Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #1

I'd like to purchase an RV (grew up camping in tent trailers). I'm a single woman with 2 young kids and want to know which type of RV is the easiest to tow, easiest to set-up and still easy on the budget (under 20K). I was initally told that 5th wheels were to hard for a woman but I've just returned from a trade show and the salesman was telling me they're easier than a TT.

Other factors to consider: I'll purchase my tow vehicle after the RV. I don't want to pull anything longer than 21 feet, and I don't want a hybrid. I was pretty much sold on the Fun Finder X (139 or 160) but now I'm doubting my ability to pull/set-up a TT.

Looking forward to your advice
RV-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #2

I'd like to purchase an RV (grew up camping in tent trailers). I'm a single woman with 2 young kids and want to know which type of RV is the easiest to tow, easiest to set-up and still easy on the budget (under 20K). I was initally told that 5th wheels were to hard for a woman but I've just returned from a trade show and the salesman was telling me they're easier than a TT.

Other factors to consider: I'll purchase my tow vehicle after the RV. I don't want to pull anything longer than 21 feet, and I don't want a hybrid. I was pretty much sold on the Fun Finder X (139 or 160) but now I'm doubting my ability to pull/set-up a TT.

Looking forward to your advice
RV-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #3

First off, Welcome to IRV2.

The hardest part of towing a trailer will be backing the unit. But, alot of RV parks have pull through sites which makes it easier. And with some practice, you can back a TT with limited problems.
Is there someone around that can show/ instruct you in towing/ backing a TT?

As for set-up. Setting some jacks, leveling the unit are all things that can be easily done with practice.

Just make sure you get the proper size tow vehicle. This too will dictate how your overall rig will handle.
Long Tow Vehicle vs. Short TT = More difficult to back up.
Just some things to consider.
Good Luck and most of all, have fun with your new unit.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:13 PM   #4

hello,
who ever told you that it was hard to setup had never set one up!!!
id say its a heck of a lot easier, then setting up a tt... especially if you get a electric
lift for your landing gear...
ive got a 2000 thor tahoe glide lite it weighs 5700lbs its 23ft long, sleeps 6
and awsume to pull
Old 06-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Why not a motorhome? Believe it or not, there are plenty of nice used ones around and within your $20K budget too. Older motorhomes without slides are selling for peanuts these days, yet are still great RVs and often in pristine condition.

In my opinion, hooking up a car behind a motorhome is easier than hitching a trailer and driving one is a breeze.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Class C motorhome. You don't have to get out of your motorhome at a rest stop to use the toilet. This is what my wife likes. Especially when you see some of the people hanging around freeway rest stops.
Class C is easier to drive. Just pull into RV park. Plug it in. Done. Have fun.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:53 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Let me start by welcoming you to iRV2.com. I'm sure you will find a much more relaxed and informative experience here than most web forums. I hope (but I'm sure) you will continue to visit us and do not be afraid to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one not asked!

TT's or 5er's; matter of choice. I have a 5er and it pulls easy and setup in less than 20 minutes. TT's aren't much different. The biggest difference between the two is the tow vehicle. 5er's generally need a bigger (not necessarily size wise, but in towing capacities) than a TT does. You are wise to get the TV after the trailer. That way you know what kind of TV to get. Just remember - the longer the wheelbase the more stable it will tow.

I was going to suggest a Class C also for the reason already mentioned.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV-newbie:
I'll purchase my tow vehicle after the RV. I don't want to pull anything longer than 21 feet, and I don't want a hybrid.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two suggestions for you. First, when you buy your tow vehicle (if new) be sure to order the factory tow package. For very few dollars it adds important features to the truck that would cost you more than triple IF you could add all the features "after-market." Second, remember that if you tow a 21' travel trailer you have 21' of trailer behind the back bumper of your truck (see my signature). If you tow a 21' 5th wheel, you have approx. 18' of trailer behind your back bumper.

I have no difficulty backing any trailer. Remember, much of your truck bed will be filled with a hitch for a 5th wheel, while all of the bed will be useful for other supplies if you pull a travel trailer.

There are lots of pros & cons on which type of trailer works best. The best choice you can make is getting a trailer that best fits your particular needs.

Welcome to the "club."

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:06 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I've got a MH, so I'd have to agree, you may find a Class C fits you and the kids better. Definitely easiest. But you know best what fits your lifestyle. I don't have any first-hand tow experience, but have been told by many others that a 5er is easier on the road than a TT, for sway and stability. You came to the right place here-- visit dealers, then come back here to ask questions. Some sales people only want the sale, and you may not get a straight answer.
You'll learn what you need to for whatever you buy. Gender is pretty much a non-issue in rv'ing!!
Old 06-20-2006, 03:05 AM   #10

I have towed a 24 foot TT and it was pretty easy. As others have said, just remember to get the right tow vehicle.

I have to disagree about the motor home. I know it is easier to park than a TT but they are a lot more expensive for car insurance. Insurance companies will consider a motor home another vehicle that can be used 365 days a year. A travel trailer can only be towed and won't be used as often as a motor home can be on the road. At least here in CT the savings in insurance would be worth it to me to get a TT.

I have never towed a 5'r before, but as someone already said, you can use the back of a pickup truck for supplies instead of for a camper.

Set up is really easy. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to set up. Enjoy whatever you buy!

Matthew
Ernhrts3n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:51 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Being a woman should make no differecne. You are just as capable as any man here to learn to tow a trailer or drive a motor home. From my experiance when I was a single father, the 5th wheel was easier to hook and unhook from the truck. No weight distributing hitches and sway bars to mess with. With a fifth wheel you can see the hitch in the bed of the truck and lining it up with the king pin is much easier. With a travel trailer, it is much more difficult to line up the hitch when hooking up because you can not see the hitch. As for the rest of the set up process, it is the same. Level the trailer, chock the wheels, set your jacks, and hook up the water, sewer and electric. Most 21' trailers, including 5th wheels, are light enough to tow with a good 1/2 ton pickup. The only thing to consider with a 5th wheel, is you eliminate SUV's as tow vehicles. To me, the smaller class C's where to small. You will find much more usable space in the same size trailer. Although motorhomes do have their advantages as mentioned above. Keep looking at all the options until you find what best suits your needs, and once you have picked out a trailer, make sure you get a capable tow vehicle. And by all means keep coming back here to ask questions. There is plenty of great help to be found.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:42 AM   #12

There is a single woman that just joined our Arctic Fox / Nash group here in AZ. She got a 24' Nash 5th wheel and a Dodge 2500 short box with the 5.7L Hemi. It looks like a great combo for her needs. Getting a used 5th wheel in the lower 20' range for around $20 should not be hard at all. If you buy new, you will pay quite a bit more. Late model used can save a lot of $$$. I think a 5th wheel is much easier to hook up and unhook than a TT, and handles better too.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:59 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
A motor home is the safest way for a woman to travel. Don't have to get out to use the restroom, get food or anything. Easy to set up and you can get an economical little car to tow. Your every day driving will be a lot cheaper, no driving a big truck to go to the grocery store, etc. On a lower end MH the insurance is a small price to pay for the safety and ease of use. It doesn't cost that much.
ruby2sday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:17 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Having owned all three (5th wheel, TT, Bus Conversion) I'd suggest you stick with a motorhome. Pull onto your site; lower the leveling jacks from the drivers seat and you're done! (not included are utility hookups - same no matter what you purchase) Most any motorhome can tow a small car - they are very easy to hookup as well.

My $.02

don
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote