Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #1

Double pane windows fogging

I have read the older threads on this topic, and they mostly discuss replacing windows and warranty issues. I am interested in locating facilities that can repair a fogged window, and is experienced working on RV's (I don't want someone doing their on the job training on my unit). Does anyone have experience with a source other than what I listed below?

Suncoast Designers in Hudson, Fl. 727-868-2773. Recommended in the Safari TREK forum.

A do it yourself repair kit: Fogged/Streaked Double Pane Window Buster They offer a kit to drill a hole in the edge and instructions to clean the window interior space.

(I also found the information on this forum advising against placing reflective or insulating material on the inside of a double pane window since this tends to overheat the area between the panes)
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
This is a common problem with older Bounders... Many have tried repairing but it always ends up a short term fix. Replacing the windows is fairly easy and NOT as expensive as some of the so called fixes. We order directly from the window manufacture... NOT the RV manufacture or dealer. Look in the corner of a pane and see if it has the manufacture's name and google it.

PS.. I have double pane windows and they are very darkly tinted on the inside... 10 years old and no fogging yet!
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #3

George, your coach most likely has the DP windows mfg by Se-Gi who I believe are now out of business. They also mfg the windows that are in our coach which I had to replace all. When my cockpit window inner seals began their creeping journey, I had the windows replaced by "Motion Windows" in Vancouver WA. Here's their web address: Marine Sliding Windows & Custom RV Exterior Windows

It's a family owned business by Tom Kemp and his son Jeff, great folks.

Good luck with your repairs, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #4

Jim,

Thanks for the reference; I'm looking for something closer to KY, but will see if anything is available in the Elkhart Indiana area. I know about the dreaded Se-Gi windows, and just heard that they were also used by Country Coach (which is surprising). We don't have any "window snakes"... yet, just fogging.

QUOTE=LVJ58;575818]George, your coach most likely has the DP windows mfg by Se-Gi who I believe are now out of business. They also mfg the windows that are in our coach which I had to replace all. When my cockpit window inner seals began their creeping journey, I had the windows replaced by "Motion Windows" in Vancouver WA. Here's their web address: Marine Sliding Windows & Custom RV Exterior Windows

It's a family owned business by Tom Kemp and his son Jeff, great folks.

Good luck with your repairs, Jim[/QUOTE]
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
Old 12-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I learned today that Lazydays RV (Seffner/Tampa, FL) now has the facilities and trained techs to properly repair fogged windows. They will remove the glass, vacuum out the moisture, reseal the dual panes and re-install, for less than the price of installing a new window.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #6

George,
There's a couple of ways to approach this. Se-gi IS out of business. Atwood for quite a few years was selling replacement windows for ANY coach that had broken seal problems. All you had to do was take the window out and call them, give them the exact dimensions and a credit card number and your replacement windows were at your door in a week or two.

I've heard they're not doing it any more because of cut backs in there business. I can't confirm this. So, a search for "Atwood RV parts" may be in the stars here.

The other way to approach it is the way I did. Both the drivers side and the passenger side were fogging, both the slider and the stationary in both windows for a total of (4) windows. After reading and doing some research, I decided to take a different approach. I converted my windows to single pane glass. That is, I had a glass company do it. I gave them the entire windows, they took them apart, measured what they needed, cut the new glass from "Tinted Laminated glass", radius-ed the corners, and installed the new glass and appropriate seals in the original frames and I'll never have that problem again.

I Know, I know, there's people out there that said you can't do that, I did. It works and works well. They slide just as good as the originals ever did and there's no loss of heat in the winter and no loss of A/C in the summer. Just an opinion here. If you cruise on over to RV.net, you'll check into "Class A" motor homes and if you're logged in, you can do a search and find this subjects been discussed about a zillion times.

There's one more company that will come out to your RV and remove the window, tape up the big hole, rebuild the window in there special room shop and then come back and replace it. I'll have to find out the name, if no one chimes in here with it and get back to you if, you'd like. Good luck and happy RVing.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #7

Scott,

Thanks for the information. I would prefer to find a way to renovate the existing double pane windows rather than replacing. And, as you say, there are no fogging problems with single pane windows.

We had double pane on the side windows of our '95 TREK with single pane for the driver and passenger positions. We do a lot of dry camping at sports car autocross events in the summer, and specifically ordered double pane for the thermal insulating qualities. The '99 TREK has double pane all around, which should be even better, but fogged windows and driver visibility don't match. The condition isn't too bad yet, and I started this thread just to get a head start on the repair process.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. This is a very useful forum
Old 12-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
This may be a little off subject...but. I have often wondered how many window problems are caused by placing reflective material or other insulation on the inside of the MoHo windows. I know this is done to conserve heat during the winter and keep out the heat from the sun during the summer. My main concern is using inslation during the summer. If I remember correctly the suns rays are short wave radiation (heat) and can easily pass through glass, but when they pass through glass they are changed to long wave radiation and can no longer pass through the glass. That is why a glass roof is used in green houses. The problem with refective material used inside is the long wave radiation is trapped between the glass and the reflective material and the glass becomes very hot. This can cause the seals to fail and the windows start to absorb moisture as they cool. It is far better to put any sun reflective material on the outside. Just my two cents
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:01 AM   #9

Belgian,
Not a bad theory. I'm not that sophisticated or, know that much about what your saying about glass. Not many people like my approach to the fogged up windows but, it works. I've been in the California deserts with the repaired-single pane-laminated glass facing directly into the sun and it wasn't very hot.

Sure, there was some heat but not overbearing as one would imagine. If ever I need to do it again, I'd do it in a hearbeat. Just my opinion here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:23 AM   #10

Steve,

You are correct; there is advice elsewhere on the forum regarding not using reflective shades on double pane windows .

I used aluminum bubble shades on our '95 TREK with single pane front windows, and the reduction in temperature is outstanding. we also used the shades for insulation during cold weather. I made a set of shades for the '99 TREK with double pane front windows, and may have accelerated the fogging problem. I no longer use the side shades but continue using the windshield shade.

I appreciate the advice to change the front side windows to single pane, but this solution isn't for me. We do a lot of dry camping at sports car events in the summer, and the benefits of double pane windows are great (we waited 4 months after ordering our old TREK; just for Safari to work through a shortage of double pane windows).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
This may be a little off subject...but. I have often wondered how many window problems are caused by placing reflective material or other insulation on the inside of the MoHo windows. I know this is done to conserve heat during the winter and keep out the heat from the sun during the summer. My main concern is using inslation during the summer. If I remember correctly the suns rays are short wave radiation (heat) and can easily pass through glass, but when they pass through glass they are changed to long wave radiation and can no longer pass through the glass. That is why a glass roof is used in green houses. The problem with refective material used inside is the long wave radiation is trapped between the glass and the reflective material and the glass becomes very hot. This can cause the seals to fail and the windows start to absorb moisture as they cool. It is far better to put any sun reflective material on the outside. Just my two cents
Old 01-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Great price/great service

I'm sure this place has been mentioned elsewhere in this forum. But I didn't see it in this thread and anyone reading this should know about this shop just north of tampa.

suncoastdesigners.com

They have a 10 spot rv lot with 50amp/water/dumpstation. You come in the night before (if you want). They pull your window early in the am, tape over the hole so you can stay in your rv, disassemble, polish, reassemble, pull vacuum, and re-install in one day. 5 year warrenty, BEAUTIFUL work!.

200 dollars for any window except drivers side window is 250. I thought it was a bargain. If your window is so cloudy it won't polish out, they will replace the class for $35 a pane, and you MAY have to wait 1-3 days for new glass, although they stock a HUGE number of the more common pieces. I believe they generally can tell you before removal if it will need to be replaced though sometimes one can sneak up on you. They had one of mine in stock and had to order the other piece I needed. I have an older Monaco with the bronzed tint, there just aren't a ton of my coach around.

I can not stress how pleased I was with doing business with these folks.

David
DEG503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Iv'e also heard great things about Suncoast Designs and will be having mine done in March.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #13

I just had Dave Root, mobil service, rebuild, replace seals on my SE Gi windows for about $300 per window. Comes to your place and does the work.
Very professional and the finished job looks like original. I am very happy with his work.
I believe he is now in So Calif and So Arizona - Quartzite?
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #14

Dave Root didw our driver's side windo, too. Home base is Bend, OR I think. No DIY kit will do what needed to be done on our window. Once they start fogging up, you have to take them out of the coach, pull them apart and hope the inner panes aren't too far gone. Then new seals with desicant are put in.

Don't waste your time and money on any kit that doesn't have you pull the window out and replace the entire seal.
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote