Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Duncan System for foggy glass work

Has anybody been to Duncan System in Elkhart, IN to have their windows defogged that would be willing to talk about the service they received?

I'd rather hear about them before I have eight windows worked on.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 03:46 AM   #2

I have never had any windows repaired, but I have replaced 3 glass cartridges in the windows, but that was 10 years ago. With that said I know that a lot of companies are now repairing foggy windows/slipping seals with good results. You may be able to find one closer to you. I beleave Duncan is one of the better ones just from what I've read. Do you have 8 windows fogged up or are the seals just slipping? I bought my F/T 6 years ago, it had 3 seals slipping and the windows are still clear as a bell. Almost all older coaches have some of this going on with the duel pane windows. The 3 I repaired I got the glass assy's from the orginal window manf., and just pulled the windows and replaced it.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Rated B+by BBB
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All eight have from mild to very noticeable foggy conditions and I'm sure some are too the point that the glass would have to be replaced. In all of them it's either two or three panes that need serviced. Not giving away any secrets it's $225. for the first glass and $175. for each one after that, that is per assembly not per pane. As much as I like the buss it's just plain ugly and depressing looking out of them.

I already replaced the front passenger side complete assembly because I could not see the mirror at night to back up if there was the least amount of light outside.

I guess as I get older I'm weighing the cost of paying for service compared to what I save by DYI and looking at all the surrounds around the glass and what it would take to remove and reinstall them keeps telling me I have more projects to better spend my time on.

I did try the 3 window manufacturers around here to see if they would reseal or make new glass assemblies for me but they were not very receptive to the idea.

I will admit I did not think of checking the BBB thank you. The short period of time I've been here and with doing several searches here I have yet to find anybody who has had work actually done there.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:31 AM   #5

Good reason to replace them, the price sounds reasonable. How I found the glass cartridge assy's, was to look on the window and call the muaf. They sent me 3 glass assy's for $125.00 for all 3 freight inc. But time you do that then pay someone local to install them you will be just as well off to have it done at Duncan. I know the benefits of duel pane windows but you sure see a lot of them with problems. I also understand the getting older deal, the old DIY stuff just ain't as much fun as it used to be, my hobbies are getting smaller and involve more sitting and a few more glasses of wine while sitting under the awning.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The manufacturers of my windows are now history.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #7

I'm getting ready to remove insulated pane in the slider next to the steering wheel and the insulated unit in the exit door. Duncan tells me if I completely remove them the frame and ship them the fogged glass only. If the glass is not damaged beyond resealing, the cost will be $150 per unit and I will be paying shipping both ways. My 03 Holiday Rambler Imperial appears to have windows that are easily disassembled. I spent 8 years with PPG cutting & installing different kinds of glass in their Shop and out on Glazing jobs. I think it will be OK.

The Collision Center in Elkhart, IN quoted me over $1200 just for the slider plus 4 to 6 hours labor charge at $85 per. About $1600/$1800 just for the one by the sterring wheel.

If shipping to the Lakeland Florida facility is, at worst, $200 round trip and $300 to reseal them both, it's well worth the 2 or 3 hours it will take me to remove the glass and build a small shipping container. I bought 2 - 2X2X8 and 6 standard dog eared fence pickets/boards at Lowes, all for $15. They will make an ideal shipping container.

Thanks,

thmpick
Thmpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #8

I had mine done at RVFOGDR in Searcy Arkansas and they pulled the windows an reinstalled for $200/ each. Plus free indoor storage and hookup. Drive it down and let them do it. Shipping cost will kill you.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #9

I had 10 windows done this past summer at RV Fog Dr. in Searcy, Arkansas with good results. I arrived on Sunday afternoon, hooked up to their facilities and we left Wednesday morning with the windows as clear as a bell. It's nice to have fog free glass to watch what's
going on in the world!!
Very happy with their service!!
Oldkarphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I waited for almost 3 months for my appointment with Duncan and confirmed it before I drove there. Upon checking in first thing Monday morning I was told my time slot was given away to someone who was "getting 8 windows done" I guess my having 10 to do did not count nor the fact I was scheduled in for 4 or 5 days (the whole week) or they felt I was hooked because I already took the time and effort to drive there. I was told to wait outside and someone would get with me as soon as they could. I got a call mid day Wednesday that they could not find me on their lot to start on the windows, no wonder they could not I was already in NY!!!!

This is my experience with them and not an opinion expressed by iRV2.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #11

Hi, You searched the manuf on the brand/logo in the corner of the unit? I will give this a look before proceeding with some of the options laid out in this forum. I appreciate the feed back all of you have shared. It was very helpful!

Thanks All,

thmpick/Mike
Louisville, Ky
Thmpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I waited for almost 3 months for my appointment with Duncan and confirmed it before I drove there. Upon checking in first thing Monday morning I was told my time slot was given away to someone who was "getting 8 windows done" I guess my having 10 to do did not count nor the fact I was scheduled in for 4 or 5 days (the whole week) or they felt I was hooked because I already took the time and effort to drive there. I was told to wait outside and someone would get with me as soon as they could. I got a call mid day Wednesday that they could not find me on their lot to start on the windows, no wonder they could not I was already in NY!!!!

This is my experience with them and not an opinion expressed by iRV2.
Had it been me, they would not have been surprised later to have not been able to find me two days later because I would have raised a ruction on the spot and made it clear where I would or would not be and why. I also would have sent them a bill for my wasted time and fuel, then hauled them into small claims court when they refused to pay.

You should file a report with RV Service Reviews and the BBB to alert others of Duncan's unethical practices. A compalint to the State's Attorny General might also be in line. They did commit fraud by not delivering services as promised.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the link I will make use of it this evening. I chose not to raise a ruckus because at that time I was fit to be tied not to mention more than upset so it was in my best interest not to let my temper guide me. Even if I did and they said they would get right on my windows I would not have and still would not trust them to do a competent job, I'd be concerned about them trying to do 2 big jobs at the same time and who was going to get cut on quality.

Edit;
It seems RV Service Reviews only accept reports if work was performed so my report was not accepted.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #14

My one and only experience with Duncan was to re-seat my two front windows. I drove to them, asked them to give me a quote. The tech said 3 hours so, and would cost $300 in time. (That was 7 years ago, btw). When I arrived at the appointed time, they had me in the shop within 20 minutes, tech reaffirmed the quote and I went wandering around on my bike. Wasn't much to see so I was back there in 45 minutes. My RV was sitting out back in the lot finished. So I walk in there expecting it to be only $145 or so. Nope. $300. I complained but the tech wouldn't discount the job and threatened to take off some 'discount' that I knew nothing about. I didn't think $300 for a 45 minute job was really all that fair. Should have raised a ruckus but decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

That's all I know about Duncan Systems.

As far as foggy windows though...I came up with a DIY method that's worked well for me on a couple windows: House repairs & fixes…

Doesn't cost much more then time. Windows are pretty easy to remove.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote