Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2021, 02:15 PM   #15

2 Hours on hold with Dometic

Lots of time to hunt for alternatives the the same problem with my Dometic Oasis Elite awning. I was number 14 in the que when I called Dometic. Your solution is likely mine. I ordered two gas shocks. The question is, do I hang up now (I'm number 2 in the que). Note to self. Get rid of all Dometic products in my coach now.
dlmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 02:41 PM   #16

I too have the issue and ordered the McMaster Carr gas shock. I'd really like to know more about how you compressed a 130 pound shock. Any pics to share?
Old 07-23-2021, 06:48 PM   #17

Strut compression

With one end of strut attached to the arm, I had a 6 or 8" turn buckle with eyes on each end. Put a stout wire in each end of the turn buckle and wired one end to the arm and the other end wired to the strut. Screwed the turn buckle down till it fit, installed the pin and done.
Rookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:48 PM   #18

No pics, sorry
Rookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:14 AM   #19

Very helpful. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:40 AM   #20

My Newmar Ventana door awning had bad gas struts so I did exactly what Rookie2 is informing us about how to fix this issue. I followed all the steps as he said and I god my two gas struts in two days and took me 40 minutes to do the work. Now my door awning is working like a champion. There is one thing you must know that the steel body (tube) is about 1/2" longer than the original but doesn't affect any thing. Thanks so much for your help God bless you
RMC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:22 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Folks,
The replacement gas strut from McMaster sounds like exactly what I need to repair my Dometic awning. Would anyone have the part # available?
Thanks,
Tom
TRV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #22

I have been unable to compress the 130# shock. I must be overlooking something in the instructions offered in this thread. Using a turnbuckle, it started to bend the tip of the shock well before is started to compress. Secondly, I can't imagine the Dometic Oasis Elite motor pulling that powerful a shock in before simply tearing the awning material away from the end rail.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #23

Talking door awning gas struts replacement

Door awning: gas struts replacement part # 9416K17 Gas Spring 15.63" Extended Length, 130 lbs Force, price about $15.00 each. these struts are about 1/2 inch larger than the original but they work fine.

purchase from: McMasters-carr
la sales@mcmaster.com

[UOTE=kmghmg;3929380]Hi Everyone!

The small door awning on our 2009 Allegro Bus has gotten to where one side doesn't want to extend very easily. I have to push the button to extend the one side that'll extend about six inches, bring it back in about 3 inches, and then the other side will start extending. A minor annoyance, but a malfunction nonetheless.

I assume it's the gas struts, but I could be wrong. I spent over 30 minutes on the phone with Dometic today, and they don't sell those struts. They'll sell me the entire arm (which includes the struts), but each side costs $242 plus $25 shipping!

Has anyone replaced just the struts or perhaps solved this issue another way?

I've looked online, and I cannot find the strut anywhere. The info on the strut is as follows:

Tuson 0749
3108392 303.

The awning info is:

Product Number: 958328948
Model Number: 975AT56.110U
Manufactured: 06/02/08.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Matt[/QUOTE]
RMC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dometic Door Awning Trouble

Appreciate the gas strut part number information. I will order them and post a reply about the replacement process.
Thanks Tom R
Old 10-24-2021, 07:54 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
I had the same problem. At a rally a few years ago the Dometic rep adjusted the small cylinder type piece on the strut which solved the problem. He moved it along the strut until the awning opened without sticking. It didn't have to be moved much.

I've had to adjust it again since then but an easy project.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:27 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update on project. Placed order and received Gas Spring # 9416K17 from McMaster-Carr but found that end threads were M6 rather than M8 needed for existing fittings.
They did not have anything that would match up with needed spec with M8 threads.
I was able to return them for credit
Not sure how previous posts dealt with this issue?
I was able to find a source on line where I could configure and order exactly what’s needed.
Gasspringsshop.com part # 18-19 stroke 60 180N. $25.92 ea plus tax & shipping. I’ll report further when I get to the next step.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dometic Door Awning Trouble Update

Update from last post. I managed to order the wrong part due to measurement issue hard to believe but I mixed up Cm & Mm.
Gasspringsshop issued a return authorization and shipped correct parts same day.
New struts installed and work perfectly.
Now that I’ve had some “practice” it’s an easy process after the unit is removed from the coach. A total of seven screws per arm plus one bushing pin allow the struts to be removed. Shown with circles on attached image. Two of the screws are shorter, it’s apparent where they go. Important to do one arm at a time so there is a reference for reassembly.
I used a battery charger and alligator clips to drive the motor in and out as needed. Working with the arms facing up, you will need to “assist” with opening & closing so as not to bind and damage the fabric. An easier way is to orient the assembly with arms down as it would be mounted on the coach to open & close Then flip it over to work on it. After removing the screws and one bushing pin, unscrew the end fittings from strut. Install end fittings on new strut. Replace strut, replace screws, replace pin, done. The mechanical advantage of the folding arms make it unnecessary to do any compressions. The position of the rubber sleeve which help the arms lift into the box when closing can be adjusted for best action. The limit switch’s for opening & closing will probably not need adjustment
THE CORRECT PART # IS 8-10-160 180 N. Total cost including tax & shipping was $78. A LOT cheaper than new arms. Best to confirm measurements before ordering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3FCB4127-55E8-4DE9-99BF-0B2B1FB4C3CB.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	349503  
Old 12-23-2021, 10:54 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Another update on project. Remounted awning assembly on coach & tested. It extends and retracts but the arms hang up on the housing when opening & closing. Does anyone have adjustment procedure to correct. It’s mechanical and not related to the limit switch adjustments, I’ve already fine tuned the in & out adjustments and that’s o.k.
Thanks,
To R

Tags
awning, dometic, door