Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #1

Downsizing

Thinking of downsizing and checking with fellow RV'ers for experience. [Mod Edit]
We have retired to the Crystal Coast of NC and enjoy our RV adventures regularly.
Thanks for any thoughts.
.Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180607_111549.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	233084  
Sailorbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2019, 08:13 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of us have downsized into something smaller. We did it in 2017 from a Tiffin Phaeton to a Winnebago Navion. Still RVing but on a smaller scale.

Your best bet is to sell your current unit and go shopping. Whether you buy used or new getting something that better matches your current lifestyle is the way to go.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #3

We are a couple hours down the beach . You are not trading down, You are moving up to more adventure opportunities. I have a 1995 Winnebago 23' class A. Fortunately we rented a friends larger motorhome for several years so when we bought we knew how small to go. But three years ago we couldn't find anything new-ish we wanted so we opted for an older short A and upgraded it. IMO The offerings are getting better. Winnebago has 4 or 5 ? C models under 25' . Thor has several, Gulfstream and a couple others. If we had to replace our 95'. We would get one of the short C's since there are few if any short A's. The only one I am familiar with is our friend's 2018 Winnebago Navion. They love it but found the Mercedes engine routine services are expensive. I like their floorplan with double twin beds in the back. I would like the Minnie Winnie 22R since the layout almost mirrors our '95. But since it bloated to being 8 1/2 feet wide I'm not that fond of it. 6" in width makes a difference on narrow roads and tight quarters IMO.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:20 PM   #4

There is always a cost to moving to something different. You seem to have an RV that you know is in good condition. You have already suffered depreciation since you have owned it. You may not require, but are getting the likely advantage of the larger size.

Why change?

I do notice that the 43' DP takes more consideration on where we are going / parking than a small unit. Our Spring Break hotel doesn't have parking...so the RV may stay home this time. So I get that aspect.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did the same, went from a 38 ft Monaco dp to a 31ft class c Fleetwood tioga 2 slides, can drive all day and not get tired, do we full time? No, just weekends and weeks at a time, would we go smaller? No
..not after a 38 ft rp with 3 slides
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The question is Why? There are various possible reasons, but what are yours? You could downsize because you want to get into smaller sites, or maybe even downsize far enough to get improved fuel economy or travel without a toad. Or maybe you no longer have room for a larger RV at your house.

Reasons I do NOT think will apply are: (1) save money (it will cost a bundle to trade of sell/buy), (2) we don't travel as often or as far, (3) a smaller rig is easier to drive.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The question is Why?
Reasons I do NOT think will apply are: (1) save money (it will cost a bundle to trade of sell/buy), (2) we don't travel as often or as far, (3) a smaller rig is easier to drive.
Hi Gary,

I thinking of something easier to deal with. The 5er pretty much limits you to campground to campground travel then unhook & go places. I'd like something small nimble enough to not need a toad, big enough for a few weeks/months in Florida in the winter. What do you think? And remember that we are within a year or so of each other in age.

Joel
joelmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Joel...
Motorhome vs trailer and the relative convenience is a bit different decision than the downsizing that is the subject of this topic.

There is much to be said about the convenience of driving & parking a motorhome instead of a trailer, but for snowbirds the time spent driving to & fro is usually minor vs the living time at the destination. Of course, a big diesel pick-up for towing a 5W may be a downside once there (but some think having that truck is a plus!). As for a coach small enough to drive around handily, I personally think that is a pipe dream. Even a Class B is a large vehicle (pick-up size), and that doesn't yield much living space. Of course, much depends on your standards of personal space & comfort. Want a recliner to relax in? Comfortable tv viewing? Galley space to prepare a nice meal? Closet for some clothes? Etc. Etc. Go spend some time in a 22-25 ft Class B or C on a dealer lot and decide for yourself.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #9

Gary has a lot more years and miles under him than I do. So I'll defer to his expertise. Speaking for my self If I was a snow bird and parking in the same spot for several months I would also opt for something larger. We don't stay in one place more than a week.

For my wife and I the smaller space has worked out wonderfully. We do cook all of our meals in the galley. but we don't watch TV so the big screen and a pair of barcaloungers isn't a requirement. There are definitely compromises and we both have to sometimes grit our teeth and shut our mouths when the other is in a less than perfect mood. It's hard to get away from each other in a 21' x 7'5" living area.

As for cost, like Gary said you are taking a loss, probably a substantial one. As for driving, The 23' handles better than the larger Itasca ever did, and is much easier in traffic and parking lots. It rides about the same. I'm sure a 40' DP drives and rides better but since I haven't driven one I can't make the comparison. There are savings in service and tire costs and possibly fuel costs but it would still likely to take years to catch up to the trade-in loss.