Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2016, 10:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
East TN fires

Been watching he local news in East TN. This has been a very dry year and we are in severe drought conditions.

The local stations interrupted the national feed to show the wild fires approaching Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge. There was a mandatory evacuation called for earlier this evening and the local news. The video shows fires close into downtown Gatlinburg, fires at at the base of the Park Vista Hotel.

Almost a surreal scene. Time lapse video showing the fires approaching Gatlinburg. The spur road from Pigion Forge to Gatlinburg is closed. Fires close to Dollywood,

Rains are moving in, hope it is enough to stop the spread.

Pray for East TN
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #2

I have a brother who retired and built a home near there. Just sent him an email. He has been having trouble with his well because of the drought.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I saw a picture of the Mountain Lodge restaurant burning. It is very close to the RV park we use, Twin Creeks RV Resort. I wonder how they made out?
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I sure hope they can save DollyWood. That would be a major blow to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge economy!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I sure hope they can save DollyWood. That would be a major blow to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge economy!
so far Dollywood seems to have been spared the brunt of the conflagration. Such a beautiful area when I was last there a few years back; the whole deal saddens me Gatlinburg fire: Ripley's Aquarium, Dollywood says all animals are safe | AL.com
Old 11-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
On I 75 just north of Knoxville up in the hills, we were stopped dead while a Chinook helo made a water drop on a forest fire near the road.
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #7

If you want to read about Gatlinburg, see KnoxNews.com for their newspaper.

It looks as if about 1/2 of the City of Gatlinburg is gone. But there were actually more structures at incorporated places like Wears Valley and Pigeon Forge damaged than in Gatlinburg.

I've probably spent a few hundred nights in my life in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, so this is a disturbing freak of nature.

We've often stayed in a big cabin built in the 1930's by the CCC--at the foot of the hill below the 16 story hotel up on the hill that burned. It's got wooden walls and ceilings. I expect it's gone.

Removing the burned structures and rebuilding is going to be a monumental task, and I doubt the area has enough construction companies and excavators to do the job. It's going to be an insurance nightmare, since so many homes are rentals--not lived in.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

It looks as if about 1/2 of the City of Gatlinburg is gone. But there were actually more structures at incorporated places like Wears Valley and Pigeon Forge damaged than in Gatlinburg.

Actually the downtown area of Gatlinburg faired pretty well with little damage. There was damage to outskirts of Gatlinburg. Pigeon Forge was left pretty much untouched although the fires did get very close. There are 3 residential areas surrounding Gatlinburg that were hit very hard with +150 homes lost. Westgate resort lost 1/2 of the buildings. The Treetops also was hit hard. As of now they say +700 structures damaged in Gatlinburg and Sevier county, in most of these cases the structure was a total loss. +17000 acres were burned. Unfortunately the death toll has climbed to 10 but there are still a number of missing people.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire