Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #29

I'm new to this RV world ..But after reading this thread , I will only put water I would drink in my tank . If it's not potable , that makes it non potable , and thats not what that tank is for IMHO .
On my to buy list ? water filter system
goingtoenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
We do drink from the tank at times but we bought a Pur water dispenser that we leave on the counter. PUR 18 Cup Water Filtration Dispenser w/ 1 Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IK5A4U8..._euy1zbET9JYW5
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #31
Commercial Member

i use an inline filter when filling. i also have a very high quality filter on the kitchen faucet. this is where i get my drinking water. i also carry a couple of cases of bottled water just in case. doesnt hurt to be prepared.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My rig came with a whole house 3M filter and a second 3M filter on the hot water tap at the galley sink. Water going into the tank is unfiltered, but everything coming out is filtered. I disconnected the heater on the sink spigot as I don't need instant hot water.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #33
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I sanitized my fresh water tank when my coach was delivered from the factory. In the ten years since I have not sanitized the tank and drink the water from it, make coffee with it and make ice with it. Quasi-municipal water systems are treated with chlorine so any harmful bacteria are eliminated. I do carry and use bottled water when I take the toad and dog for a day trip. If I'm unsure of the source, I won't fill my fresh water tank. Been working this way for many years without issue. I should add I have a whole house filter on my system.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
We cook, make coffee, etc., with our tank water and I have no qualms about drinking it. I sanitize it annually, but we keep bottled water cold in the fridge and tend to drink it more than our tank water. Not sure why, other than it’s nice and cold.
X2

Our water bottles, however, are "recycled"...some of our water bottles are so old that the labels have, long ago, disintegrated. We keep some in the refrigerator and toss them in the cooler or day pack when sightseeing, and once consumed, we wash them and refill them from the tap (tank). I'm not an environmentalist by any stretch h of the imagination, but, it boggles my mind the amount of money spent for plain water and the amount of trash that 15 billion of those bottles generate (a very, very small percentage of those ever get recycled). Since the motor home has a residential refrigerator in it with ice and cold water in the door, we use that when kicked back in the CG.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #35

Installed a 3 stage filter under the sink so we don't have to waste money on bottled water. Cost all of $70, very worth it.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #36

I do a 3 way set up.

Tank water for dishes, shower, toilet.

Bottled water Costco 30 pac for $5 to drink, girlfriend uses it for dog too,, sigh...

2 1/2 gallon water bottle on counter with stand an faucet, for coffee, rinsing tooth brush. That I fill at CG water stations.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #37

Stop buying bottled water and get some reusable bottles. We carry about 5-6 gallons of RO water and fill our own bottles. Less trash and better tasting water.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguablanco View Post
Stop buying bottled water and get some reusable bottles. We carry about 5-6 gallons of RO water and fill our own bottles. Less trash and better tasting water.
RichH
We refill bottles.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

i always drink from the tank, including ice and coffee. I find it a bit weird that so many Americans no longer feel their municipal water supply is safe to drink. Yeah, I know about Flint and there have been a few others, but one can cite similar examples of malfeasance in hospitals, bottling companies, food packers, etc. etc. etc. Why is Desani or Sam's Choice any more reliable?

As for campground water supplies(not the tank), I've worked in several campgrounds and every one of them had to have their water tested regularly to local health code standards. That include places in NY, Maine, Washington, and PA. Even ones that were connected to the local city supply still had to get secondary testing to show their distribution system met the health code. But I see that many of you drink bottled water at home too. Even though that is just bottled tap water from somewhere else.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #40

Oh Well!

In the area where I live a lot of folks have ground wells. I do not. The well water quickly grows algae and gets to smelling foul. It will contaminate (in my opinion) a camper water system and it's hard to get the taste/smell out.

I have made a "winterizing bucket" that has a fresh water pump just like the one in my coach and have helped out a friend with the problem. We mixed a very strong mixture of bleach and water and pumped it thru the camper just like the anti freeze that the pump is usually used for. We left it in there for a couple of days and then flushed with my city water and the problem was cured.

Sudsy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-19 15.47.17.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	179046   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-19 15.47.21.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	179047  

Old 10-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
I do a 3 way set up.

Tank water for dishes, shower, toilet.

Bottled water Costco 30 pac for $5 to drink, girlfriend uses it for dog too,, sigh...

2 1/2 gallon water bottle on counter with stand an faucet, for coffee, rinsing tooth brush. That I fill at CG water stations.

Where did you get the stand?
scrowell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #42
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've been RVing for 43 years, have had 7 RV's, I've never flushed any of the tanks, and I drink primarily from our tank water. Our last two DP's have had a built in water filter and that's it. I guess I'm just not as neurotic about my water as some.

The only water we shy away from is some places in Arizona where the water just has a bad taste, it's still drinkable, just tastes funny.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water