Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2007, 04:53 PM   #1

I just got my first RV and have heard conflicting information on what type of license is required. I am sure it changes from state to state, but any input would be apprieciated. I have heard you do not need any special license, just the one you have now for your car/truck. I have also heard if your GVW is over 26,000lbs you need a class B exemption for RV (this is possible Texas info and requires a written and driving test according to some). When I called my insurance company and added the RV they did not ask me anything about my license. I can see Bad things happening if in an accident or something and not having the correct license.

I may have put this in the wrong place, if so please move or let me know. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2007, 04:53 PM   #2

I just got my first RV and have heard conflicting information on what type of license is required. I am sure it changes from state to state, but any input would be apprieciated. I have heard you do not need any special license, just the one you have now for your car/truck. I have also heard if your GVW is over 26,000lbs you need a class B exemption for RV (this is possible Texas info and requires a written and driving test according to some). When I called my insurance company and added the RV they did not ask me anything about my license. I can see Bad things happening if in an accident or something and not having the correct license.

I may have put this in the wrong place, if so please move or let me know. Thanks
Old 05-24-2007, 07:11 PM   #3

To the best of my knowledge there are no special driver's licenses required in any state for RVs.

Class B is usually required if you are driving a bus "for hire" for the purpose of transporting passengers. This includes school buses.

Class A is required for those driving "big rigs", again a commercial, "for hire" purpose.

There have been attempts to require special licenses in some states for RV owners/drivers, but so far those attempts have been successfully defeated, thanks to Good Sam's alerts.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Edward,

You might want to read this thread.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Texas and several other states do require a higher class of license if the GVWR is over a certain weight.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:29 AM   #6

hi,! The best advice I can give you is to visit your state drivers licence office. They will be able to answer all your questions, and, after all, they work for YOU!!...crow
Old 05-25-2007, 03:45 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Unfortunately, some of the employees of such state offices don't always have the correct understanding and knowledge of the laws on such finer points of these licensing requirements. Many will give incorrect answers when asked, some of our law enforcement officers aren't always up to speed on the law.

I've found a state's DMV website is a good source and the final word is always found by actually reading the state's statutes as they apply to the issue. Many states have them available on the Internet.

Click for RV Driver License Requirements by state.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Some states do require a Class B Non-Commercial license to drive a vehicle over 26,000 lbs GVWR. Pennsylvania is one of those states and I took the test for the license. In Pennsylvania, the only cost is a one time $ 5.00 administration fee. You do take a driving test and answer various questions during the test regarding the air brake system on your rig if you have air brakes.

Much of the confustion about license requirement arise because people confuse and often refer to a advanced class license as a CDL license. A CDL or commercial drivers license is not required unless you are driving the vehicle for hire, but the appropriate class non-commercial license is required for your vehicle.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:53 AM   #9

Thanks guys, I have found that in Texas as in some other states, if your vehicle has a GVW over 26000lbs you need a class B license.

So need to check the GVW.

Thanks again for the information and links.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Wow. I don't think I've seen any topic with more mis-information floating around... probably originating with sales people!

When reviewing the requirements for all 50 states, it appears that a handful do require a special license to drive a MH &gt;26K lbs. So, my questions are:

1) Does anyone know of any instance where someone was cited/arrested for violating this?
2) What would happen if one were stopped in one of those states with an out of state license without the required endorsements?

I'm pretty new and don't want to travel through states where my coach might be confiscated until I can get the proper license!

Thanks,

RickO

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:23 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Rick,

I don't know of anyone being cited but I suppose if an officer was so inclined he'd be able to write a ticket for driving without a license if the driver didn't have what was required by that state's laws. Maybe some of our law enforcement folks will jump in here and tell us what the charge would be.

Whatever it is I wouldn't think it's a big deal. Probably just pay a fine and then show a court that you've obtained the correct license for the vehicle being operated.

I doubt anyone's coach would be confiscated, worst case scenario might be having to leave it by the side of the road until a properly licensed operator is available to drive it for you.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Almost all states are members of the Driver's License Compact. Under the Compact, a driver who is legally licensed in his/her home state is legal in the other Compact member states through which one might travel - in other words, these states practice reciprocity regarding driver licensing. Otherwise, one would conceivably have to satisfy 50 state driver license requirements to travel in every state.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Rick O

You sound like you are talking about Mexico not the USA. They do not CONFISCATE your property for minor traffic infractions here.

You will find very few tickets are written for incorrect license as primary problem. Do 50 in a school zone and along with the speeding ticket you might also get an incorrect license citation.

The major problem is if you end up in court and are not properly licensed in your home state, the lawyers will have a field day with showing how irresponsible you are and oh by the way the reason we are here is cause you are a no goodnik. I don't have the specific case, but was told about this happening in TX.

It is much easier to obey the law.

Dave O
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #14

I believe Rusty is correct. This also applies to vehicle licensing. For example in Missouri a trailer license is a trailer license is a trailer license. The difference is what the tow vehicles gross combined weight is licensed for. You don't want to get stopped with a 6000 lb license on your truck pulling a 10,000 pound trailer. It could become very expensive.

Jack