Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dump Valve Replacement

Does anyone have a dump valve replacement guide? I don't need to replace the 3" black tank paddle valve yet but thought it would be a good idea to know how and check for got'chas, just in case.

Empty, Clean,,, Clean ... before starting..

It looks really simple: There are 4 large hose clamps. Two for the grey side and two for the black side. Loosen, pull out and replace the paddle gate valve then put back the hose clamps.. I'm going to buy a spare and keep it around just in case.

Not all are the same.

TIPS? Tricks? Got'cha's? Watch'out?

Slide Valve with Gate Seals - Product - Camping World
Attached Images

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
I know what you are asking. I bought the kit, slide valve and O-rings, and looked at it for about three days before I got the nerve to replace them. Really the only problem I had was blocking up the drain pipe, without breaking any fittings, to be able to achieve the room to remove the old and install the new. Took all of a half hour to do it. But I did it.

Just make sure that the O-rings stay in place. I used a little grease to help keep the O-rings in place and not falling or sliding out.

Have fun!

Yes, be sure your tank is empty.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #3

Battman, I just changed the one on my Diplomat last week. My T-Handle broke. Anyway what I did was drained and back flushed the tank. I then removed the 4 bolts and nuts. I had some flex play that allowed me to seperate the dump end about 1/4 inch and then the valve just fell out. I cleaned the surfaces of the drain pipes, use a little vasoline to hold the new o-rings in place. I then seperated the to pipes a little and slid the new valve assy back in. Rotated it until the holes lined up and then put all 4 new bolts in. I then added the nuts and tighin them a little at a time in a "cross" pattern until they were good and snug. Add water to tank, checked for leaks, was happy with results. Washed hands, cleaned up tools and materials, washed hand again and enjoyed a cool one. Hope this helps you out. Cool one is not required.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Batman,
Once your tanks are empty, tilt the motorhome away from the valves so any residue in the tanks flow away from valves and you'll have no surprises.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

All good advice so far IMO. I don't wait for them to break but rather tear appart the assembly every 3 years or so... clean and lube everything really well and replace both valves. RJay's tip about raising the driver's side of the rig to keep liquid at bay will help you a lot.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good Tips... Thanks
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #7

Just out of curiosity what kind of lube is best for the valves?

Thinking of replacing our dump valves eventually too, not just the actual valve but the whole arrangement with the Y pipe.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauland Ro View Post

Thinking of replacing our dump valves eventually too, not just the actual valve but the whole arrangement with the Y pipe.
I use Dupont Teflon Multi-Use spray. It doesn't attract dirt and is not a petroleum product which will swell rubber seals.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauland Ro View Post
If I'm disassembling or replacing the valve, I use silicone plumbers grease on the seals. It is safe for rubber, and it lasts quite a while.

There is an additive/cleaner you can put into the tank that is supposed to have a lubricant for the dump valves, but I have never used it, so I can't say how effective it is.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #10

Thank you for the suggestions everyone, doesn't need doing right now but the valves are original as far as we know and although work fine im not one for tempting fate for too long!!!

Especially with the brown stuff involved!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

I just replaced both of mine, found out the hard way you don't put coffee grounds down the drain. Both my Tee handles were pointed down, could hardly pull the grey tank handle, for $13. and some change bought both new removed the 4 bolts and nuts used plumbers grease on the spade and shafts, half hour later job complete. "OH" I reassembled with the Tee handles horizontal. Safe travels...

Poke a Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #12

I had a difficult time getting the rusted bolts loose when I changed my value.

When I installed the new one I made sure that I used stainless steel nuts and bolts to avoid the problem in the future.

Tags
replacement