Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 02:32 PM   #1

Dual Wheels - Finally figured out solution for pressure check and adjustment

TLDR: The dually chuck in this kit here is awesome, particularly when combined with this gauge/inflator.

I've just about always had pickup trucks, but this is my first dually. Man, checking/adjusting the rear tires' pressure and adjusting as necessary is a PITA. I did a good amount of reading, and in the end took a shotgun approach and ordered several items to try out and this is what I have found to work well for me. Thought I'd share for any future dually newbies who were initially puzzled like me.

My main issue was the outer rears, with the angle of the stem combined with leaving the outer simulators in place, the traditional angled chuck that you pull against the stem didn't line up at all. I needed a good 1/2" or so offset.

In the course of my research I ruled out new/custom metal stems. it seems they could screw with balancing the tires and then would be problematic when rotating the tires. These are on the pickup and I'm usually pretty good about regular tire rotations.

Jaco FlowPro 2.0 (link here) - As is, that is a workable solution for me. I can use it to check the air pressure, bleed off air, and hook it up to the air hose if I need to add air. The chuck on it locks onto the stem and while its a flexible hose, it's stiff enough for me to feed it to the inner tire stem and press it into place. I can just about squish my hand between the tires to hit the lock release button. Then the hose is flexible enough that I can curve it 180 degrees and come back at the inner facing outer wheel stem. Totally workable as is, but still takes me a minute or three of finagling to get those outer stems.

The final piece to the solution, for me, was the Jaco T-Series dually chuck. The chuck end rotates 360 degrees in line with the chuck. It makes getting to those outer wheel stems quick and easy, and reaches straight in to the rears with no problem. Alas, I couldn't readily find the t-series dually chuck on its own and picked up the whole kit of chucks that contained it, here. I subscribe to the idea that you can't ever have too many tools/adapters.

This solves my immediate issue of checking/maintaining the DRW air pressures. At some point a sealed Viair compressor setup and 5g air reservoir will be added to the truck. Until then, I also picked up a set of 135 degree curved stem extenders. I can put them on if I need to add air using a public standard air supply and then remove them before getting back on the road.

The final piece to add to the kit is a stiff tube/hose that I can slide over the rear inner stem caps to make screwing them off/on easy. I still need to find that. Got the idea from someone here, don't remember who, but thanks!

Now that I have all that sorted, I'm going to get a TPMS system so I don't have to manually check every morning and will be able to keep an eye on it all while driving. For the TPMS I'm leaning towards the Tireminder A1AS system, I like the idea of having the display if I want it, but also being able to just use the smartphone/tablet when the DW is driving and doesn't like all the clutter up on and around the dashboard. Options, best of both worlds.

Hope this maybe helps someone in the future. If I've overlooked anything, please feel free to critique.

Thanks,
Joe
Motorcycle Trailer - 2014 Aluma MC10, 2000 GVWR
immortl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 07:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortl View Post
TLDR: The dually chuck in this kit here is awesome, particularly when combined with this gauge/inflator.

I've just about always had pickup trucks, but this is my first dually. Man, checking/adjusting the rear tires' pressure and adjusting as necessary is a PITA. I did a good amount of reading, and in the end took a shotgun approach and ordered several items to try out and this is what I have found to work well for me. Thought I'd share for any future dually newbies who were initially puzzled like me.

My main issue was the outer rears, with the angle of the stem combined with leaving the outer simulators in place, the traditional angled chuck that you pull against the stem didn't line up at all. I needed a good 1/2" or so offset.

In the course of my research I ruled out new/custom metal stems. it seems they could screw with balancing the tires and then would be problematic when rotating the tires. These are on the pickup and I'm usually pretty good about regular tire rotations.

Jaco FlowPro 2.0 (link here) - As is, that is a workable solution for me. I can use it to check the air pressure, bleed off air, and hook it up to the air hose if I need to add air. The chuck on it locks onto the stem and while its a flexible hose, it's stiff enough for me to feed it to the inner tire stem and press it into place. I can just about squish my hand between the tires to hit the lock release button. Then the hose is flexible enough that I can curve it 180 degrees and come back at the inner facing outer wheel stem. Totally workable as is, but still takes me a minute or three of finagling to get those outer stems.

The final piece to the solution, for me, was the Jaco T-Series dually chuck. The chuck end rotates 360 degrees in line with the chuck. It makes getting to those outer wheel stems quick and easy, and reaches straight in to the rears with no problem. Alas, I couldn't readily find the t-series dually chuck on its own and picked up the whole kit of chucks that contained it, here. I subscribe to the idea that you can't ever have too many tools/adapters.

This solves my immediate issue of checking/maintaining the DRW air pressures. At some point a sealed Viair compressor setup and 5g air reservoir will be added to the truck. Until then, I also picked up a set of 135 degree curved stem extenders. I can put them on if I need to add air using a public standard air supply and then remove them before getting back on the road.

The final piece to add to the kit is a stiff tube/hose that I can slide over the rear inner stem caps to make screwing them off/on easy. I still need to find that. Got the idea from someone here, don't remember who, but thanks!

Now that I have all that sorted, I'm going to get a TPMS system so I don't have to manually check every morning and will be able to keep an eye on it all while driving. For the TPMS I'm leaning towards the Tireminder A1AS system, I like the idea of having the display if I want it, but also being able to just use the smartphone/tablet when the DW is driving and doesn't like all the clutter up on and around the dashboard. Options, best of both worlds.

Hope this maybe helps someone in the future. If I've overlooked anything, please feel free to critique.

Thanks,
Joe

I installed the Borg Tire Supply extended valve stems for my duals. They work great and donít leak. Your local tire store can install them. The long stems for the inners come out far enough that they are right next to the outer stems and I donít need adapters.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavenger View Post
I installed the Borg Tire Supply extended valve stems for my duals. They work great and don’t leak. Your local tire store can install them. The long stems for the inners come out far enough that they are right next to the outer stems and I don’t need adapters.

Right, totally valid solution, but in my case that complicates tire rotations. Instead of just moving wheel/tires around for rotation, I'd have to have the tires dismounted from the wheels and remounted, so that the wheels and their stems stayed in the proper location while the tires were shifted to different positions. This is all for a Dodge RAM 3500 DRW pickup. Then I read that the longer stems prove challenging for tire balancing. For those 2 reasons, I opted to keep the current standard stems.

Thanks,
Joe
Motorcycle Trailer - 2014 Aluma MC10, 2000 GVWR
immortl is offline   Reply With Quote