Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #1

Electric Fireplace in the RV

Who has them and how much heat do they put out... if any?

When we got our TT, I saw several units with fireplaces. I thought that they were silly, but now I usually drag along an electric heater in the cooler months. I'm wondering if the fireplace is not so silly after all.

Has anyone had any issues with them?

Thanks
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
We really like ours. It doesn't put much more heat out than a good hair dryer, but it does work well on cool nights. Only problems have been that it's difficult to take out and clean, and this really needs to be done yearly.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We had an electric fireplace in our last 5er before getting the MH. We loved it! You can have the fireplace "burning" with or without heat. It's very relaxing to sit there and relax watching the flames!

We used ours for heat a lot! It had a built-in 1500 watt heater with blower, same as most of the portable heaters.

I wish we had someplace to install one in the MH!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #4

We have had one in each of our coaches (two). They are great. They won't heat your entire coach but they are just right for knocking the chill out in the mornings. I think they are about 800 to 1000 watt. I would not have another coach without one.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
We really like ours. It doesn't put much more heat out than a good hair dryer, but it does work well on cool nights. Only problems have been that it's difficult to take out and clean, and this really needs to be done yearly.
So I'm very well versed in wood fireplaces and stoves, but what would you clean on an electric unit?
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We had an electric fireplace in our last 5er before getting the MH. We loved it! You can have the fireplace "burning" with or without heat. It's very relaxing to sit there and relax watching the flames!

We used ours for heat a lot! It had a built-in 1500 watt heater with blower, same as most of the portable heaters.

I wish we had someplace to install one in the MH!
Hello, Joe.

We bought a Twin Star 34" electric fireplace at Lowe's for our S&B. It is only about 2" wide, and you can mount it on a wall like a TV, or simply use the floor stand and place it anywhere near an outlet. We started using it in our moho instead of the portable heaters, and we love it. You are right, all of the different flame settings are very hypnotic, I just looked at it and now I need a nap!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
So I'm very well versed in wood fireplaces and stoves, but what would you clean on an electric unit?
I just cleaned ours this morning! There are 2 small motors and blowers that I reach with a can of air, like cleaning your computer with. There are vents at the top and bottom along the back, we keep ours on the floor stand so it is very easy to get to. You will be amazed at the amount of dust that collects in these.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #8

We love ours, it puts out a lot of heat and is perfect for sitting and watching TV on a cold night/morning. It has a three speed fan and can be set for flame only or heat and flame. It puts out just as much heat as a portable electric heater and way more than a blow dryer as stated before. I don't think it will heat the whole MH but in the cold mornings it definitely takes the chill away where we don't have to use our Heat Pumps or Furnace. I thought it was silly at first but now we love it, ours actually looks like a real fire. I'm not sure what the other poster is referring to re cleaning all we do is vacuum any dust off/check the interior/grates ect, but it stays really clean.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We opted against a fireplace. Other than looking nice, they offer no advantages over a portable heater. All inside heaters of that type are limited to 1500 watts. We got two portable Lasko small towers from WM. We move them where they are needed (livingroom, bath, bedroom), they put out 1500 watts each, store under the bed and we gain the storage space we would loose with a fireplace.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #10

We love our portable fireplace, looks like a pot belly stove. We move it around the M/H and if required it provides great heat.
Ted
Old 03-13-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If I had ordered our coach, I probably wouldn't have ordered it with a fireplace. We never had one before and I felt like "Caat320". In the past, we just used space heaters. BUT......that all changed! Our new coach came with a fireplace and we LOVE it. It's located against a side wall in the center of the living area. It's incorporated into a cabinet that has the main TV that rises on a televator. It has two fan speeds and quickly takes the chill off the main living area. On a 40-50 degree night, it keeps the front of the coach toasty.

The adjustable flames is nice and my wife loves to have it on. For me, the convenience of not having to drag out the portable heaters is very convenient. On mornings where I would typically just wait for the coach to warm up because I didn't want to dig out the electric heater, I just turn on the heater for a few minutes and I'm done.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #12

We had one in the fifth wheel we used to have. I wasn't impressed at all with it. I would rather have the cabinet space it takes up.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #13

There is definitely a benefit and the space they take up does not affect our storage capacity, you are really talking about half the space it takes to carry two portable ones. We still have cabinets and other storage areas that aren't filled up yet and my wife is just dying to go buy more stuff. Like Don said one push on the remote and our MH is getting toasty, much easier than pulling out a portable heater. Also I know this one is safe and can't start a fire by getting knocked over or left on too close to furniture/blankets ect.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #14

We have one in our Tiffin and we love it. It takes up very little space and has a remote control with it. It is great in the morning when it is cold and all I have to do is hit the remote from the bed and it starts warming the MH up. It is rated 1500 watts.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace