Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2021, 04:50 AM   #1

Done got old.

No surprise but the wife and I are no longer camping. Not because we don't love going but because of health issues. We both can barely get in and out of the camper and getting down and emptying the drains is no longer possible. Thinking maybe getting a toy hauler for the getting in and out part but we also need a king size bed and maybe auto jacks. Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed. Thanks. Oh, btw; we still have the 28ft TT and the 2500 HD chevy gas'r. We just haven't used it for the last two years.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2021, 04:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldb187 View Post
No surprise but the wife and I are no longer camping. Not because we don't love going but because of health issues. We both can barely get in and out of the camper and getting down and emptying the drains is no longer possible. Thinking maybe getting a toy hauler for the getting in and out part but we also need a king size bed and maybe auto jacks. Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed. Thanks. Oh, btw; we still have the 28ft TT and the 2500 HD chevy gas'r. We just haven't used it for the last two years.
Not sure how a toy hauler is going to save any problems you have. You still have steps to get in and out and if you are talking 5th wheel, another set of internal steps. Some motorhomes, Winnebago has a model, are mobility challenged ready with a mid section side door suitable for chair lifts. I just saw something briefly on the web site, no knowledge of it personally. Motorhome has the advantage of everything on one level. But there's still the issue of hooking up and disconnecting. No answers for that.

EDIT adding; I know the time will come for me too. I no longer jump on the motorcycle for a "3 day cruise". Haven't been on it in months in fact. With my knee and back surgeries my mobility and flexibility is a far cry from a few years ago. When it gets very difficult to impossible I'll change my style. Tough call as was my riding style.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:17 AM   #3

If you can afford it, you can have your RV modified with ADA features, even wheel chair acceess. While you aren't in a wheel chair, maybe a small wheel chair lift would help you get in and out?

https://weretherussos.com/wheelchair...e_RV_Upfitters

There are also some clubs/orgs for disabled RV'rs that might be able to point you in the right direction.

https://weretherussos.com/wheelchair...avel_Resources
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Not sure how a toy hauler is going to save any problems you have. You still have steps to get in and out and if you are talking 5th wheel, another set of internal steps. Some motorhomes, Winnebago has a model, are mobility challenged ready with a mid section side door suitable for chair lifts. I just saw something briefly on the web site, no knowledge of it personally. Motorhome has the advantage of everything on one level. But there's still the issue of hooking up and disconnecting. No answers for that.

EDIT adding; I know the time will come for me too. I no longer jump on the motorcycle for a "3 day cruise". Haven't been on it in months in fact. With my knee and back surgeries my mobility and flexibility is a far cry from a few years ago. When it gets very difficult to impossible I'll change my style. Tough call as was my riding style.
TH's have ramps. Dont need the steps.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:21 AM   #5

I've never considered buying a trailer because of the hitching, sway bar stuff, wheel chocks, corner jack deployment, brake adjustment, etc,,, that come with it. I also pull a boat.

For the OP, a small motorhome, maybe one with one or two steps up into it, might be a better choice.

You still have to deal with hook ups but they're easy if you have the right rig. On ours, the stinky slinky stays hooked up to the drain and requires only opening the wet bay door and placing the other end into the campground's sewer drain. The tank valves are high so there's no getting down on your knees and reaching under the rig to open them. The 30 amp shore cord is in the same compartment and is very easy to pull over to the park's pedestal. Hydraulic leveling jacks use pushbuttons, a quick and easy one time deal because they can usually be deployed before I exit the driver's seat. There's no un-hitching from a tow vehicle to deal with. Top this off with a pushbutton electric awning and you have an easy set up situation that takes only a few minutes to complete.

Yes, there is a chassis involved that is more complex and that requires more maintenance. Overall though, it's a lot easier to camp with.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #6

Toy hauler would not be an option in my opinion. My toy hauler is higher and has 4 steps where the regular travel trailer usually has 3. The hookups and drains are really not any different. Can't see any advantage other than the auto leveling.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #7

What you should be looking at is a small Class C. They usually only have one step to get in.

A toy hauler's ramp is kind of steep and could create falling if you're not steady on your feet. When the ramp is out the back end is wide open so you're not able to use that space for an extra room with the ramp out. You certainly wouldn't want to open and close it with each exit.

In order for the ramp to be extended you need the perfect campsite because it takes up a lot of room.... probably only pull-throughs.

Look at Class C's and study how the various mfg. put their dump area so you find one that's easy to get to.

For a king bed you'd probably have to look at around 30'.

Hope something works for you since you enjoy camping so much.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:05 PM   #8
PKI

When you get too old, execute your RV exit plan.

1. Spot your RV on your very own retirement site. Have accessible ramps and easily operable services installed.

2. Store your RV at a park that will spot it on a site when you wish to enjoy it. Pismo Village in Pismo Beach is one of the parks that accommodates such use.

3. Sell your RV and enjoy your forever home.

4. Partner with someone who is not too old.

5. Set yourself up with an ADA equipped RV.

6. Visit a Specialty RV Park that rents units which give you the taste of RV Life.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Twogypsies covered most of it but you have to get out to lower the ramp and then have an open back end not secure to the weather or "visitors". Steep, slippery when wet. TH bad choice for mobility issues, in fact any towable is going to have connection issues and procedures which may become more difficult. I concur with smaller C.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:58 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'd suggest downsizing to a class B. Same step up as your pick up. And as easy to drive.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:08 AM   #11

People love to be helpful

Camping is great. If you can upgrade to the rig that fits your needs that's great. Many choices now days for disabled and old folks. We are all getting there. As far as getting set up and tearing down. If your patient and have a six pack handy you can always find someone willing to help a fellow camper out. Yes, even the nasty stuff. People love to be Helpful.

Not sure about this. If you can upgrade the Shasta, you can always ad Electric levelers.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:35 PM   #12

It will be a sad day, but when I can no longer crawl under the 5er, setup the bottle jack, & change a wheel myself it will be time to quit.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post

Yes they do. However, dropping the ramp is a job on most of them. It is heavy. Plus, walking up the ramp is not all that easy.

How do you pull the ramp back up after getting inside the trailer?
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #14

Once they started using slides TTs got pretty high off the ground. My old Shasta 35' TT had fenders up into cabinets. Just one pull out step. Very low profile look. It's good in the wind. Had about tallest 15" tires. I know nobody want to give up slides though. Also lower means everything else is lower to operate.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote