Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #1

Dual pane window sweating inbetween panes

I have a small crank-out dual pane window that is sweating between the panes. Have gotten an estimate of around $600 to replace it.

I have drilled a small hole inbetween the panes up high on the side and two small holes along the bottom edge, then used a can of the pressurized clean air used to blow dust off computers etc at the top hole. After seemingly clearing out all the moisture I then sealed the holes. This has helped the sweating somewhat but not completely.

I've heard there is supposed to be something besides plain air, like nitrogen or such, between the panes. Has anyone ever tried this or know if it's possible to re-seal the panes? I've checked with a couple of glass companies and they just recommend replacing the window.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
If it is like any other double pain window, which I suspect it is, there is a seal between the pains that keeps moisture out. Over time, the seals deteriorate and eventually fail. You have taken some steps to get the moisture out but the real problem is how it got in in the first place. Generally speaking, when seals go on a double pane window, it is ball game over. Having had similar issues with some of the old double pane windows in my sticks and bricks house, changing them out was the only way to truly fix the issue. What you can do is inquire about whether just the glass can be removed and replaced rather than buy a whole new window unit. The former might cost less.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Do a search for "fogged windows" and you'll find a lot of discussion, and at least a couple different solutions. One is replacement, which as you've discovered is expensive, the other is repair. There are a number of repair facilities around the country, I've seen ads in Motorhome and FMCA magazines for some.

I agree with "sirpurrcival", you're unlikely to be able to fix this on your own.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #4

I've read on some of the older posts that they thought the space between the two panes are filled with either argon or nitrogen but no suggestions on how/or where to get a small supply of either of these two gases. I've managed to eliminate most of the moisture by blowing canned air in one small drilled hole and letting it out another one on the opposite side. Then I sealed all around the window (except where I can't reach along the top where the bracket is attached) with a good sealant. I'm still getting just a slight amount of moisture early in the mornings so not sure if there's still a leak or I'm not able to completely clear the moisture with canned air ( like is used on electrical equipment and computers).

Tried a search for argon on the internet but all I could find were large welding containers and no idea how to blow small amounts out of the container. Any ideas of a small container of it?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #5

When I got my dual pane window, they just use regular dried air, no Argon Zenon, Helium name it.
If your seal is damaged, the sweat will always come back.
You need to find near by a GOOD place to repair it. Should cost at least less than $375 each.
You can replace it and it will cost you a little more that twice this amount.
Taking off the window do require 2 persons and is a very easy job.
Norm
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #6

You can get argon from Airgas or a similar welding supply store- it's used in welding. However, I agree with the other posters- the seals are shot.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #7

You can get them repaired at RVFog Dr in Searcy, AR or Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #8

I just had three of my dual glass windows repaired at a standard glass shop.
I simply removed the complete windows and took the dual panes out and brought them to a residential glass shop. They said that should be no problem as long as the glass was not etched with the moisture. They called me three days later to say that they had no problem and the work was complete. The size of the windows is around 4 square feet and it costed $125.00 for each so a total of $375.00 for three windows. All I had to do when I returned home was to put the windows back into their frame and then onto the motorhome.

Very happy with this outcome so far.

Gaetan
Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #9

I wonder of what they use as the spacer between the glass.
This is the weak point and source of all problems.
In the event of a frameless window, I wonder if it is a wise solution. If spacer is inadequate, one might found one side of the glass on the ground....
By-the-way how was the job by that company in Arizona?
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurier View Post
I wonder of what they use as the spacer between the glass.
This is the weak point and source of all problems.
In the event of a frameless window, I wonder if it is a wise solution. If spacer is inadequate, one might found one side of the glass on the ground....
By-the-way how was the job by that company in Arizona?
I don't know what material was used between the panes.

I was told that once the seal is done, it needs to sit overnight to complete the curing process before it can be installed into the window frame.

The glass shop must have measured the thickness of the dual panes because when I installed the panes into the rubber seal and then into the window frame, I had to spray silicone to ease the insertion.

I don't know how it would stand out for frameless windows. A friend of mine is getting two of his frameless windows done this month. I could report back on the outcome later on.

The work was done in Ottawa (Canada) but I would think that almost any glass shops should be able to do it.

Good luck,

Gaetan
Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We had this done at our stick and brick when one seal went...

the first and most important thing is to pull a near vacuum as they insert the inert gas... otherwise the moisture laden air is still in there no matter how you replace it...

I agree get a pro to do it with at least a year warranty so it goes through a complete cycle. (or leave the blinds down all the time )

good luck

Tags
window