Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2021, 01:17 PM   #15

In eastern europe where these roads are some of the only roads between towns and cities, slower traffic straddles the shoulder leaving room for three cars abreast by making the middle of the road with the area around the broken yellow line wide open for passing. It also gives those wanting to pass more visibility of oncoming traffic and reduces the likelihood of head on collision for those that are not actively passing others.
a7az is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2021, 01:23 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On windy roads, where I have to keep getting on and off the throttle, I drop a gear or two. This way you stay in your power band better and not lug the coach coming out of every turn. It will require that you "drive" the coach, versus sitting back and letting it shift on it's own.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #17

In Ireland ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aj82G4x_460s.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	338830   Click image for larger version

Name:	speedlimit.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	338831  

tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I prefer any 4 lane to a 2. So they can pass me.
Rarely can you see a turnout in time to use it on 2 lane.
Texas has a lot of passing lanes. But not enough.
I just can't worry about those going faster. It their responsibility to pass safely. I drive 55 most of the time, it's my safe speed, especially in turns, narrow roads, and hills.
Old 08-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
There's no magic answer.

Drive as fast as you feel safe.
Pull over when you can.
Don't worry too much about it.

I don't know if this is a good idea but if there are any long straights where it's safe to pass then maybe slow down to allow and encourage as many cars as possible to pass before they run out of road.
Thanks.

One of the problems we have in Colorado is there aren't many east-west roads thru the mountains, so they tend to have quite a bit of traffic. There could be more traffic than usual due to the detours around I-70 being closed. This is Hwy 24 from Colorado Springs to Buena Vista. 4 lanes for the first quarter of the drive, then 2 lanes. It's a bit curvy/windy in places with not much shoulder. There is a section with a long straight area where the speed limit is 65 and people often go much faster. I've driven it in my car hundreds of times to go skiing and I don't recall many places to pull over to let people pass.

What complicates things more is my wife will be following in the car since we aren't setup to tow it yet. That means anyone trying to pass will have to go by both of us. I really don't want to be blocking traffic, but I also won't drive faster than I'm comfortable with.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
We'll be doing a short trip in a week. Most of it will be on 2 lane roads in Colorado. No high mountain passes, but it's definitely not flat. Speed limit will range from 50-65 at various points. I doubt I'll be able to go near the speed limit. I have concerns about blocking faster traffic. There aren't any passing lanes to get out of the way, and very few areas to pull over. How do people handle this?
Are you sure there won't be any passing lanes or pull outs? Around here all of the two-lane roads have passing lanes and/or good paved pull outs. Sometimes it's quite a few miles in between, but they have them. Just don't let drivers behind put pressure on you, and just drive at the correct speed. As others said, you're going to be faster than any big rig that's on the road anyway.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Are you sure there won't be any passing lanes or pull outs? Around here all of the two-lane roads have passing lanes and/or good paved pull outs. Sometimes it's quite a few miles in between, but they have them. Just don't let drivers behind put pressure on you, and just drive at the correct speed. As others said, you're going to be faster than any big rig that's on the road anyway.
Once the 2 lane begins, I think there is one very short passing lane. Other than that there is nothing. No pullouts and very little shoulder area. There isn't usually much big rig truck traffic, but due to the I-70 closure there could be more than normal. If there is they will likely be pushing the speed as much as they can to make up time for the long detour routes.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #22

As said before, you have to drive at a speed you consider safe for your rig. If you know you have traffic backed up behind you, pull over when it is safe for you to do so. And, keep your attention on your driving, because if you make a mistake, it may have on more vehicles other than yours.

I think there are a lot of drivers out there that need to be a little less impatient and consider other drivers may have a reason for staying at the posted speed or a bit slower.....and I'm guilty of being one of them at times. But pulling travel trailers and now, our MH with a towed, I think I've learned a lot and am more considerate of those big rigs on the road and the drivers that are just trying to make a living.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:32 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

What complicates things more is my wife will be following in the car since we aren't setup to tow it yet. That means anyone trying to pass will have to go by both of us. I really don't want to be blocking traffic, but I also won't drive faster than I'm comfortable with.
Ask your wife to leave a good space between you and herself. Give passing traffic a place to get into if traffic is coming the opposite direction.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Once the 2 lane begins, I think there is one very short passing lane. Other than that there is nothing. No pullouts and very little shoulder area. There isn't usually much big rig truck traffic, but due to the I-70 closure there could be more than normal. If there is they will likely be pushing the speed as much as they can to make up time for the long detour routes.
I'll bet there's more than you realize. When you're driving in a regular car you don't always notice the pullouts, but when you're driving in a motorhome you always see the signs and you pay more attention to them. In any case, the bottom line is don't drive faster than you know is safe. In fact having your wife behind you as a buffer is probably a good idea. I also would not pull off on any unpaved shoulder.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I'm not saying not to pull over and let them pass, it was the absurdity of the definition of a slow-moving vehicle. Even a vehicle doing the speed limit will have 5 cars stack up behind them as the vast majority of folks on the road speed, as I'm sure most elected officials do.

I gotcha. It could seem to fly in the face of speed limits. At my "age advantaged" stage of life, I don't let that stuff bother me so much. Otherwise I would be going nuts. Haha.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7az View Post
In eastern europe where these roads are some of the only roads between towns and cities, slower traffic straddles the shoulder leaving room for three cars abreast by making the middle of the road with the area around the broken yellow line wide open for passing. It also gives those wanting to pass more visibility of oncoming traffic and reduces the likelihood of head on collision for those that are not actively passing others.
We used to have one of those 3 lane highways on one of the country roads out here. Middle lane was for passing by traffic in either direction. It was also called the suicide lane for good reason. I'm glad we got rid of those.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:51 AM   #27

I get stuck behind people all the time running 40 in a 55 with not a hill in sight. I just pass where I can if legal and safe. Then again we're retired and except for doctor appointments time is not a big issue.
Never have I had anyone pull over to let me by but I sure have had a lot of clowns pull right out in front of me whether towing or not.
I did get a chuckle a few months ago. Two lane road 55 speed limit running 55 loaded. Some random clown ran the stop sign 100 yards ahead in his crap pickup to avoid being behind me. It was a clear level passing zone with no traffic so I just passed him as he couldn't get his junk up to speed. I looked over and smiled as I went by. He wouldn't even look over.
Life's simple pleasures.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:34 AM   #28

I'm sorry officer, I only counted 4 cars behind me.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote