Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #1

Driving with the Generator On?

The past owner of our new MH said he always left the generator running, even while driving. This just does not make sense, but being new to MH's, I thought I would ask the question.
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I occaisionally fire up the genny when travelling. For instance, if the dash A/C can't keep up with the swelter factor and I want to run the roof units to keep cool. I don't run it all the time, but I feel like I could if I wanted to.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #3

We do that. When we went on our road trip this summer the temp. was in the 90's. By running the generator we could run the roof a/c's and the fridge on elect. also. I have very carfully checked the gas mileage with and without running the generator and we noticed very little change at all. We figured we use about 1/2 gallon on hour running the generator.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #4

We travel mostly in summer season when temperatures are warm. Our generator is on most of the time in order to run the house A/C. We also will run a coffee pot, crock pot, sometimes a bread machine and some computer devices while traveling that use AC power. The refrigerator will also automatically switch to AC from gas when the genny is running. Running generators is supposed to be much better for them than not running. Ours uses about .4 gallons of diesel per hour, not a huge cost for comfort.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Depends upon what it was that he wanted to power. Some motorhome get better fuel economy running the house air condition and it certainly provides more cooling especially if it is a diesel genny.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not what you asked but the generator needs to be run at least one hour per month under 50% or more load for "exercise". This will keep it dried out and lubricated. Don't forget the colder months either.

We do drive with the generator whenever we need power or when it needs exercised.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thats funny that you were told that. The reason I say that is the past owners of ours were told to NOT run the generator while driving so they drove with all the windows open and then wondered why they were getting black stuff all over. (The black stuff by the way is from the diesel engine and road while the windows were open.)
Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We often run the genset while driving in hot weather, to power the house a/c. And folks that do not have a large inverter may run it so they can power a crock pot or convection oven while traveling.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We run with it on when necessary for the reasons noted above, otherwise it is off.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We were told by experienced RV'ers that you can run your generator while driving if you wish. However - you may want to attend to your air filter more frequently since it may pick up more "garbage" this way.

To us it sounds like good advice.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #11

We too run it, usually for the extra AC if needed.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We also run the genny while driving. Not all the time, but if it's hot (for AC) or if we need to exercise it (monthly).
Old 01-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
In hot weather we usually fire up the gen when stopped at welcome stations or other short stops. Because the two fo us + the cat ride in the front of the MH, the dash air is sufficient for the most part.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
The generator was put into the MH for MY convenience and as such it will run as and when I safely need it. Were it to be run 100% duty cycle some of the irrelevant reasons of not to run it might even have some credence. I don't believe I have ever heard of anyone wearing their generator out. The biggest source of problems is probably from lack of service and then lack of use. I've never seen a genset with 4 to 5 thousand hours on it. Like most electro/mechanicals in our MH it is lack of use that is the bif killer.
POPPASMURF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator