Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 07:22 AM   #1

Drinking water

We have been full timing for about 6 months and love it. Now we are in the process of fine tuning our lifestyle needs. We had a under counter water filtration system in the home we sold and I stopped buying bottled water for years.

Does any one know of a good countertop filtration system for drinking water. Currently using Brita and it tastes different with each location.

I admit I am fanatically picky but I don't want to revert to bottled water.

Thank you
jkn1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 07:42 AM   #2

There are not many filtration systems that will give a consistent taste as you change sources. The water just varies too much. Our last two stops, Garner State park, Texas, and my sister's place in Las Cruces NM have had terrible water that defeated our filter and we had to resort to bottled water.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:53 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
An RO (reverse osmosis) system (not countertop, but undersink) will be your best bet. It's a little expensive, but if you are full-timing the cost is easy to amortize.

Brita type filters do nothing but get rid of chlorine- not good for sediment, sulfur, bacteria or other problems.

Even good filter systems are severely limited. At our home base, our well water is so bad that two whole house filters, one 5 micron for sediment and a 5 micron activated charcoal for odor only make it usable for showering- still can't drink it.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:53 AM   #4

A reverse osmosis system is about the only thing that will do what you want. They are fairly pricy, use up more space than other filters, and use up a lot of water for back flushing. However, they can even remove salt and other disolver minerals, and will yield consistent water.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:29 AM   #5

We are bottled water people. We use a blue charcoal filter but use water basically to shower and wash dishes although we do brush our teeth. We generally have a case of water for drinking and a couple gallons for coffee and cooking.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkn1946 View Post
We have been full timing for about 6 months and love it. Now we are in the process of fine tuning our lifestyle needs. We had a under counter water filtration system in the home we sold and I stopped buying bottled water for years.

Does any one know of a good countertop filtration system for drinking water. Currently using Brita and it tastes different with each location.

I admit I am fanatically picky but I don't want to revert to bottled water.

Thank you
What we normally do is bring our own house water with us in six 1 gallon jugs. This will last us about four to five days, we usually use this for coffee and Ice Tea. We also bring 16 oz. water bottles for drinking in the 24 pack container, we recycle the plastic water and pop bottles. When we start to run low we either find a WALLY World or grocery store that sells water in a dispenser for $0.59 or so. We than fill our water containers up as required.

We have never had a drink water issues with the locale water this way.

Jim W.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #7

We've been happy with our "hybrid" water supply since full-timing for the past two years. It starts with the blue Camco charcoal filter commonly seen connected to campsite water hydrants. We also have an undersink Everpure Water Treatment System that further treats cold water at that faucet. While it does not provide bottled water quality, the water usually tastes good. Finally, we also use bottled water, mainly for the convenience of having a sealed container next to the bed or when hiking, etc.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We buy bottled water for convienence. Keep it in a cooler at the picnic table - grab a few bottles for day trips etc. But inside - we have bottle water quality full time with Metal Trap Ultra Filters and a Watts softener. It takes up a little space but works well for us. I had this added before going full time. I have seen similar unmounted setups sitting beside coaches many places. I just happened to have the space. I would look into to quality filtration systems for whole house versus under sink setups. Keep the shampoo and soap lathering in the shower and mineral deposits off the shower doors. And make coffee with the tap water and enjoy quality ice from the ice maker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1430059740602.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	92597  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use a dual canister system on the input line, sediment followed by charcoal. I use this water for everything, including drinking (from the line or from the tank), and coffee. DW uses bottled water for drinking, tea, and the cat. I can sometimes taste mild variations from one place to the next, but have yet to encounter what I'd call bad water.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:21 PM   #10

I currently use a twin 10" canister setup. The first is a sediment filter followed by a carbon block filter. I'm considering a UV tube to place after this twin filter set.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a home made activated charcoal filter on the RV inlet (it is housed out of the sun in the wet bay.. OUT of sun is important)

And A Brita inside the fridge..

I do not notice taste differences.

There are several filters including Pur and one I see advertised on the internet I can not recall the name of ... It claims to be better than the rest

I tried a faucet filter once that was like 300 bucks... I do adimt it did a good job. but.... the water system feeding it was one of the best in the country. Most CGs are not.

But for me just the charcoal is usually enough...

R/O can get you very very pure water.. Some people think it is too pure.. I remain.. Unconvinced (Either way) so only pass that on, do not support (or argue against) it.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #12

This is a great site for choosing RV filters. He will also give you personal help if you give him a call.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:06 AM   #13

Thank you all for your suggestions. I appreciate the input.
jkn1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 AM   #14

Drinking Water

Has anyone tried an atmospheric water generator? They cost more than the filtration systems suggested here, but supposedly they condense water straight from the air. They use a lot of electricity so one probably wouldn't be useful wild camping, but would likely work okay if you're mostly connected to shore power. The technology works better in humid climates. Folks in California might want to start looking into this.
Shangri-La is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water