Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Electric Club Cart or Gas Cart as a get around vehicle

I am asking the RV forum, if you have the knowledge, what the RV Parks allow. I've been told most do not allow gas carts to operate in their parks and that the parks permit electric golf carts for the local transport. I am at a place where I need to take my comforts with me to further enjoy the life of retirement. I am wanting to have the ability to set up in an RV spot and enjoy the life of an RVer. However, things go broke or we forget to stock up the fridge with a good bottle of red wine and may have to run to the local spots to get auto parts or wine or some type of food article. I would like to keep my independence and have a cart to go visit 1/2 mile away or go 10 miles to the nearest town and get the repair parts I may need. What do the more experienced people have to share to help me and my beautiful bride make the choices we need to make for transportation while RVing?
Cowboy0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure if I have an good answer. You'll need something large enough to travel on public roads and be licensed for the state your in. Not a scooter or electric mobility type vehicle. There are golf cart type vehicles that can be used on roads legally. They're called NEV/LSV here in California. Restricted to certain retirement communities usually (Del Web).

Not sure how that would work getting it on your RV. Would need to tow it.

Perhaps a toad would work for you. Plenty of freedom there.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #3

Some but not all parks ban gas golf carts also with a electric you don't have to carry gas with you, Outside the park most towns or citys won't allow golf carts on the street although their are some in high vacation usage citys that will allow carts as long as they have legal lights etc, hope this helps.
2002guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #4

In order to go out on the street to run errands your Cart must be street legal. In order to be street legal you will need lights,rear view mirrors etc, tags and insurance. If you are street legal have tags and insurance the campground must allow you to enter and exit the campground as any other street legal vehicle. They may restrict you from riding around the campground, however, especially if you are a gas vehicle due to noise. I have run into this with my motorcycle where a campground said they did not allow motorcycles. They can not discriminate against a liscensed vehicle from entering or exiting. I know someone will soon post that they know of a campground that does not allow Carts but that is illegal. However I would not want to stay at such a campground anyway.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:37 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Thank you all for your input. I failed to mention that we plan to tow a cargo trailer loaded with my motorcycle and hopefully, some kind of street legal cart.
Cowboy0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy0001 View Post
I am asking the RV forum, if you have the knowledge, what the RV Parks allow. I've been told most do not allow gas carts to operate in their parks and that the parks permit electric golf carts for the local transport. I am at a place where I need to take my comforts with me to further enjoy the life of retirement. I am wanting to have the ability to set up in an RV spot and enjoy the life of an RVer. However, things go broke or we forget to stock up the fridge with a good bottle of red wine and may have to run to the local spots to get auto parts or wine or some type of food article. I would like to keep my independence and have a cart to go visit 1/2 mile away or go 10 miles to the nearest town and get the repair parts I may need. What do the more experienced people have to share to help me and my beautiful bride make the choices we need to make for transportation while RVing?
This is really going to depend on the state and even the local government where you will be traveling. As others have mentioned, the cart must be street legal and insured. In our town, carts are allowed on any street where the speed limit is 35 mph or lower. So in effect, you cannot travel on any major roadways, although you may cross them. In our case, we could get around much of the town from our house by using side streets and only crossing the major roads. However, most of the RV parks in our town are on major roadways, so if you were staying in one of those, you would be limited to the park.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:39 AM   #7

Same here, we can take our golf cart all around town crossing at certain streets. We have a campground a few miles away but there are no roads to get there legally or safely. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:49 AM   #8

Georgia says:

O.C.G.A. § 40-6-363
GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2012 by The State of
Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current Through the 2011 Extraordinary Session ***

TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 6. UNIFORM RULES OF THE ROAD
ARTICLE 13. SPECIAL PROVISIONS FOR CERTAIN VEHICLES
PART 6. PERSONAL TRANSPORTATION VEHICLES

O.C.G.A. § 40-6-363 (2012)

§ 40-6-363. (Effective January 1, 2012) Safety equipment required for personal transportation vehicles

(a) This part shall have no application to any county or municipality that has enacted prior to January 1, 2012, an ordinance authorizing the operation of motorized carts pursuant to Code Section 40-6-331.

(b) In addition to the requirements contained in paragraph (43.1) of Code Section 40-1-1, all personal transportation vehicles shall have the following equipment:

(1) A braking system sufficient for the weight and passenger capacity of the vehicle, including a parking brake;

(2) A reverse warning device functional at all times when the directional control is in the reverse position;

(3) A main power switch. When the switch is in the "off" position, or the key or other device that activates the switch is removed, the motive power circuit shall be inoperative. If the switch uses a key, it shall be removable only in the "off" position;

(4) Head lamps;

(5) Reflex reflectors;

(6) Tail lamps;

(7) A horn;

(8) A rearview mirror;

(9) Safety warning labels; and

(10) Hip restraints and hand holds.
HISTORY: Code 1981, § 40-6-363, enacted by Ga. L. 2011, p. 247, § 2/SB 240

They have left it up to the county/cities to determine where you can ride. It's not technically legal where I live, but I have driven my EZGO RXV 48V all over and passed many cops with no issues.

We bought our cart after a trip to Myrtle Beach. I don't think any of the CG's there allow gas carts. Pirateland and Lakewood don't even allow outside carts anymore.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:36 AM   #9
Community Moderator

golf cart

We own a toy hauler and take our gas golf cart with us when traveling. In June we will be going full time and will have the golf cart with us. Our golf cart is street legal here in Ohio and we have been to several spots were golf carts are allowed. We have been to Stone Mountain, Dauphin Island Al., Pensacola Beach, Myrtle Beach, and some other areas.

As mentioned not only do you need all the equipment as stated but to get tags in Ohio we also needed a "certificate of manufacturer" (similar to a title) but it comes from the seller to get the title and tags.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #10

This may give you some ideas: Street-legal electric cars/LSV=low speed vehicles.
This one had a top speed of 30 MPH, and is much better than a street-legal golf cart; fully enclosed so rainy days are not a factor.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy0001 View Post
Thank you all for your input. I failed to mention that we plan to tow a cargo trailer loaded with my motorcycle and hopefully, some kind of street legal cart.
Why not just use your cycle instead of hauling another big thing?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Why not just use your cycle instead of hauling another big thing?
Motorcycles aren't much good as grocery-getters, especially in rain.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, gas