Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
If a business can raise its' retail price and not lose any sales, then, in my opinion, their original retail price was too low. That is because, again in my opinion, the retailer should have their original retail price set to maximize profit, therefore, any increase in their retail price will result in loss of sales.

Even if every dump station raised their price to $25, they would probably still lose sales because, as has been mentioned in other posts, more people who find alternate places to dump, such as sewer clean outs at home.

Taxing the "rich" is a whole other argument.
LOL ! When you raise prices you can lose sales and still make the same or more profit.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2020, 02:39 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
LOL ! When you raise prices you can lose sales and still make the same or more profit.

That implies the retailer didnt have his price set to make the most profit per sale in the first place, and having your retail price to maximize profit is the basis of my position.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
I'd be interested in the rationale behind that restriction - other than the volume of solid material being dumped I can't see any difference between dumping 40 gallons from your bathtub in the house and dumping 40 gallons rom your RV outside the house.
That's why it's always a good idea to ask for a citation to the ordinance or regulation that prohibits it. Find out if it's even true.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:42 PM   #46

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Does Camping World on I-80 have a dump?
A comment about Cali; I can not tell you how happy I am after leaving the state. For an example; about 1/2 mile from my Idaho home is a FREE state provided 4 (yes, four) hole dump station. Yep, right in town, just down the road from Costco.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:56 PM   #47

Angry Expensive Crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattletrap View Post
I live at Tahoe City Ca. and store my RV in Rocklin Ca. near Sacramento. For years I've been using one of the few dump facilities in Lincoln. Yesterday I went to the facility and was surprised to fine that the use of the dump station has been increased from $10. to $25. I was out raged! Has anyone else found that dump stations are increasing rates? Seems excessive.
Wow!! Sounds like a load of crap to me!
Old 12-10-2020, 10:59 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
I'd be interested in the rationale behind that restriction - other than the volume of solid material being dumped I can't see any difference between dumping 40 gallons from your bathtub in the house and dumping 40 gallons rom your RV outside the house.

Where we live the sewer charges are based on water usage. If you are dumping waste from your RV it wont show up on the water meter for the house, therefore, you are not being charged correctly for sewer fees.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
Careful there. Some jurisdictions do not allow you to dump into a manhole/clean out. I was informed of this by a neighbor that works for the sanitation district in a nearby town. I called our sewer department and was told that dumping into the clean out in my front yard next to the street was expressly forbidden.
Paying a sewer bill every month. I see no difference between using a 5 gal bucket and dumping into your toilet and using your house clean out. You are paying to have your sewage collected and treated. I worked for a sewer district for 7 years and never had a problem with people dumping into the sanitary sewer system . Only when they dump into the storm drainage system which ends up into the environment. If I was told that dumping into my home clean out was illegal I would have to challenge that.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:22 AM   #50

Quote:
Where we live the sewer charges are based on water usage. If you are dumping waste from your RV it wont show up on the water meter for the house, therefore, you are not being charged correctly for sewer fees.
But your/their math may be Flawed - Do they Charge you for the water you use on the Lawn? -

Do they they give you a credit against the sewer charge when you wasH that RV? -

Sorry, but I was in the sewer Business for 30 years - the reason they charge you for water use is because it's EASY not because it Correct/Right. -

I seriously Doubt you will break the Bank by Dumping Your POOP in Your Clean out - most likely you fill your Water Tank with the Local, Your Water. -

Sorry, JMHO,
Old 12-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
We stay at a campground in Redwood City CA that charges $25 to dump (for people not staying at the FHU park) and people line up to pay/use it. It is a gold mine.

Black (tank) Gold .
Old 12-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #52

Quote:
That implies the retailer didnt have his price set to make the most profit per sale in the first place, and having your retail price to maximize profit is the basis of my position.
This ignores the use of "loss leader" pricing to attract customers. The end cap displays at WalMart used to be notorious loss leaders to motivate customers to walk down a side aisle to view more profitable merch. Free showers for OTR drivers who buy 150 gallons or more of diesel are another. Why give away that $10 shower? To maintain loyalty when prices are similar.

It's not always prudent to charge full price for everything because "the market" will present others who are more adventurous.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:36 AM   #53

Here in San diego we have at least two free public dump stations and there are probably more - I use them fairly often, usually as my next to last stop when returning from a trip (last stop before going home and parking is to fill the fuel tank and propane tank). I think they will have to stay open and free as there are so many people living on the streets in their RVs that to close them or start charging for them might lead to a real disaster of clandestine dumping into storm drains etc.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
This ignores the use of "loss leader" pricing to attract customers. The end cap displays at WalMart used to be notorious loss leaders to motivate customers to walk down a side aisle to view more profitable merch. Free showers for OTR drivers who buy 150 gallons or more of diesel are another. Why give away that $10 shower? To maintain loyalty when prices are similar.

It's not always prudent to charge full price for everything because "the market" will present others who are more adventurous.

Originally, we were talking about a business who had just one product, the dump station. Now with Walmart and their thousands of products pricing becomes an aggregate issue where the use of loss leaders and such are part of an overall attempt to maximize profits.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
their facilities, their rules and prices - I am outraged at people who are outraged at people who run their own business..
Old 12-11-2020, 11:17 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
their facilities, their rules and prices - I am outraged at people who are outraged at people who run their own business..
As consumers we're entitled to whatever emotions we decide to attach to a provider of goods or services. Kind of an "eye of the beholder" thing, but people take up various positions for their own reasons.

As consumers our only option is to vote with our wallets/purses/feet. Don't like the price and don't immediately need the service? Pass on by. If your tanks are "Griswald full" and you need to service them Right Now, you can decide if the monetary costs exceeds the need.

This thread points out that "value" is moving (and perceptual) target.
Closed Thread