Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2021, 06:05 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't make the Same Mistake as I did

We have a WindJammer 30 ft, Hitch to bumper.
Now Forest River has made the biggest goof of trailer design known to mankind
It has a 43 gal water tank. Which is big enough. But the Design and Engineering
Team are complete IDIOTS.
These morons put the fresh water tank at the rear of the trailer next to the bumper. Try boondocking with that scenario!
Sure fill the water tank and hit the scales. A very scary scenario.
How many cans of CHUNKY SOUP would I have to carry in the front mounted kitchen to counter balance a full tank of water not going over GVW?

This is not my first rodeo we have 45 years experience with every imaginable type of of trailer but I never imagined there would be trailers on the market where they would mount the water tank next to the bumper!!! Maybe I'm the idiot for thinking that FOREST RIVER would be smart enough to design with weight and balance in mind.

I looked under the trailer and it is very well sealed with heavy material. So how could I tell? Here's how! Fill the sucker up and go for a drive to the scales.

I am disappointed with myself but when you are shopping you look for floor plan and weight as the first priorities. Every thing fit the bill or so we thought.

As a rule we use fully serviced campgrounds but there are exception to every rule.
Now that I am finished RANTING does anybody have any ideas what i could do when we want to boondock ??
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 06:53 PM   #2

Just a thought, 20 gallons in the tank, 2 10 gallon jugs up front.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:03 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
As mentioned, 20 Gal. in tank and 20 Gal. in containers up front. I always carry at least one 5 Gal. container of water with us for coffee and cooking. You can get small electric [battery] pumps to pump out the water.
largo1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:40 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies,what you are suggesting is probably my only option. For occasional times it would work ,just have to take the time to do it right.
I have a grey tank in the front might look into putting the same amount in that. Which would work I think.
A lesson learned I guess.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:07 AM   #5

Are you sure "they" are morons? They listened to RV buyers desires. They made it happen. They told the design engineers to sit down and shut up. They colluded with dealers. And finally you paid them. They are following free market principals.

Yes, I did something similar to what you did. I don't think I am a moron. I do think I was ignorant. I am smarter now.

Thank you for sharing. Now many of us are smarter from your experience.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:37 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Shift as much weight forward as you can. Run with 1/2 tank of water.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:52 AM   #7

Have you scaled it loaded 'camp ready' (fresh water tank full and all your normal stuff)

Have you set up the WDH based on truck/trailer scaled weights?

If YES and YES
Does it tow really bad, squirrelly, swaying?

Nice looking trailer and with that 'V' nose the frontal area is quite reduced so that should help with towing
Many trailers have fresh water tanks aft of axles
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:56 AM   #8

Have you actually filled the tank and hit the scales with the TT loaded for travel?
Wouldn’t GVW be the same, regardless of where things are placed in the trailer?
Isn’t correct tongue weight what you’re after?
Is it possible that the front kitchen makes the tongue heavy, so the water behind the axles might act as a counterbalance?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:10 AM   #9

so how much does your weight change? is the trailer level when hitched?
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #10

I agree with everything others have said and I'm still trying to figure out what boondocking has to do with all this.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:29 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't see where the big issue is! If it was a single axle trailer, you might have some problems. A full tank of water would be 325 pounds....heck, that's less than if I was standing in the rear of your trailer.

With propane, electric jack and battery(s) up front, there is a counterbalance of at least a 150 pounds, not to mention any storage you have up front.

On an occasion where you might boondock, just top off before you enter the campground.....that's what we do when we go to Yosemite.

That's a really nice trailer and I think you're getting worked up over a non issue. Relax and enjoy your new trailer.....there were no mistakes made in YOUR purchase!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I don't see where the big issue is! If it was a single axle trailer, you might have some problems. A full tank of water would be 325 pounds....heck, that's less than if I was standing in the rear of your trailer. !
The impact is to the tongue weight. Full of water, the tongue is much lighter than with the tank empty and even more difference if the water was moved from behind the axle to the front of the axle.
Astasoftride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Forest Rivers reply to my issue.

Ted Lambert, good afternoon . I am truly sorry for your frustration with our company and how we design this units. You are right this unit is defiantly not for everyone. We here at Rockwood and flagstaff try to always be moving forward and trying new things. There is only so many option when arranging a floor plan . The model you are discussing and quit upset about is truly not intended for the common boon Docker. We do have many other floor plans that are more designed with that type of camping in mind. This was not the model I would had suggested for you if I were selling to you. This model is one of our best seller though and thousands of people think so and I am not sure if it will be going anywhere soon . If in the rare case a person would want to take this rv on the once in a while boondock camping weekend , then we recommend as the Forest River, Inc manuaul suggest to only put less than half of tank in you fresh water and then when you get to your destination go and buy some gallon of water or a gas station nearest your camp sight and fill up there with fresh water. But you are correct in the fact that there are much better boondock models then the one you are referring to . It was never a goof that we put the tank back there . It was by design that way on purpose. Thanks
Old 02-25-2021, 12:54 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Have you scaled it loaded 'camp ready' (fresh water tank full and all your normal stuff)

Have you set up the WDH based on truck/trailer scaled weights?

If YES and YES
Does it tow really bad, squirrelly, swaying?

Nice looking trailer and with that 'V' nose the frontal area is quite reduced so that should help with towing
Many trailers have fresh water tanks aft of axles
Yes to both questions tows great and everything at the scales is well within limits. ITCHY TOE a member of this forum helped me with the scale numbers and everything worked out.
But I am sure water in the rear tank will through the numbers off. And maybe it will and maybe it won't I will have to do some testing with different water tank configuration.