Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
The EPA is busting those vendors with huge fines and cease and desist orders. If you have that kind of money go for it. Fix it right and move on.

Diesel brothers did it on TV and got fined some serious bucks, close to a million. If there show wasn't followed by such a mass of people, they'd be in jail. Look at me I'm rolling coal!
Conesus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventana Boy View Post
Just deleted my DPF, a lot easier to do than the EGR.
Getting the "Diesel Spec" downloaded via the HD connection.
This is the most expensive part, it'll cost anywhere between $3,000 to $3,500. It must be done to protect the engine and the transmission, this is an actual tune, this is different from the Dodge add-ons, those will kill your engine even if you can get it to work. They are only good for Dodge Cummins not for big heavy duty Cummins installed in RVs.
I hope this helps.👍
My Dodge Ram is a 6.7L Cummins ..... what's the difference ?
Old 09-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafitte1 View Post

Ram does not use a Cummins ECM

And most of the tuners for the Ram Cummins combo are absolutely garbage. Sure plenty of transmission input shaft snapping power and clouds of black smoke coolness. But its killing the engine, head gaskets, piston slap/cylinder wear, injector erosion and pump issues.

I would not let them tune my $30k Cummins big engine.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafitte1 View Post
About 20,000 pounds?
Ventana Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Ram does not use a Cummins ECM

And most of the tuners for the Ram Cummins combo are absolutely garbage. Sure plenty of transmission input shaft snapping power and clouds of black smoke coolness. But its killing the engine, head gaskets, piston slap/cylinder wear, injector erosion and pump issues.

I would not let them tune my $30k Cummins big engine.
Really were are you getting your information from.

The reason I ask is. I have attended the last two CMEP (Columbus Mid-Range Engine Plant) tours held there for the Cummins engine and Ram trucks. Several times the Cummins tour guide in both plant tours that I attended, it was point out that they were shipping a completed and tested engine to Ram. To me, this would include the ECM (Cummins part NO. is on my ECM BTW) since it is needed to control fuel delivery system and all of the other electronics that are installed on the engine.

Also you are slightly incorrect on your second statement. If the tune/program is down correctly than none of your observation about impending doom of a diesel engine will take place.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Hi,

I have seized EGR valve on a 2007 6.7L ISB, mounted in a 2008 Newmar Ventana 3332.

I've been quoted from $1000.00 to $1600.00 for a new valve.

it took 300L of Diesel to travel 800km.

I've decided to delete the EGR and Cooler.

Where is the data link connector to disable the alarms?

I bought this unit used in January and have yet to take it anywhere far due to all the issues:
Failed Provincial Inspection from a faulty exhaust manifold Gasket, bad rear shock absorber and leveling system malfunctioning.
Came back to redo the differential, and replace 64 square feet of roof and repair faulty AC dash unit.
Went on a second trip to Cranbrook BC from Calgary and back, that's when I got all the error codes and horrible mileage, about 2.5km/L, that's terrible.

This is my first post, please help me.
Call Garth at Full Throttle Diesel Service in Rocky Mountain House. Deleting Cummins is what he does all day, every day. You can also discuss any legal implications with him.
https://m.facebook.com/Full-Throttle...5049007174808/
Old 09-24-2020, 07:34 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Really were are you getting your information from.

The reason I ask is. I have attended the last two CMEP (Columbus Mid-Range Engine Plant) tours held there for the Cummins engine and Ram trucks. Several times the Cummins tour guide in both plant tours that I attended, it was point out that they were shipping a completed and tested engine to Ram. To me, this would include the ECM (Cummins part NO. is on my ECM BTW) since it is needed to control fuel delivery system and all of the other electronics that are installed on the engine.

Also you are slightly incorrect on your second statement. If the tune/program is down correctly than none of your observation about impending doom of a diesel engine will take place.
Well, thanks for your input
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #36

VB that stupid valve costs nearly a $1000 US
Old 09-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #37

Quote:
About 20,000 pounds?
Everything made or sold by Cummins or their partners will cost 4 x more than stuff made for Dodge Ram
Old 09-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #38

I also follow a Ford diesel truck blog, and It is full of posts from people who thought they knew better than the original engineers and purchased programs to delete this and that on diesel engines, the posts usually involve a horror story about why now the truck doesn't run properly etc. Many states in the US are stepping up testing and enforcement of pollution laws regarding diesel engines. The fine for being caught on the highway with any part of the control equipment deleted are HUGE!, and reinstalling the equipment and retuning the vehicle to factory specs are also huge. Yes these systems are often expensive to maintain, but that's all part of RVing. My advice is don't delete it......fix it!
retiredpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #39

Hated to see a moderator have to break up the fight but a thread like this could be a help for a lot of people. I guess it’s over and that’s too bad. I don’t have a diesel myself but like to learn how to maintain and make changes. Did anybody win or did we all lose?
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #40

If you go ahead and do the egr delete you can expect no Cummins dealer will touch your engine again until the egr system is reinstalled. They can get a monster fine for having your unit in there yard. If your caught with an egr, def or dpf delete you will have 7 days to show that you have complied with the ticket or you will have a nice big fine. Google egr delete fines.
This not a story this is fact. EPA is making the company that makes the delete kits by them all back under a big lawsuit.
Just so you understand it’s against the law in Canada and USA to alter any 2007 and newer diesel exhaust system.
Saying that with the delete you will get more power and better fuel mileage.
Good luck
cmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:01 PM   #41

EGR

WHEW!! Thankful for my 02 ISC that doesn’t have any of that crap.
I was convinced to stay away from EPA mods after having a road truck that went down once a year, usually in some out of the way place, because the EGR went down. Average cost $3000 and a week out of commission.
gilcolog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #42

My 1980's Kiki Pump Turbo Diesel in my car has a mechanical injector pump with a mechanical EGR system and poppet injectors with the only computer in the vehicle being my cell phone or GPS and personally I would not delete the EGR system to go back to the old days of open diesel crank cases and massive slobber tube output potentially leaving a trail on the roadway. Crankcase pressure needs to be vented somewhere and without a properly working EGR system it will only get vented to atmosphere and potentially not keep the level of acid build up in the motor oil to a minimum.

Closing in on 500,000 miles on mine with the EGR intact and all is well.

Maintain it as designed and hopefully diesels will not get banned here in North America as quickly as they currently are in the rest of the world.

Lets face it that in some parts of the world for some time now you have not been allowed to drive a diesel into a populated or environmentally sensitive area and have to leave the diesel or out of spec gasoline powered vehicle outside the limits and switch to a vehicle that meets the environmental standards for that area or you will have to walk, pedal a bicycle or take public transportation.

It would be really sad to see diesel motor homes disallowed from entering National Parks and other areas in North America because too many tinkered with mandated systems.

Over the next 5 to 15 years it will get very interesting to say the least as more and more restrictions get levied against ICE powered vehicles and those who defeat mandated systems. We can play nice now or continue to wrangle ways to defeat these systems and then have to deal with the repercussions which could end up being the eventual outright banning of ICE powered vehicles for private ownership altogether.