Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2020, 06:39 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Don’t Buy a Monaco

We own a 2002 Monaco Diplomat and love the coach. This is for all the ppl thinking of buying a Motorhome. Don’t buy a Monaco of any Model that was made prior to 2009 as you will not be able to get any support from them.
Example we had a top radiator hose fail last year and could not get any help from them. Since the company was bought out a couple of years ago the older models have been kicked to the curb. You will be on your own when it comes to repair parts and major service.
twostepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2020, 06:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Darn! Too late!
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twostepen View Post
We own a 2002 Monaco Diplomat and love the coach. This is for all the ppl thinking of buying a Motorhome. Don’t buy a Monaco of any Model that was made prior to 2009 as you will not be able to get any support from them.
Example we had a top radiator hose fail last year and could not get any help from them. Since the company was bought out a couple of years ago the older models have been kicked to the curb. You will be on your own when it comes to repair parts and major service.
If support is the only thing that you are rating, then perhaps this is true of a lot of older model. While I have never had to ask for help from them (I just figure it all out and do it myself), I would consider that many (including myself) would consider the pre 2009 to be some of the best years for quality, chassis, interior finish, bang for your buck. I'm only hoping that when my current rig reaches its end that I can still find a good condition, rarely used, sitting in a garage pre-2009 and will pay for that. I don't need to pay top dollar for the newest, flashiest rig to only take it to the shop constantly for the first couple years.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:01 AM   #4

On a 2002 radiator hose failure - what help were you looking for? the Part? the Manual? To have the repair covered by a warranty?

I wouldn't expect coverage beyond what was sold with the RV, the Part isn't too hard to match up, the Manual would be nice but not needed for that basic of a repair.

If you like the RV, then 99% of the issues are OK.

I recently emailed Newmar to see if by chance they still had some floor tiles for my 2002. Nope. but they did provide their supplier and the part number for the tile. Can't find replacements though. But I am not saying Newmar is terrible. On the contrary, the Parts department did what they could by providing the info.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:08 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I own a 2002 Windsor and would not hesitate one bit of buying a pre 2009 coach. There are several forums that provide all the support that I need. I've owned my rig for +10 years and have created an extensive library of information on the rig. I'm confident that I could replace/repair any component on the coach.

FWI, 2009 was when Moncao declared bankruptcy. The continued to try to make rigs piece meal, we toured the plant in 2009 and the quality coming of the line was terrible. They were then bought by Navistar who also tried to make rigs which also have a questionable quality reputation.

Now owned by REV with a noticeable difference in the models. Have to go to the top of the food chain to get anywhere close to the Monaco of old.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:13 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
All we wanted was a hose, OEM or after market, just a hose.
It took the service ppl about 3 days to find something that would work because Monaco couldn’t or wouldn’t help.
twostepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:13 AM   #7

You should probably change your thread to: "Don't buy a used motorhome!" Unfortunately, after a few years of owning a "new" motorhome, you will in fact be owning a used motorhome. Point is, RVs are not like cars--production runs are low and neither manufactures nor after-markets build and maintain large inventories of OEM or new parts in a warehouse [think Chevy dealership or Rock Auto].
So here is the deal--RV manufactures are really assemblers of existing parts. Accordingly, most RVs contain few proprietary parts. Engine, tranny, suspension, chassis, appliances, electronics, are all available in the public marketplace. Your concern about a radiator hose is a great example. The metal coolant pipe it connects to might be unique and require fabrication but the hose will likely be available at NAPA or some other auto/truck parts house [it might require some modification to fit--eg, a bit too long].
I don't personally believe in them but an extended maintenance warranty will transfer the stress of finding needed parts to a RV repair shop. If any/all of this is still disturbing to you, RVing might not be a good choice for you.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Automotive companies generally keep parts for their vehicles for ten years and after that it may be aftermarket only or nos if you can find it so not having any support after 18 years does not seem like a good reason to not recommend a company's products
CUcampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #9

BTW...since this thread is kinda old vs new, I'm am curious about the realistic expectations from new motorhomes. In the last two years, the newest, fanciest, most expensive motorhomes I parked next to all told me that they were spending more time in the shop the first year than on the road with warranty and quality issues.

The first was a monster Tiffin 45', largest engine I've seen, with everything imaginable inside and out. When I met the owner, he was wearing a Monaco jacket and said that he wished he never let go of his older rig.

Just curious what others have experienced? old vs new
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:25 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
You have an 18-year old coach. It’s old enough to vote, join the military, go to college and move out. It’s also 8-yrs past the typical 10-yr product support lifetime. Not to mention that the company went out of business in March 2009... 11-years ago.

Expect much?
Old 05-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Don’t buy pre 2009, NO, don’t buy pre 2012 when the 2nd Monaco went under if you need someone to hold your hand. The Monacoers group has a good list of part #s for pre 2012 rigs.

Even if Monaco was still in business, I would not call them for a failed radiator hose. I would take it off and go to a parts store and match it up. Going to need replacement antifreeze too while there.

I looked at the Newest Monaco units 3 years ago and between they were on a Freightliner chassis and the poor quality of the woodwork... I went with a excellent 08 Navigator.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
"All generalizations (about rv's) are false, including this one." - Mark Twain
Old 05-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #13
YC1

Orphans. But then again, most components are not made by any RV mfgr. They build houses and put them on frames that are often off another assembly line.

The stuff an rv is built from such as the engine etc are not theirs of course. Monaco has lots of documentation out there and here is a great place to find it, and to groan about the lack of support as well.

Lean on all of us gathered here to help you solve these issues. The Monacoers group has a fantastic parts list and more (old timers) than you can imagine. I have gathered with over a hundred of them each year for the last four years at Lazy Daze in Tampa Florida. I have not yet found one issue this group cannot solve.

Join the group, with their new forum layout it is a pleasure to get information and to contribute.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #14

I'm a bit surprised that you expect a company that went bankrupt 7 years after your coach was built and has been purchased x2 since then, to have an instant answer and in stock parts - parts that Monaco did not make.

Realistically, you own an 18 year old coach, what were you expecting, lifetime support? While I understand your frustration I believe your unhappiness is inappropriately placed on Monaco.

Tags
monaco