Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We also have the Emerson. It is identical to the Magic Chef model shown in the OPs Walmart link. I think it is a generic model that several companies attach their name to. Anyway, we have had no problems with ours in the two years we have owned it. We purchased at Target also. Ours was sale priced at $119.00.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
We have a Wind Chaser brand portable ice maker - bought it from Camping World on sale in June 2007. It works very well. Before that we had a U-Line stainless steel one and that worked well for maybe 20 years on our boat and then later in our RV. When this one fails we'll replace it. In a couple of hours it puts out plenty of ice for our evening beverages.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wplate View Post
Which you recommend? I see two...

Walmart Mobile

Walmart Mobile

Thanks!
Ours cost $99 at our local WalMart. DH ordered it online "site to store" and picked it up at our local store.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought this one- Compact Appliance has been great to deal with for me.

This unit really pumps the cubes out. As others have said it is NOT A FREEZER, only an ice maker- It tickles me how fast it will fill the hopper basket. I've had it for a year now.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaKara72 View Post
SarahW,
The one I have is an Emerson.
Thanks!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #20

We purchased an Emerson from Target. How so you folks transport your ice maker?

The packaging suggests to keep it to use it for transport, however I can't imagine the box and styrofoam holding up for very long.

Thank you!
wplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #21

Just set it on the floor under way.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since we are full timers I added an outlet in the closet and it sits in there. One of the doors is open when we are making ice in the afternoon for happy hour.
When we travel we don't have to do anything with it.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #23

We have both the small Dometic and the large one. The large one is going on 5 years old and slowing down. The small one is four years old and going strong . I have had to replace the rotating tray in the large one once .
kwestcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was given one by someone who.. Well, long story but she replaced it with a smaller countertop model in her house.

They do make noise (Sound of ice falling off the forms into the tray) sounds a bit like someone knocking on the door.. but it's not enough to wake me up 20 feet away .. Works well.. Makes just enough ice for my needs at any given time ....

In these units the fresh water is below the ice, the ice compartment is NOT refrigerated, as the ice melts the melt drips down into the fresh water tank and is re-cycled till you take the ice out.

I have a very very large water mug (Two full quarts) and the unit I have will fill it with ice.. I think add a flavor powder (Crystal Light or the like) and fill with water from my PUR pitcher the rest of teh PUR goes in the ice maker and then I re-fill the PUR for next round.

Before that i used ice trays.. but they are messy

And before that the U-Line ice maker in the RV fridge but it .. Well, let's say I'm not ever going to replace that water line. I enjoy the increased freezer space too much.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Have had one for a few years and surprised at how fast it will make ice. My only issue is they put out a fair amount of heat so in the summer months we now have a battle with the AC.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #26

We have had the Dometics both large and small for over five years. I had to replace the large tray at about four years. Use the large one at home and the small on the road. Love them both. Hit a camp ground plug it in and by the time I am done hooking up there's enough ice for an adult beverage [emoji7]
Old 06-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have an Edgestar bought thru amazon. We have had it two years now and it runs everyday. Runs great.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #28

We are getting ready to purchase one, but no way would I pay much over a hundred bucks for one, let alone order it online. We're going to get one at WalMart, don't care what brand; if it fails, we take it back.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic