Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2019, 10:49 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ebikes, No toad.

I researched ebikes for a couple of months.

Finally bought a Biktrix Ultra. With a big motor (1500w) and their biggest battery I can go 35+ mph. Best range to date is 65 miles....but there's lots more pedaling involved. I'm getting some great work outs and going further with the dang thing.

Ebike motors come from all over with Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano, Panasonic, Etc. The Chinese have some decent motors from a Co. called "Bafang". If you have nice bike already, there are kits to switch it over to being an Ebike. They start at $500'ish. The batteries are Li-Ion, which are pretty well sorted out these days.

There are so many new Ebikes to choose from and prices go from about $700(no name, really) to $12,000(Specialized S-Works). Most local bike shops now have them for demo rides. If you try one out you'll see immediately why they have become so popular.

For RVing, both the wife and I are going to have them and try going without a toad for awhile.

"Happy motoring !"
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 12:00 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How much does your bike weigh and how long to charge the battery?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The bike isn't light or small, 60 lbs. The battery will charge from 10% to 100% in 3 hours.
Thought about getting a spare battery, but they run about $700 and I don't do Century (100 mile) rides anymore.

There are some good folding bikes that will fit in a bin...like this one:
https://lunacycle.com/luna-folding-ebike/
Old 01-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #5

Going without a toad would work for some but we love to travel backroads (gravel, rocks, etc) to really see the countryside. Going without would never work for us. Plus, nice weather isn't guaranteed.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We actually travel with our toad and e-bikes. We couldn't do what we do without either. The jeep gets us to our trail heads for hiking and the bird are used for through hikes to get back to our starting point.
E-bikes are awesome!!!!
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have been looking at ebikes for several months now. I don't think for us it would totally eliminate a toad but on some trips, I could definitely see us bringing the bikes only. Say for instance if we went back to Gatlinburg or another city where we were going to stay in the city during the day visiting and shopping and then heading back to the campground.

We have been considering the Rad Bikes and Evelo. Big investment for sure.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner

I've been flying over NM, CO and Utah for years...there are so many backroads and trails to cover!

Can't wait to explore them on a bike.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #9

1500W motors and 35MPH might move you into the motorcycle category in some jurisdictions. Be sure you know the laws where you ride on something with that much power. You might need license plates, special drivers license and there may be insurance requirements.

Here's a general discussion

https://www.electricbike.com/electric-bike-law/

State laws differ and in many places there are also local laws to navigate.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
1500W motors and 35MPH might move you into the motorcycle category in some jurisdictions. Be sure you know the laws where you ride on something with that much power.
Also need to watch out for many local laws that do not allow any form of motorized transportation on the bike and hike only trails. Just because the sign says "Bikes only", does not necessarily mean that E-bikes are allowed.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:07 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I have been looking at ebikes for several months now. I don't think for us it would totally eliminate a toad but on some trips, I could definitely see us bringing the bikes only. Say for instance if we went back to Gatlinburg or another city where we were going to stay in the city during the day visiting and shopping and then heading back to the campground.

We have been considering the Rad Bikes and Evelo. Big investment for sure.
I have the RAD Rover with the 4" tires, LOVE IT!!!! goes anywhere. still get a work out just depends on how much assist I want to dial up. Haven't been on my old bike since I got the RAD it just might be for sale now.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:32 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
I have the RAD Rover with the 4" tires, LOVE IT!!!! goes anywhere. still get a work out just depends on how much assist I want to dial up. Haven't been on my old bike since I got the RAD it just might be for sale now.
+++++

Roger that, I've got a 14lb Colnago that is an amazing road bike...it doesn't get out much since the Ebike showed up. I'm wondering if I oughta convert my Carbon Specialized mountain bike to electric?

The Biktrix cruises nicely at 20mph and it hasn't attracted Barney Fife so far. Courtesy and common sense on the trail go a long way in staying out of trouble. Europe's restrictive ebike laws aren't here....yet.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #13

If it's going to replace a toad I think it would need to do everything a toad does, like get you home in a rainstorm, carry 10 Walmart grocery bags, take you to your doctors appointment, help pull your RV out of the sand, go get groceries when it's 30° outside, and I'm sure many other things that I don't know about because I don't have a toad, I live in a fifth wheel.

Tom
Old 01-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
Glad to hear you are happy with the bike. We are looking at the RadCity for me and the RadCity Step through for my wife. We will mostly be on city roads but maybe occasionally off road, nothing crazy though. Thanks for taking the time to post.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad