Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Should we run the generator to power the AC?
Yes, go forth and cool 96 97.96%
No, are you nuts, I'll list the hundred reasons below why you shouldn't 0 0%
Perhaps 2 2.04%
If you're boondocking and living off the land you don't need a stinking ac. 0 0%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2022, 10:34 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
I do not think our coach is set up for that. We would probably have to have an electrician tie into the circuit that operates the exhaust fan over the stove. Not going to happen.
Normally exhaust fans are 12V, you need a 120VAC circuit for power; UNLESS you purchase a 12V crockpot from: https://www.my12voltstore.com/collec...olt-appliances
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2022, 10:54 AM   #44

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Sounds like my crockpot is going to get a good workout this trip.
Do NOT Forget to tie the Lid Down!!!! [Pork Roast ]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181122_133116 (1).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	374223  
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 11:03 AM   #45

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFunlovers View Post
We do not run the generator all the time when driving. But when we want to run the roof air on then we run the generator. Our inverter runs the fridge and microwave but the roof air conditioners need the generator.

Cooler weather then no real need to run the generator.

But on a hot day, especially when headed west in the afternoon then the dash air will not keep up.
Same!

Probably 80% of our traveling is with the gen off, and engine supplied heat coming from AH heat exchangers!
Old 08-25-2022, 02:44 PM   #46

Quote:
I understand there are strong arguments on both sides of the discussion.

Just as before we were heading out on our cross country trip last fall our dashboard A/C blew out all of its coolant in a big whoosh! Leaving us with no time or options to get it repaired before we left town and no time to get it repaired between our CA trip and our trip to Savannah 3 weeks after returning home in the spring. We made a sweltering trip to NC during the 100+ heatwave in June, cut it short, too miserable to do anything.

Fast forward to now, the new owner of the rv repair shop seems to be less competent than I am. I don't think he has called the mfg of the ac unit. So, it may or may not be ready when we leave on our 2 month trip in September.

The question is, what are the votes for running the generator when needed for the AC to cool the coach for the dogs, and us?

We have a 38 ft super-C RV and we always drive with the generator on. Our four cats travel with us and the dash AC would never be able to cool the coach down to a bearable temperature during the summer months. The AC units can barely do that We unhook from shore power when we get ready to go, turn on the generator, then turn on both AC units to keep the coach comfortable. We've never had any problems and it's much nicer when we get to our destination to already have the coach at a reasonable temperature.
alduquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:45 PM   #47

Generators are designed to run while moving. I’ve never heard a sound argument to the contrary that wasn’t utter BS.
Aguster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:45 PM   #48

I use the generator every time I drive. Have been for years.
b17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:50 PM   #49

Using Generator

When we purchased our all electric coach in 2017, the previous owner stressed repeatedly USE THE GENERATOR. It is there to provide power to the coach in case of emergency, failure of dash heat/AC, your personal comfort, etc. Not to mention they need to be used to maintain quality operation. It is an engine (gas or diesel).

2009 Newmar DutchAire
425 Cummins 44 ft.
Olroache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:55 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 1300 hours on my 5500 Onan and 90% has been used while on the road. I will use it that way no matter what.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:04 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
From my manual for 2019 Ventana.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 5.02.24 PM.png
Views:	35
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	374570  
righellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:07 PM   #52

This's wonderful post. All my generator questions are answered here.
Happy camping
kohraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:09 PM   #53

Your wife sits in the sink? Good idea, wish I had thought of that!!
Canusa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:09 PM   #54

I was told that the generator uses LESS fuel than the engine A/C unit so even when just two of us are gone, if it's hot, we use the generator!
Old 08-25-2022, 03:39 PM   #55

Quote:
I understand there are strong arguments on both sides of the discussion.

Just as before we were heading out on our cross country trip last fall our dashboard A/C blew out all of its coolant in a big whoosh! Leaving us with no time or options to get it repaired before we left town and no time to get it repaired between our CA trip and our trip to Savannah 3 weeks after returning home in the spring. We made a sweltering trip to NC during the 100+ heatwave in June, cut it short, too miserable to do anything.

Fast forward to now, the new owner of the rv repair shop seems to be less competent than I am. I don't think he has called the mfg of the ac unit. So, it may or may not be ready when we leave on our 2 month trip in September.

The question is, what are the votes for running the generator when needed for the AC to cool the coach for the dogs, and us?
I've got a 2012 ACE and my chassis AC also went out as we left Key Largo a few weeks ago
I ran the coach AC for the 6 hr drive home. You shouldn't have a problem.
FredKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:39 PM   #56

We do what we need to be comfortable and having a generator allows us to have flexibility. We just completed a three-day, 1,000 + mile round trip to the Houston area with my wife and four of her sisters. We absolutely ran the generator and the two roof units to keep that group cooled in the 90+ heat.
jimnlo1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator