Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #1

Driving with Medical Issues

I have been RV-ing for many years and now, at 79 years old, have a new health issue that could cause death at any moment. An Aneurysm in my stomach could burst and cause me to pass out and die within 20 minutes. I can accept this, but I don't want my death to cause injury or death to others if this should happen while I am driving my Motorhome. My girlfriend is a tiny lady and will not learn to drive the RV. So if we are to continue traveling we need to find another way. Has anyone heard of an emergency device that would allow the passenger in a 42' Class A coach to take control in an emergency situation and steer the coach safely to a stop? Pulling the air brake knob at 65mph is not the answer as it would lock-up the brakes on all wheels and cause the motorhome to skid out of control and perhaps smashing into nearby people and/or vehicles. Any ideas would be welcome, thanks... Larry
LarWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #2

You got lots of answers to this same question over at RV.NET.

Consensuses was fairly unanimous.
STOP driving BEFORE you have a medical issue that could kill you, lady friend and others traveling on the same roads.

Lady friend doesn't want to drive RV or learn to then STOP

If not for your OWN well being then for those innocents sharing the road with you
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #3

SORRY LarWood!
Time may have come ! You answered your own question.
I think your Girlfriend is afraid , rightfully so.
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
You got lots of answers to this same question over at RV.NET.

Consensuses was fairly unanimous.
STOP driving BEFORE you have a medical issue that could kill you, lady friend and others traveling on the same roads.

Lady friend doesn't want to drive RV or learn to then STOP

If not for your OWN well being then for those innocents sharing the road with you

I agree.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:57 PM   #5

Its a shame, but I think the time has come to stop driving anything. There are others to consider!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:59 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Just an FYI....

In an emergency, pulling the air brake is a good thing to do. It WILL NOT lock up the brakes; rather it will bring the coach to a quick, controlled stop.

I have done it, while driving 45mph and it will stop the coach pronto, but no brake locking. The person pulling the brake would have to reach over and steer the coach to the side of the road.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #7

Medical issues

How about getting a seasonal site somewhere? That way your girl friend could drive a car.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:29 PM   #8

I was thinking the great outdoors in florida could be an option for you.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:49 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup, unfortunately time to stop driving. A seasonal site or similar may be the answer. As a teenager I hired out as driver for some elder folks. Would drive them in their car from Indiana to their Florida home in the fall - and go get them in the spring.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it was me I'd quit driving. I don't think you have any choice.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:12 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LarWood, please believe me I truly sympathize with you, but there is no system that will do what you want it do. Even if there was there are too many variables to take into consideration.

You know your driving time has come to an end, and even though it's very difficult, it's a reality.

When I was at the DMV a few years ago there was a gentleman not much older than me (72 at the time) that had been informed he was not going to get his license renewed. He was in tears, and literally begging to have them reconsider their decision. While there were two DMV managers on either side trying to console him, it was to no avail. I just couldn't help dreading when that time might come for me.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what is alarming in your case is your doctor is obviously aware of your condition and the consequences that may present themselves in a situation that could easily harm not only yourself but others as well, but apparently has not taken it upon himself to notify the DMV where you're licensed.

Please take the advice presented by previous posters and park the coach, turn in your driver's license and have your girlfriend drive you to and from the coach.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:44 AM   #12

Thanks to all who replied, but I guess I should have made one thing clear... I have ALREADY stopped driving the motorhome... and have not taken a trip since last summer. Thanks to those who informed me that the emergency brake would NOT lock up the wheels. (It was a truck service manager that told me it would) Fixing the aneurysm is a bit difficult in my case, but I still may take that risk...and until I do, the motorhome stays in storage. So, feel free to drive anywhere you want... because I will NOT be on the road with you!
LarWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Aneurysm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarWood View Post
Fixing the aneurysm is a bit difficult in my case, but I still may take that risk...
Hello Larwood,

I thought that I would chime in and offer my best wishes. Also, I have known two people who have had abdominal aneurysms, one of which had ruptured, and both survived. They had to "take everything out" to get to the aneurysm, but it worked.

Given all of the factors that you mention, I think that it would be worth the risk for you.
The aneurysm is like a time bomb, and it sounds like you could have many good years if you got it fixed.

Best wishes,

Charles.
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarWood View Post
Thanks to all who replied, but I guess I should have made one thing clear... I have ALREADY stopped driving the motorhome... and have not taken a trip since last summer.
I cannot even imagine how difficult this would be for me to be in this position, and how it would really throw a wet blanket on the lifestyle that I love, but you made the right choice.

The correct choices are often the most difficult to deal with. You really do have my sympathy. I hope I will make the right choice too if and when the time comes.