Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #85

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
For clarification, I have no problem with the zipper principle in theory. Having two lines of equal length alternating merges at the designated merge point would be fine - if that's how it actually worked in practice.

To cite an old homile - In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice; in practice, there is.

Rusty
I actully saw this work a few years ago on RT 80 in central Pa. However there were sign stating "continue 2 lanes until the merge" which made it clear what to do. Seems like everyone behaved and it worked. Then again it was Amish country!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Problem is too many people do not understand haw the zipper works and refuse to alternate or they are too timid to make the merge. I really desist the ones that will not let the next one in. What difference will one vehicle length make at the end of the day?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #87
CD

I think the first comment at the bottom of the link I posted earler had the right idea. A picture is better than a thousand words.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #88

I like the morons that can't seen to stop behind the stop line. They race up to the intersection and stop nearly in it. I watch a truck take the front end of a car because he failed to stop behind the stop line. Second, tailgaters. I have a sign on my vehicle that reads. "If you can read this...then I can deploy your air bags at anytime I choose"
R1Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
"If you can read this...then I can deploy your air bags at anytime I choose"

Old 09-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #90

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So let me get this right - when my lane is ending and I want to merge left, rather than take advantage of a large opening real early I'm supposed to wait until the last moment and try to force myself into the heavier traffic flow?

Sorry - I'll continue to use my method - once it's clear that a merge is needed I look for a large opening in the lighter traffic ahead of the merge, rather than waiting 'til the last moment...
Old 09-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
So let me get this right - when my lane is ending and I want to merge left, rather than take advantage of a large opening real early I'm supposed to wait until the last moment and try to force myself into the heavier traffic flow?

Sorry - I'll continue to use my method - once it's clear that a merge is needed I look for a large opening in the lighter traffic ahead of the merge, rather than waiting 'til the last moment...
Me too I used to worry about anyone "unjustly" getting ahead of me until I turned 60 and started piloting 35,000 lbs. Now I just hope that some dummy doesn't hit me.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #92

Tiffin Owners Club
How about the old sign; "Back off or I'll flush."
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #93
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The zipper effect doesn't work when you're driving a combined 60ft long coach & toad. No one wants YOU in front of them.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #94

I dislike the tiny compact car that climbs to close to my rear bumper that I cannot see them. Coming out west David was in front in the skoolie towing the Jeep, next was me in the old decrepit Class C and Stacey was bringing up the rear in her jeep, towing the food cart. Now Stacey clung to my back bumper pretty well.. staying far enough back to allow me to see her and to allow her enough stopping room (the food cart was loaded to the max with "stuff" since we were moving). Cars would squeeze in between us. Only thing we could come up with was they thought they were "drafting" and saving fuel? It was either that or they were just moronic jerks.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #95

None of you have solutions. You believe in the zipper effect? Not where I live on the I-5 system. If merge comes up, everyone rushes up to the last spot and its all over from then on. I use I-5 often in Portland, see lots of construction zones, and wreck zones, and they all do the same thing,. Everyone rushes up and traffic crawls to a slow crawl. Where is this zipper effect in operation in Northwest? Out of 7 days of traffic, I see it about every 7 days. Put up a merge sign and every one will ignore the sign until the end.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #96
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
The zipper effect doesn't work when you're driving a combined 60ft long coach & toad. No one wants YOU in front of them.

Lori-
Yup, that's the truth!
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #97
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
None of you have solutions. You believe in the zipper effect? Not where I live on the I-5 system. If merge comes up, everyone rushes up to the last spot and its all over from then on. I use I-5 often in Portland, see lots of construction zones, and wreck zones, and they all do the same thing,. Everyone rushes up and traffic crawls to a slow crawl. Where is this zipper effect in operation in Northwest? Out of 7 days of traffic, I see it about every 7 days. Put up a merge sign and every one will ignore the sign until the end.
Having driven I-5 in Portland a few times at various times of the day, that's a true statement. Too bad they can't add lanes here and there to help the traffic flow.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote