Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2022, 08:17 PM   #1

eBike batt charging from RV batts?

I could see myself riding an ebike up and down dirt forest roads and trails while boondocking. No shore power. I'd rather not carry a generator and gas. My RV electric power usage (camping alone) is usually pretty modest. So my question is: with an inverter, 200W of solar panel, and a pair of 6V batteries (and assuming sunny weather), would it be feasible to recharge an ebike battery after riding 20-30 miles in a day without dragging my battery bank too low?

How large would the inverter have to be? Perhaps some ebike owners could look at their chargers and tell me how much power they draw.

I'm just thinking ahead and trying to decide if my idea is practical or impractical. I know there are other options and possibilities, but I'm trying to keep this fairly specific. Thanks in advance!

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2022, 08:35 PM   #2

I do that with my Lectric ebike. A 150 watt cigarette lighter outlet inverter works fine.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:40 PM   #3

have a Magnum Peak T5 with a 500 watt Bafang motor and a 47aH battery pack. My charger shows 125Volt in @ 2.5 Amps, 52Volt out @ 2.0 amps. Usually takes about 6 hours to recharge after going 30 miles, reserve meter shows 20% capacity left. Hope this helps.
DADSDOGHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:40 PM   #4

It would help to know the voltage and ah of your battery .

The DW and I have 1000w 48v motors on our bikes with 48v 20ah batteries . This gives us a cruising range of 60 mi. on a full battery .

The recommended charging rate for our batteries is 2 amp . So a 50% discharged battery takes 5 hrs. to fully charge .

We have dual 6v GC's for our house bank with a 2000w inverter . We've charged both bike batteries at the same time without any issues .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:41 PM   #5

Do they make a DC charger? That would be more efficient that using 120v.

How many AH are your bike batteries?

Solar produces about 5 amp (at 12v) per 100 watts. This is at peak performance.

It is really a math problem. Do you have more power coming in (charging) than going out (RV use including bike charging)? For example it rained hard here last week. There were 4-5 days where solar would not keep up with our use and had to run the generator. The 2 weeks before that we made more power than we used.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:07 PM   #6

Thanks, folks, for the useful info. I haven't bought an ebike yet. I have a deposit in for a new trailer, though, and an inverter is one of the options on the build sheet. I can also have an outside outlet to charge that li-ion batt outside the trailer... maybe in a fire retardant bag. Like I said, I'm thinking ahead. Glad to have confirmation that my idea isn't crazy or that I was missing something important.

I toyed briefly with the idea of a dual sport motorbike, but I've never been a motorcycle rider, I'd probably need to trade the SUV for a pickup, upgrade the DL, tag and insure the thing, and motorbikes sound annoying to me anyway. A fat tire e-bike with suspension will be much simpler to deal with all the way around.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:14 PM   #7

Here's a recent post to read if you haven't already:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/fire...ry-582719.html
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADSDOGHOUSE View Post
have a Magnum Peak T5 with a 500 watt Bafang motor and a 47aH battery pack. My charger shows 125Volt in @ 2.5 Amps, 52Volt out @ 2.0 amps. Usually takes about 6 hours to recharge after going 30 miles, reserve meter shows 20% capacity left. Hope this helps.
I seriously doubt you have a 47AH battery.....they normally come with a 15AH battery. 2 amps of charging for 6 hours would give you about 12AH, which is consistent with being at about 20% SOC left in the battery. Hopefully you 47AH is a simple "typo".
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:40 AM   #9
Community Moderator

I would make sure the inverter is a “pure sine wave” type versus the “modified sine wave” type. The latter is a less expensive unit which is frequently responsible for destroying some electronic items (like battery chargers, etc).
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging