Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dumping black tank into septic system

Well, taking the leap and moving to AZ. Will be buying a lot big enough to build a RV garage. Some homes have septic systems.
I have never has a septic system. From what I have read, you need to be careful about overloading them. They suggest that you even spread out your laundry over several days, rather than doing all the laundry in a single day.

So what about dumping 50 gal of black tank sewage..and even flushing the tank with another 50 gal. Can this be done if you are connected to a septic system.

Could use any and all advice on the subject.

Thanks,

Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2017, 08:29 PM   #2

I see coaches and other RV'ers parked on their lots with full hook ups there all the time when I'm visiting that area. I've never given that question a second thought, I hope someone has more info to share. I may need to know this also,,,,

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #3

Don't really know the "right" answer, but I've dumped into a septic for years with no apparent problem. I do not use formaldehyde based chemical ever and rarely use any chemical at all. Had tank pumped a couple of years ago and no issues at all. Remember people drain bathtubs, washers etc into them all the time.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Over 30 years of septic tanks and dumping an RV the only thing I can add is this.
Most septic tanks have two compartments one is for the raw sewage and the other is more liquid. I would not dump into the liquid tank as that tank is the last in the process, if you do, you run the risk of having a problem with you field pipes.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:57 AM   #5
IC2

Talk to your septic system builder to ensure that your new system will be big enough to handle the input on a regular basis. It's not just the black tank but the gray tank(s) as well. The initial septic tank, secondary tank as well as the leach field need be sized large enough for your S&B needs plus your RV and a the potential of couple hundred gallons of waste water all at one time. The local soil and local codes will determine the minimum then you, along with the builder will need to determine if it needs to be larger. I've lived in homes where the septic tank would have been marginal and another that was huge --- and the grass was always much greener/better over the raised bed (trans vap) leach field.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
If your system is healthy and addequately sized, it will not be a problem. I built my own septic system over 20 years ago. I ran a line with a sewer dump around the house so my grandmother could park her Class C when she visited. She's gone now but when we bought our 1st RV about 5 years ago, I already had a dump station. I later built the RV Port next to it. I always dump and clean the tanks after returning from a trip.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:05 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Well, taking the leap and moving to AZ. Will be buying a lot big enough to build a RV garage. Some homes have septic systems.
I have never has a septic system. From what I have read, you need to be careful about overloading them. They suggest that you even spread out your laundry over several days, rather than doing all the laundry in a single day.

So what about dumping 50 gal of black tank sewage..and even flushing the tank with another 50 gal. Can this be done if you are connected to a septic system.

Could use any and all advice on the subject.

Thanks,

Dan
In places where no public sewer is available and therefore requires a septic system, the lot will have a perc test or site evaluation done to see how fast liquid is absorbed. Then the lot will be approved for the number of bedrooms that the lot can have.

There are different designs for septic systems but all have the same end result. All the sewage goes into the tank where either by baffles or other means the solids settle to the bottom and the scum to the top. Usually in the middle is where the liquid goes into another area of the tank then when it reaches the outlet, it flows into the leaching field which is a series of pipes placed underground with holes in it that allows the liquid to be absorbed into the earth where micro organisms will break it down.

The drainfield size is not dependent on the number of bathrooms or fixtures in the home. Almost all health departments use the number of bedrooms in a home as a way to size drainfields. The number of people in the house (usually two to a bedroom), and their usual daily water use (usually sixty gallons per person per day), is how the flow rate is established. This flow rate of about three hundred sixty gallons of water use per day inside a three bedroom house determines the amount of sewage that must be sent to the drainfield.

So it depends on your situation and how many people will be living in your house. If you are building a 3 bedroom house but only the two of you, there should be no problem with adding sewage from your holding tanks into the system. As you add, say 80 gallons, to the system, 80 gallons of the liquid will go out the outlet.

However, if there 6 people living in your house with normal water consumption, I would be careful about adding an additional 80 gallons to the tank at one time. perhaps you could add half the black tank followed by half the gray tank one day and the other half the next.
RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:13 AM   #8

Most campgrounds use septic tanks as most are off the beaten tracks and have no sewer systems to hook up to. they have lot of ppl dumping their tanks all at once. Granted they have sized their septic systems to handle this and probably have a routine pumping out.

My dad has dumped into his for years, I dump into mine. Granted when I am at home I am not hooked up to it. I have to drive into the yard to dump into mine. But you have to ask yourself this. how often are you dumping your 100 gallons? i doubt daily. I even doubt weekly since I am assuming when you are home you aren't using the RV very often.

As long as you are dumping 100 gallons on a daily basis you will be just fine. Maybe if you are really nervous be a bit cautious with your water usage for the day before and after dumping. meaning don't go doing a bunch of laundry and taking 2 hour long showers.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:14 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDK View Post
In places where no public sewer is available and therefore requires a septic system, the lot will have a perc test or site evaluation done to see how fast liquid is absorbed. Then the lot will be approved for the number of bedrooms that the lot can have.

However, if there 6 people living in your house with normal water consumption, I would be careful about adding an additional 80 gallons to the tank at one time. perhaps you could add half the black tank followed by half the gray tank one day and the other half the next.
Ray,

Thanks for the great explanation...that makes me feel better. Looks like we will get a 4 bdr home for just the two of us Seems like this is the only way to get a lot big enough for a RV garage.

So I expect that the septic system would be sized properly.
"USUALLY" I dump when leaving the camp ground...but just want to know if I had the option of dumping at home when needed.

Dan
Old 05-09-2017, 06:20 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Ray,

Thanks for the great explanation...that makes me feel better. Looks like we will get a 4 bdr home for just the two of us Seems like this is the only way to get a lot big enough for a RV garage.

So I expect that the septic system would be sized properly.
"USUALLY" I dump when leaving the camp ground...but just want to know if I had the option of dumping at home when needed.

Dan
I assume you are kidding about getting a 4 bedroom house but if you are not, let me say this.
If the soil test shows it is capable of handling the waste from a 4 bedroom house and you only want a 2 or 3 bedroom house, you can always have the septic installer put in a larger system. Just because the lot can handle a 4 bedroom house does not mean that you have to build a 4 bedroom house.
RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:28 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I dump into ours all the time and my wife does all of our laundry on Monday. lol
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #12

We are near Tucson, and dump into our septic system after most trips. We have never had a problem. In fact, I have not yet heard of perc issues in our area - the soil drains well, excepting sudden rainstorms!

We do not use formaldehyde chemicals in the RV, we do not use significant bleach at all, nor do we flush questionable wipes, leftover antibiotics, etc. Our home system does use the shower water for irrigating trees.

In Texas, a neighbor's system failed. He was on a lake. New regulations prevented him from re-doing the system in his yard. It required a new and expensive drip system, a pump for uphill, running lines under a paved community road, and (very lucky) buying a vacant lot across the street.

All in all, putting bad stuff in his toilet cost him over $50K.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDK View Post
I assume you are kidding about getting a 4 bedroom house but if you are not, let me say this.
If the soil test shows it is capable of handling the waste from a 4 bedroom house and you only want a 2 or 3 bedroom house, you can always have the septic installer put in a larger system. Just because the lot can handle a 4 bedroom house does not mean that you have to build a 4 bedroom house.
Exactly. I sized mine for 4 BR and only have 3 BR, with only 2 people. I have 18 acres so space was not an issue. My perc test was in the slower range due to some clay, so I had to build a larger drain field. I also have room for future expansion.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #14

oldmattb,

"All in all, putting bad stuff in his toilet cost him over $50K."

You did not say what he put in the septic to ruin it? What did he do to it?

I would venture that it was age that ruined it, not what went in there--and, yes, TX has some newer regs that almost negate the possible use of a regular leach field, especially near a lake--kinda makes sense, eh? Aerobic systems are now mostly required if a standard one fails, and it is a very expensive system replacement.

So, he decided to get a lot across the street? Wouldn't that require a septic also?

I live in a rural house with a standard leach field--it is actually 24 years old and handles all household liquid wastes just fine. And I used a FloJet to dump our fiver for 3 months while remodeling before moving into the house 9 years ago--never a problem except for a pumpout about every 4 years.

Just wondering what you based your statement on...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank