Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Door entry steps on/off

Does your motorhome have door entry steps that have a switch inside to turn the power to the step motor on and off? Or a manual up/down switch so they go up or down only as you hit the switch? If so, please give brand and model number as I want one. BTY, please do not comment about the switch that makes the steps always go up and down with the opening and closing of the door.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #2

Huh? On my Newmar the switch in position A (my term, as switch is not marked) the steps stay out regardless of door open or close but will retract when ignition key is turned on. Will extend when door opened. In position B, will retract anytime door closed, extend anytime door opened. I usually keep switch set in position A. When parked in our carport I’ll switch it to position B to reduce thee risk of hitting the steps while parking or driving the Jeep.

As far as I know there is no switch to totally turn power off to steps as it would be a safety issue.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Haven't heard of anything like that. I suppose you could bypass the safety switch somehow, but why would anyone want to?
Old 08-04-2021, 08:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonandDeb View Post
Haven't heard of anything like that. I suppose you could bypass the safety switch somehow, but why would anyone want to?
Because several times my steps have gone down while the coach is moving, plus smashing into curbs when exiting.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:31 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Because several times my steps have gone down while the coach is moving, plus smashing into curbs when exiting.
In that case, it sounds like yours may need serviced. If you don't want to get it fixed or replaced, I supposed you could simply locate the positive lead to the motor and install a switch. This way you could kill the power to it when you don't want it to have a mind of it's own. You could find a switch at any auto parts store.

Good luck.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:45 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
There should be a magnetic switch in the door frame that activates the steps when the door opens. If yours is randomly opening, then the switch is either failing or there is too much space between the magnet and the switch. Our friends had the same problem with another brand coach and we had to put spacers behind the magnet to close the gap. No more problems after that. As for hitting a curb, the step controller is designed to stop the motor when it hits an obstruction.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:13 AM   #7
US1

I would assume any MomOn/MomOn switch could be wired in place of the current switch and control circuit, eliminating the current setup in its entirety. The switch would have to be Mom so that once extended or retracted, power to the step motor would be removed.
Of course by doing this, you would have to be fully aware of the steps status.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post

Your problem is with the door position sensor and/or the ignition interlock, not the step mode switch.

If you want a brute force way to prevent it from moving, you can wire in a simple on/off switch on the power wire to the motor. No special switch of knowledge needed.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:27 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I removed the answer he requested I not make. Even though its the correct one.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:42 PM   #10

To do what you want, simply put a switch in the negative ground wire(there's only one) since they receive constant 12V positive to make the components work properly.
That IMO is the best method of avoiding servicing your steps per the Kwikee Service Training Manual.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:32 AM   #11

When I park at home I have a set of permanent steps with a landing built in. I have to disable the steps and keep them in the retracted position.

I just retract them and crawl under and unplug the motor. You have to do it carefully as activating the motor mechanism with hands, head and fingers all up in there could end badly.

I would never install an on/off switch (it would be easy) because of the chance of forgetting and having someone step out expecting steps and they're not there. It's a long drop to the ground from my motorhome. Just too risky.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:40 AM   #12

[QUOTE=hohenwald48;5863757]When I park at home I have a set of permanent steps with a landing built in. I have to disable the steps and keep them in the retracted position.

I just retract them and crawl under and unplug the motor. You have to do it carefully as activating the motor mechanism with hands, head and fingers all up in there could end badly.

what could possibly go wrong! Please don't do this. Just the thought of it scares me.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:05 AM   #13

I have thought about disabling the steps also. Being younger sometimes it feels like an eternity waiting for the steps to operate whenever I open the door. I always leave the switch in extend and stay mode However whenever the engine is running they extend and retract usually when I want to quickly go in or out while checking cargo on the road or initial setup break down at camp. Sometimes I jump over them. Eventually I will install a override switch on the door reed switch to keep the steps in when door open. It is not a priority project so by the time I get to it I may be old enough to prefer the wait
BransonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:21 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's what happened to us. We were traveling and I noticed the steps were out. I asked my DW to go back and check. When she stepped on the bottom inside step they went in. When she took her weight off thebottom step they went back out. She stayed on the bottom step until I exited the freeway. Got out and pulled the power from the steps. After arriving at our first camp ground I figured out there was a loose connection on the magnetic switch. Fixed the loose wire and they are fine and have been for 3 years.

So in fact you may also have a defective magnetic switch. That is for sure one way the steps can come out when you don't want them out.

Tags
door, steps