Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2017, 09:49 AM   #1

Dometic Door Awning Trouble

Hi Everyone!

The small door awning on our 2009 Allegro Bus has gotten to where one side doesn't want to extend very easily. I have to push the button to extend the one side that'll extend about six inches, bring it back in about 3 inches, and then the other side will start extending. A minor annoyance, but a malfunction nonetheless.

I assume it's the gas struts, but I could be wrong. I spent over 30 minutes on the phone with Dometic today, and they don't sell those struts. They'll sell me the entire arm (which includes the struts), but each side costs $242 plus $25 shipping!

Has anyone replaced just the struts or perhaps solved this issue another way?

I've looked online, and I cannot find the strut anywhere. The info on the strut is as follows:

Tuson 0749
3108392 303.

The awning info is:

Product Number: 958328948
Model Number: 975AT56.110U
Manufactured: 06/02/08.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Matt
kmghmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #2

Maybe not your problem, but on ours I find that lubricating the hinge/pivot points helps a lot.

Also, when ours gets stuck, just a nudge with my hand will pop it out.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #3

That's a good idea. I'll clean the hinges really well and then lubricate them. We've driven through a lot of dust on the Alaska Highway twice now. Could just be dirty hinges. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #4

Could also try spreading the sticky arm by hand a little.....sight down the edges
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
kmghmg,
Did you have any luck finding a replacement strut? Or did lubricating things do the trick.

I have the issue where the struts on both sides seem not to be doing much, so I need to crank open and tug on the outer frame at the same time.
Thanks,
Cliff
RVwinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #6

Material slide one way or the other?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeWino View Post
kmghmg,
Did you have any luck finding a replacement strut? Or did lubricating things do the trick.

I have the issue where the struts on both sides seem not to be doing much, so I need to crank open and tug on the outer frame at the same time.
Thanks,
Cliff
TahoeWino,

We bought some struts at the suggestion of another member, but we've not installed them yet. I plan to do so in the next couple of weeks and will report on what I find.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:57 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Which struts?

Would love to know what you went with for replacement struts! I sent an email and called Tuson support, but I haven’t heard back from them, yet. I get the sense they didn’t manufacture the struts, but procured the parts and assembled a solution for A&E.

Thank you,
Cliff
Old 05-16-2018, 07:07 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
I heard back from Tuson. They provided the struts to Dometic/A&E a decade ago and no longer maintain any in inventory. In addition, they said that the fittings on the ends of the struts were unique to the arm and couldn’t recommend an alternative supplier for replacements.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #10

Did you ever replace the struts in your Over the Door Awning? How did it work it? I am having the same problem with my A&E OTD Oasis awning (same mdl and prd #). I don't want to buy new arms if I can help it.
MeriJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:45 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Nope

I was hoping we’d hear from kmghmg by now. But, they’re likely dealing with more pressing life issues.

I lubed the joints on mine with silicone spray and they are working “ok”, but just barely. They work fine in dry weather, but can’t keep the awning taught in wet weather. Instead, it fills like a bowl and makes it difficult to get out of the mh.

Would still love to replace the struts!
Old 08-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
HI. go on craigslist SJ put in RV parts Guy's name is Bill 1 856 649 5743 from Franklinville SJ He's not a store but has tons of stuff cheap Dave
poordave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the tip! I gave him a try. He searched around, but had no luck. Said he'd keep an eye out.

It took me a moment to figute out SJ meant South Jersey. I was checking out San Jose... ;-)
Old 02-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #14

Thumbs up Replacement Strut for Dometic door awning success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeriJane View Post
Did you ever replace the struts in your Over the Door Awning? How did it work it? I am having the same problem with my A&E OTD Oasis awning (same mdl and prd #). I don't want to buy new arms if I can help it.
I have a 2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus with a Dometic Oasis II door awning and I replaced an entire left hand arm 1.5 years ago, $350. I needed to replace the right hand one. The Strut on that arm was Stabilus Lift-o-matic. PT#424943 180N. I called them and they said it was proprietary part# and not for sale except from Dometic which is impossible to get.

I measured all the dimensions for the old one, including the threads for the ends, and found a "Gas Spring" 15.63" Extended length, 130 lbs force from McMaster-Carr for $17.58 plus shipping and tax. Got it the next day, installed it and my door awning works great!

Installation Caution: When I tried removed the old strut mounting pins, I broke the ears on the "elbow" that hold the mounting pin for the gas spring because they only come out one way and the "elbow" is a pot metal casting. I made a fix. Also, 130 lbs of force is a lot and I had to use a turn buckle and wire each end to the turn buckle to compress the Gas Spring enough so I could reinstall the mounting brackets on the arm. Took more time to figure out than to actually do.
Rookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, dometic, door