Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2008, 07:52 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, not being up to date on all of the electronic stuff, we just took delivery of a new HR Atlantis. The radio has "Sirius Ready" stamped on the corner. I do have XM at home and on the motorcycle, but what does this mean in the coach. Do I have to subscribe to Sirius? Can the XM be fitted to work in it? What do I have to do? I know, this is simple stuff, but I just don't get it!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:52 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, not being up to date on all of the electronic stuff, we just took delivery of a new HR Atlantis. The radio has "Sirius Ready" stamped on the corner. I do have XM at home and on the motorcycle, but what does this mean in the coach. Do I have to subscribe to Sirius? Can the XM be fitted to work in it? What do I have to do? I know, this is simple stuff, but I just don't get it!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Yes, you do have to subscribe to Sirius, the XM will not work on that radio. You can call Sirius and give them the ID # off of the radio and start your subscription. They do have a lifetime deal, it's $499.99 for life, and you can move it to another radio so many times (I think it's 3 times)for a fee ($75.00 I think). I have Sirius on my coach and my toad, and XM on my company car.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Sirius (or XM) ready usually means, get ready to buy the satellite radio equipment to make the dash radio work.

It usually means the dash radio is capable of controlling the satellite equipment.

I have XM in my GMC, so I bought a stand alone XM car radio and hooked it up to the aux input of the rig's radio.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
And then what do you do when the merger between XM and Sirius is completed... I'm waiting to see which protocall becomes the standard.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have both. XM in the car and Sirius in the RV and the house. Indistinguishable in performance and execution.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Isn't XM and Sirius the same company?? Although still two separate services??

I have XM.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
XM and Sirius will most likely merg within the coming year Gene,but the systems will remaine different for the time being.According to Sirius,after the merger, sirius will broadcast on XM and XM will broadcast on Sirius,and you will tell whomever you are with,what you want,
(to pay for)from the the two systems,baseball,football,hockey and collede football are all available. Your radio instructions should tell you how to get the "EIN"?, serial number from the display of the radio.Write that number down,and call sirius,and go out to the radio,and turn it on,and they will,Sirius,will turn on the service.Easy as can be.Good luck,I love my sireus,whatever kind of music you like,from
all Elvis,to almost anything!And good luck and best wishes with the new motorhome!!!!
Whaler

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #9

Yes the radio will say sirus(or XM ) ready so after we bought our new unit last year we tried to get it set up called sirus told them i wanted the service. they told us you have to buy a unit that attached to the back of your radio($250) and an antenna ($125) i said forget it
Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #10

Yes the radio will say sirus(or XM ) ready so after we bought our new unit last year we tried to get it set up called sirus told them i wanted the service. they told us you have to buy a unit that attached to the back of your radio($250) and an antenna ($125) i said forget it
-----------------------------7d
Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Linn:
Yes the radio will say sirus(or XM ) ready so after we bought our new unit last year we tried to get it set up called sirus told them i wanted the service. they told us you have to buy a unit that attached to the back of your radio($250) and an antenna ($125) i said forget it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe it's different for a motorhome, but our Dodge truck came with a Sirius-capable radio in it...nothing else needed. Since we already had a plug-and-plan Sirius radio, we simply transferred our subscription from it to the truck radio.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #12

Most adds for new MH's are misleading when it comes to being Sirius ready. Like mine you need to buy the antenna and module.I opted for a plug and play unit and hooked it up using the rca inputs.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you to all who gave input for me on this topic. I already had an XM, so rather than go to Sirius also, we bought a modulator, and mounting unit, now we have XM going down the road. Smiling of course.