other RV sites, rather than their own - with the full approval of their "pet loving" owners.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
As I see it, the problem here is you are not going to camp grounds. You are going to RV parks and Resorts. Try visiting a State Park or other camp ground if camping is what you want. RV Parks and Resorts are full of older tongue-clackers and grouchy old people who have so little time left to enjoy themselves that any noise or disturbance takes them away from one of the five TV's installed in their Motor Homes. Try going to a place where people spend some time outside with their kids and dogs: you may find the atmosphere a little more relaxed and enjoyable.
Dick
You obviously have not been to a good RV resort.
We spend evenings in camp, explore and go off-road during the day. TV is for morning news and weather. We are not grouchy and do not clack.
There are pets. They are controlled, and the park is patrolled to insure compliance. There are "quiet times".
No troubles!

On the otherhand, state and other public parks is where we had poopers, pee-ers, yappers, growlers, drunks, hollering, and even cats that scratch my jeep hood. A dude that worked during the day left 2 dobermans in the RV. Well, we were gone during the day! Those the stayed complained to no avail.

I love pets and owned many, or make that was owned by many. But fulltiming and constant adventures have precluded having pets until we slow down.

I truly enjoy meeting truly well mannered pets as they are walked, and carry treats for them (if permission is granted). They then look for us and "guide" their owners to our site. The fun without the muss or fuss. Just a personal choice.

So, you wont find us where the rules are not enforced.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 01-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #53
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And again I reiterate: The "unattended" rule may not apply to leaving a dog in the motorhome. Each CG has to be asked that question upon making reservations. I ask, and in the majority it applies to leaving them outside.

Now with that said, I do not have a dog that barks incessantly when she is left in the MH. If I did, I would make other arrangements. She will bark when startled, like someone knocking on the door or the outside of the MH, but it is for a duration of about 10-15 seconds. I consider her my "alarm." So don't knock when we are not there.

Just because there is an "Unattended" rule on the website or in the brochure or rules and regulations handed out, one has to ask the intent of the rule and abide accordingly.

Ask!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
YUP, and THAT makes YOU one of the potential CG problem RVers - as well as a CG rule breaker at almost EVERY CG we have stayed in over the years - this is NOT a NEW policy! And besides, didn't you just state up above that you BOUGHT the RV so "the dog could come WITH you"? THEN, TAKE the dog WITH you, as you stated - if you're just going to traipse off doing the tourist bit, leaving the dog behind, why not simply leave the darling back home to begin with - no problem for you, CG rules - or neighboring campers!
Just want to say that it's not always possible to take your dog with you, for example if you go to the supermarket. In that case it may actually be illegal to leave him/her in your car. We live fulltime in the RV and our dog is physically with us 90% of the time, but there are a few times she can't be. She is well-behaved (I always check w/ our neighbors), but we still try to take her everywhere we can.

Now, we stay mostly at public parks where the rule you mention is not in effect, but I honestly find it odd that people are get so very roaring heated about this. Unless you're having a problem w/ your neighbour (in which case my first impulse would be to talk to them), then I don't really see the big deal. In my 3 years of fulltiming I've not come across alot of issues, but perhaps I'm more tolerant than others. If you talk to your neighbors, are kind and curtious and relaxed (we're all camping after all) then I think most of these issues are rather moot.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK OK we've heard about the crapping dogs the loud drunks the unruly kids, I'll leave all those at home. So not to be considered grumpy I will spend equal time inside my camper as outside. I will help with all my neighbors problems and even buy Girl Scout cookies BUT there is one area left untouched in this thread. What do I/we do about those Yapping wives. Thank God I don't have one
Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
In our 60 years or so of various forms of camping, we have been subjected to just about every form of undisciplined and uncontrolled dog and brat that exists - we are, and have LONG been aware of the "unattended dog" rule, and seen it IGNORED just about as many times as the leash rule, and requirement to clean up after the pooping darlings who vastly prefer to decorate other RV sites, rather than their own - with the full approval of their "pet loving" owners.

Originally Posted by TheJeep
Now I can understand if your dog barks non stop and that should be addressed with that person.

CG owners are in operation to rent spaces and maintain the property - NOT to be involved in constant policing and enforcement actions and potential confrontational wrestling matches with renters who refuse to use common sense and courtesy towards the park owners - AND other occupants!

You are wrong; campground owners are responsible to police their campground.

At the very least this policy in my opinion makes the CG a non dog friendly park. One of the reasons my wife and I bought our first motorhome was so our dog could come with us.

FINE! Then that policy won't affect you at all - just do as you state, and TAKE the dog WITH you wherever you go - won't be a problem for the CG owner, OR other campers!

Really???? Our motor home is our home and further our dog’s home as well. Would you like someone telling you what you can do in your home?

Normally we leave our dog in the motorhome and do what tourists do. Returning to feed and walk our dog.

Well if I was one of the rule breakers I would not be searching for campgrounds that did not have this rule. So are you saying I should take the dog with us when we go out to eat, Walmart, the Zoo, Beach etc.? I don’t want to lock my dog in a strange place for a week or two even if they do take good care of him. Our MH is just that our home.

I just don't understand this policy and its increasing popularity among campgrounds.

Most of the REST of us "understand" it perfectly, and apparently, you are very much in the minority, since most other posters here are VERY familiar with that long-established CG rule, and appreciate the peace and quiet it is intended to provide!

Read what I said increasing popularity. I always chose to stay atCG that did not have this rule.

Well by reading this you must have had some problems over the years. It looks like after 60 years you might just want to be left alone, maybe rving is not for you? Or you just don’t like dogs. They have campgrounds that don’t allow dogs. You should stay at one of them. I expect while camping some noise, kids, dogs, and whatever else comes along. You are not going to get silence at any campground and I could see you reading the rules and then getting upset at every little infraction. I am happy to have opinions and discussion, that is why I posted this. I don’t need a nasty lecture.

My dog is a member of my family. He is a 9 year old German Shepard and a very well trained dog. He will not bark unless someone knocks on the rv. How do I know this? I trained him not to. I have checked with neighbors to make sure that he don’t disturb them. If he did I would not leave him or make other arrangements for him.