Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #1

Driver's Education

One of my biggest gripes anymore is dealing with folks merging on to a freeway. Many times I'm stuck in the right lane, and a person is coming down the on ramp and isn't looking at traffic, just driving along, on a collision course with me.
Now, as I was taught, you adjust "your" speed to merge with oncoming traffic. Find a gap, flow into it, not just see who flinches first. It's not uncommon to receive a gesture as well, like it's my fault for being there.
Anyone else feeling this?
CosmikDebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 12:50 PM   #2

In a word, YES.
Except I give the gestures! It relieves stress LOL
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:56 PM   #3

Yes, when hemmed in all you can do is slow down as much as you can. it's not your fault that you can't move over. The one merging needs to be aware of conditions, also.

On 3 lanes we always drove in the center lane with the RV so we wouldn't have this problem.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:42 PM   #4

I usually do have to slow down, which then worries me about traffic behind me. As I remember high school driver Ed, the merging vehicle does the speed adjusting to slide into traffic. The rest of us just need to give room if we can, but they shouldn't expect us to open the door for them. I'm always saying "look over, look over, do you see me" and then I brake for them. They get in front of me, then speed up and jump into left lane.
It's maddening.
CosmikDebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #5

Yes, it's maddening. And I have to admit I've been the one that misjudged my entry point at the on-ramp.
But, it really doesn't matter who is 'responsible' for giving way, or whose fault it would be in event of an accident, we are all responsible for our own vehicles and the safety of our passengers. Drive defensively.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:31 PM   #6

Here's a good 'How To':

https://www.drivingskillsforlife.com...to-the-highway
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmikDebris View Post

Anyone else feeling this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsBrewster View Post
But, it really doesn't matter who is 'responsible' for giving way, or whose fault it would be in event of an accident, we are all responsible for our own vehicles and the safety of our passengers. Drive defensively.

Heck yeah. And as someone might have already said, there is a reason commercial trucks move over one lane (if they can) when there are a lot of on-ramps.

I hate it when folks enter the ramp then slow down, and slow down, and slow down some more. I don't mind adjusting to let someone merge, but keep it within reason folks!

I agree 100% with HopsBrewer. Learn defensive driving and then drive defensively. It really is an attitude that will result in a lot less grief. Sadly, that probably doesn't include any hand gestures.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:52 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Makes me crazy, too. The proper term for those on-ramps are Acceleration Lanes, with the intent for the merging driver to accelerate to match the traffic flow and ease merging!
Miller205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #9

Similar gripe here, entering onto the freeway, going slow, talking, not paying attention. All they need to do is push that little skinny pedal and merge into traffic.
WeRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:32 PM   #10

I think that many of the merging people have forgotten that the folks already on the freeway have the right-of-way. It is the responsibility of those entering the roadway to get up to speed and merge, not the other way around.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:59 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pa State Police have been known to ticket Professional Drivers who, while traveling in the Granny Lane, suddenly make way for another Professional Driver who will be merging, and while making such sudden maneuver, cause other traffic already in the passing lane to have to suddenly adjust speed to avoid collision with said Professional Driver.
We need three through traffic lanes on these overloaded interstates. Are you listening Pa and NC and SC with your antiquated two lane systems?
Charlotte is a national disgrace with two brand new "tolled" express lanes that see little use and two original through lanes that are hopelessly packed more than ever.
Gotta say it again. The safest lane for me is to the left!!!
Old 07-27-2021, 04:26 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
I think that many of the merging people have forgotten that the folks already on the freeway have the right-of-way. It is the responsibility of those entering the roadway to get up to speed and merge, not the other way around.
Yup. Then you get the idiots on the highway who slam on their brakes while you are trying to merge and you are slowing to fit in. They tick me off too.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #13

Although not a popular opinion, I think everyone should retake a road test every 10 years. This would help remind people rules/laws that have been forgotten. Also might eliminate some of the drivers who are no longer safe on the road.

I know people who have taken the test multiple times and failed, then finally pass. Scary to be in the same vehicle with them.

Tags
cat, driver